Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2012, 01:11 PM

244 posts, read 644,646 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I *might* be looking for a place to live in the Quincy area that is within walking distance to the Red Line.

I'm not familiar with Quincy so I'm hoping folks here could give me the names of areas/sections of Quincy which are very close to Red Line stops.

Also, are there sections of Dorchester on the Red Line which you feel are truly safe and would be comfortable living? If my commute ends up being to Kendall Square, Cambridge I'm thinking that Quincy and/or Dorchester might be the most convenient spot to live and ride the Red Line. I think Cambridge/Somerville and most likely Arlington and the spots around Alewife are too pricey for me.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2012, 02:08 PM

2,729 posts, read 6,125,025 times
The neighborhoods surrounding the JFK/UMass stop in Dot are plenty safe. Also look around Andrew Sq stop on the Southie/Dot line. I don't think rents will be anymore money than those in Quincy.

Old 04-05-2012, 08:23 PM

3,755 posts, read 4,809,327 times
North Quincy is a great area to live. I used to live right near North Quincy High School and it was about a 5 minute walk to the T station. Also, there is a bus line that runs from Squantum to the T station so living closer to the water is not an issue getting to the T. There are a wide range of offerings within a half mile to mile radius of the North Quincy T stop. Also, Wollaston has a T stop, which even further opens up your area.

Personally, North Quincy is a better location that Quincy Center and Quincy Adams (both T stops). The closer to the city the better.

I was a big fan of the area. You have multiple super markets within a very short drive, there are both Walgreens and CVS locations. Multiple gas stations. Multiple Dunkin Donuts, plus a few other coffee places. A short walk or drive to Wollaston Beach which is nice to enjoy 7 months out of the year.

Right near the expressway and the city is a very short drive.

If you like Asian food there is a large population in the area which means there are a ton of Asian places.

Old 04-05-2012, 08:54 PM

Thanks so much Cliff and Tam88. I truly appreciate your help. Tam, do you know how long the T ride is from North Quincy to Kendall Square? I wouldn't expect it's over 30 minutes but I'm just curious. Thanks again.

Old 04-06-2012, 10:37 AM

3,755 posts, read 4,809,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer71 View Post
Thanks so much Cliff and Tam88. I truly appreciate your help. Tam, do you know how long the T ride is from North Quincy to Kendall Square? I wouldn't expect it's over 30 minutes but I'm just curious. Thanks again.
I would say from the moment the train leaves North Quincy you should be in Kendall Square within 20-30 minutes tops.

Old 04-06-2012, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
I would say from the moment the train leaves North Quincy you should be in Kendall Square within 20-30 minutes tops.
That's pretty quick!!!
Thanks again for your help. Much appreciated.
Now I just need to get that job in Kendall Square...THEN...find an apartment....(no small feat....fingers crossed)

Old 04-07-2012, 10:53 AM

16 posts, read 49,277 times
North Quincy or Wollaston is a great place to get an apartment and be close to downtown Boston or Cambridge. Easy commute . Both have plenty of multi family homes that are within walking distance to the red line train station. Wollaston is the most 3 minutes longer than North Quincy into Boston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston