Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 08:30 PM

316 posts, read 724,509 times

Advertisements

I'm very intrigued by Chelsea. I've spent almost all of my life in the Boston area and am well aware of Chelsea's problems, so please don't tell me about the crime, the fact that it's crowded, the ugliness of the Tobin - I know all that and can see past a lot of it. From what I've observed casually, there seem to be some good things going on in some pockets of the city.

I'm looking for a new home after finding myself priced out of much of the urban areas in and around Boston. I'm multilingual, definitely a city person, into multicultural communities and neighborhoods with people of all ages, families, etc. Not looking for or expecting a lot of yuppie infiltration either - cool with family-run ethnic restaurants, a bit of grime, etc.

Does anyone live in Chelsea and enjoy it? Why do you like it? Anyone similar to my demographic there?

Also considering Everett, Revere and East Boston, all three of which I know a bit better. Dorchester is also in the mix but is a bit farther away from most things I am used to. Again, let's try to keep this constructive / positive. Not all of us can afford to (or necessarily want to) live in swanky places after all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2012, 03:08 PM

79 posts, read 263,479 times
I don't know much about Chelsea, wish I could help you more. I've just passed through it on the commuter rail, that's about it, but I will say this -- I like the Tobin Bridge -- I think it's a cool structure, and aesthetically pleasing! I love trestle bridges like the Tobin and the Charlestown Bridge. Anyway, good luck with your Chelsea search!

Old 05-12-2012, 07:47 PM

313 posts, read 728,497 times
I live on the Prattville side of Chelsea. I really like it. Close to everything, but its very quiet back here. I can be downtown in minutes, but you'd never know it looking at my neighborhood.

Old 05-13-2012, 06:33 AM

316 posts, read 724,509 times
Great - this is helpful! Keep it coming

I am familiar with Prattville, and it seems like a great location. Do you drive most places or do you find that a lot of errands can be accomplished on foot?

Old 05-13-2012, 07:05 AM

12 posts, read 25,231 times
Of the 4 areas you mention East Boston area is the best for being 'on foot' (and actually if I didn't live in Revere and had to chose over for access/walkability I would chose EB) and where there are lots of cheap ethic eats, etc ...something to be said about being able to walk out your door and grab dinner around the corner w/o the car or the bus, etc....

If you have no car, I would actually rule out Revere (except possibly Beachmont) - even though I walk to the T to get to work it would be nearly impossible to do other errands on foot/by public transit (too much traffic here, busy roads w/o sidewalks, things are spread out so it's difficult to get from say Wonderland station to 'downtown' area to go to the bank and public transit is more geared toward people commuting than getting around....) - and Everett (unless you like buses - no trains there) for transportation/walkability - even Chelsea I think would be a little tricky without a car

Good luck

Old 05-13-2012, 10:41 AM

313 posts, read 728,497 times
As for Prattville, there are some convenience stores, car repair places, McDonalds, banks, all within a 5 minute walk. 10 minutes walk away there is a good-sized shopping center - Home Depot, CVS, Dollar Tree, Chili's, etc etc. However, a bus 111 stop is literally right around the corner from me, and it takes me everywhere, including right to the Haymarket T Stop/Orange line.

Old 05-14-2012, 12:49 AM

3,426 posts, read 8,910,845 times
If you call a cab to come pick you up in Chelsea, will the cab actually come?

I feel like this is the true test of where is livable

Old 05-14-2012, 06:40 AM

1,949 posts, read 4,424,162 times
One thing to consider, you say you don't want negativity and although some people go out of their way to be rude about it, you shouldn't dismiss it! One person here and their with an opinion is one thing, but MANY with the same opinion should be looked into. I did a quick search on one of the many crime stat sites and per that

Chance of becoming a victim:
Chelsea, MA 1 in 55
Massachusetts average 1-214

Crimes per square mile:
Chelsea, MA - 924
Mass Avg - 40

That says alot, wouldn't you think? Yes not every inch of Chelsea is a war zone and there are pockets of it with nice little neighborhoods in it. But the reality is it's not a great area at all. Call it opinion, but the numbers don't lie! Every site will have differences but when selecting a City to live in listen to opinion and take it for what it's worth, but don't ignore statistical FACT!

Old 05-14-2012, 06:56 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,450,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snatale1 View Post
One thing to consider, you say you don't want negativity and although some people go out of their way to be rude about it, you shouldn't dismiss it! One person here and their with an opinion is one thing, but MANY with the same opinion should be looked into. I did a quick search on one of the many crime stat sites and per that

Chelsea, MA 1 in 55

Crimes per square mile:
Chelsea, MA - 924
Mass Avg - 40

That says alot, wouldn't you think? Yes not every inch of Chelsea is a war zone and there are pockets of it with nice little neighborhoods in it. But the reality is it's not a great area at all. Call it opinion, but the numbers don't lie! Every site will have differences but when selecting a City to live in listen to opinion and take it for what it's worth, but don't ignore statistical FACT!
Exactly.
This is a web site to give people accurate information.
We could lie, and say it is the greatest city in the world, but that would be doing a disservice.
"I calls it as I sees it".
People are being factual. If interpreted as negativity, that is just due to the facts being presented.
Simple 'nuff.

Old 05-14-2012, 08:29 AM

2,726 posts, read 6,116,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snatale1 View Post
Chelsea, MA 1 in 55

Crimes per square mile:
Chelsea, MA - 924
Mass Avg - 40
Another thing to consider is...

People per square mile:
Chelsea, MA - 17,365
Mass Avg - 840

More people will always equal more crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston