Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2007, 02:18 PM

70 posts, read 295,627 times

Advertisements

I'm just curious.. if I were to live in Boston, without a car, then how would I get groceries and things like that?

A cab? Does it become expensive? Do peope go around on the train with their groceries? Do the grocers deliver?
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2007, 02:30 PM

2 posts, read 11,134 times
I lived in the city for 5 years and took a cab for groceries. It was only about $10 so I would be sure to stock up. But, I know quite a few of my friends had them delivered. They told me it's totally worth it. Good luck! Boston is a great city!

Old 10-07-2007, 02:34 PM

639 posts, read 3,528,368 times
I lived in Boston for a good 10 years before I got a car. It can be done. They used to have this supermarket called Flanagan's Supermarket in Southie, back in the 80's, well, now it's the Stop & Shop that took it's place instead. If I had a lot of groceries to get, I'd hop in a taxi and I was only about 4 streets away. You just had to tip the guy a few more dollars good that's all. The cab drivers used to be waiting outside for people like me loaded down with bundles. Some times, I'd just walk though and a few times I had a good 3 bags stuffed with groceries. The new canvas bags with the handles the stores are selling now? Are a God send, they are fantastic. Do you know what those are or does your supermarket carry them where you live now? They're starting to get them quite a bit, even Home Depot has these type of bags. They're SO convenient, especially if you have to walk a ways to get to your condo, apartment or your house.

Good luck!

Old 10-07-2007, 04:54 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,347,968 times
I only took a cab when I had to stock up and/or buy heavy things. Whenever I moved to a new location, I would use Peapod to stock up on the heavy stuff and have them delivered (like bags of flour/sugar, milk, etc). the first delivery is usually discounted in you have a coupon, which are easy to find.

Most of the time however, I just took the T. usually a bus, but sometimes a train. I got one of those shopping carts ("granny carts" some people call them, though I see tons of young people with them) and just bring it onto the bus (thank god for those low floor buses! made life so much easier!). around Beacon Hill, there's a store that sells these fancy rolling bags (name escapes me at the moment, but I know they're popular in the UK and cost about $100+). they look nicer than the carts and are made w/ a waterproof material. then of course, you can use backpacks, duffel bags, etc

the most important thing is that you must go shopping more often. I usually did one huge trip once every other month or so for non perishables (either used Peapod or a cab). then, I'd go shopping once or twice a week for produce and other perishables. I got fresher, better produce this way and lighter loads to take home with me after work.

Old 10-07-2007, 05:20 PM

2,428 posts, read 5,547,871 times
I walked to and from the grocery store...no problem...just have to think about how much you are buying... my neighbor hooked up a kids bike trailer to his bike to bring groceries home and there is always delivery.

Old 10-08-2007, 10:01 AM

137 posts, read 1,005,014 times
Stop and Shop delivers or you can just lug them home.

Old 10-08-2007, 11:07 AM

646 posts, read 1,788,031 times
Another recommendation would be using zipcar - it's a car sharing system and it's pretty good from what I've heard. Other than that, I would just carry my groceries of use a delivery option like Peapod from Stop 'n Shop.

Old 10-08-2007, 11:12 AM

5,758 posts, read 11,637,967 times
I would usually call up my friend who had a car, and ask him when he wasn't going to be using his car. Then I'd go get groceries and do whatever else, top off the tank, and give the car a good cleaning and waxing as thanks. We were both satisfied with this arrangement.

Old 10-08-2007, 08:31 PM

110 posts, read 440,174 times
A sturdy "granny cart" is the way to go. I used it for laundry, shopping, bottle return and Salvation Army drop-offs. Until we bought a car this was the best $30 we ever spent. There is also Zipcar if you are a fan of the Costco and Trader Joes runs. They are all over the city. Membership isn't dirt cheap, but it was worth it for us. Price includes insurance, gas and parking perks at places like Ikea.

Old 10-09-2007, 07:33 PM

286 posts, read 1,118,794 times
I don't live in Boston (yet), but I don't drive, and I walk to the grocery store. I don't think that you'd need a cab or a delivery service unless you have a disability that prevents you from carrying weight. The only time it really gets miserable is when a bag falls apart, so invest in some sturdy canvas bags.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
View detailed profiles of: