Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 09:22 AM

12 posts, read 25,732 times

Advertisements

Don't have an account so my sister suggested I use this for my one question
Right now I make about 2k in take home money a month but my yearly salary is 40k. They kill me with taxes and insurance.. Anywho. I'm looking to move. I live in South Boston and pay $950 in rent because I qualify for affordables since 40k in Boston is low income. Well right now I'm cramped in a one bedroom and work hard every day with neighbors that don't work and is on food stamps. My parents hate where I live mainly because the demographics. I hate it because that and me and my 5yr old share a room. I found an apt in The Weymouth/rockland area that's $1200 a month and I feel like can pay it but it will be tight. I work in Arlington so the commute might be a nightmare. It took me an hr from work to my daughters school and to Weymouth on a trial run during traffic. Do you think it's a good idea to move moneywise and commute wise. Would it be wise?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2012, 09:49 AM

1,708 posts, read 2,913,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveBoston View Post
Don't have an account so my sister suggested I use this for my one question
Right now I make about 2k in take home money a month but my yearly salary is 40k. They kill me with taxes and insurance.. Anywho. I'm looking to move. I live in South Boston and pay $950 in rent because I qualify for affordables since 40k in Boston is low income. Well right now I'm cramped in a one bedroom and work hard every day with neighbors that don't work and is on food stamps. My parents hate where I live mainly because the demographics. I hate it because that and me and my 5yr old share a room. I found an apt in The Weymouth/rockland area that's $1200 a month and I feel like can pay it but it will be tight. I work in Arlington so the commute might be a nightmare. It took me an hr from work to my daughters school and to Weymouth on a trial run during traffic. Do you think it's a good idea to move moneywise and commute wise. Would it be wise?
I know someone who pays 1200 for a one bed IN Arlington. There has to be better options out there. Look North of Boston, not south.

Old 03-14-2012, 10:38 AM

1200 for one bed.. That's the thing! I need a 2bd for around that price.

Old 03-14-2012, 10:59 AM

350 posts, read 1,091,062 times
Look to towns north and northwest of Arlington. Not only will the commuting time be better, you'll save a lot on gas. (Just imagine what you are currently proposing if gas goes to $4.50-$5.00/gallon.)

Old 03-14-2012, 11:16 AM

1,039 posts, read 3,453,797 times
Agreed, I don't know how nice a 2br you can find for $1200, but I would poke around the "Ws" - Watertown, Waltham, Waverley, Woburn, West Somerville, West Medford. Just leave out Winchester, Weston, and Wellesley.

Old 03-14-2012, 12:12 PM

Do you think I make enough for $1200 apt?

Old 03-14-2012, 12:43 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,040,258 times
How can anyone answer that without knowing your budget (debt, childcare, etc.)?

I will say that South Shore to Arlington sounds like a miserable commute.

Old 03-14-2012, 05:02 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,973,982 times
Factoring in the cost of gas with that commute I would imagine you would have a tough time making ends meet and that assuming you don't have any debt. I don't think $1200 for a 2 bedroom is that great of a deal to saddle yourself with an hour commute. If you look closer to your job and are diligent in your search you might be able to find something comparable. I'd consider looking for a 1 bedroom with a dining room or small office that you can convert to a bedroom for yourself or your child. It wouldn't be ideal but it would be an upgrade over your current situation. I know someone who pays $1100 for a 2 bedroom in Watertown so apartments like that do exist. Since it sounds like you drive to work try looking in areas that don't have public transportation nearby, that should help keep rents a bit lower.

Old 03-15-2012, 10:25 AM

350 posts, read 1,091,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveBoston View Post
Do you think I make enough for $1200 apt?
Do your math ... Figure out your take home pay, subtract $1200 and see what is left. Figure out how many miles roundtrip commuting would be, how many miles/gallon you get with you car, and how much gas would cost just for the commute. Then see how much is left ... based on your monthly expenses is this enough? Will you have enough left to still save some money and be prepared for an emergency? If not, then you don't make enough for $1200 apt and will need to look at other options.

Many times people throw a figure out there hoping to just hear that it is enough to live on ... perhaps they are just hoping that people will tell them what they want to hear. That is a dangerous way to figure what you can afford.

Old 03-15-2012, 04:54 PM

1,018 posts, read 3,381,276 times
to the op-

you make 2000 take home pay, do you live with your wife/girlfriend here she works also, or she is not there?

you currently pay 950 a month, your total household take home pay is 2000, that is a little under 50%. when you pay 1200 a month, that is over 50%. "safe" range is 30%. it will be hard for you, can your kid sleep in the living room?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston