Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2013, 09:24 AM

40 posts, read 109,419 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
I moved to Boston from Ireland a little while back for my job. While I know Boston is very "Irish", I'm finding it hard to find many people who've moved over like myself. I wouldn't mind meeting a few people in a similar position as myself.

I'm in the "Young Professionals" category, late-20's, work downtown, live near Cambridge, just wondering if there are many other people around who get together, hang out for a game or beers or something?
The only group I've found is the INBoston network but they only seem to meet once every few months and doesn't seem to have many folks in their 20's so the opportunities are limited.

Have searched on Meetup and several forums but didn't find much, so I'll give this a try

Happy New Year everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2013, 05:54 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,852,730 times
There is a Boston Irish Business Association. bibaboston.com

There are some social groups. Sons of Erin on cape cod: sonsoferincc.com

The Irish Echo may have more information: Irish Echo

Where are you from in Ireland? My father was from Galway and my mother Roscommon...

Old 01-18-2013, 08:18 AM

123 posts, read 245,990 times
Right, I was going to mention BIBA.

Old 01-18-2013, 11:31 AM

40 posts, read 109,419 times
Thanks folks,
I'll check out BIBA. I haven't heard of them before now.

I'm from Cork myself. I'm not tied to only meeting Irish but figured it would be a good place to start.

Thanks.

Old 01-18-2013, 04:25 PM

289 posts, read 568,009 times
There's an Irish Social Club in West Roxbury but I don't get the feeling it's young professionals. Could be wrong...they just went through a major revitalization after almost closing. Think it's an older group.
"Comprised of 800-members, Irish Social Club features live traditional Irish music, a full bar and one of the biggest dance floors in Boston. The aging club is well past its heyday when it was many thousands strong, but the party of the brogue lives on. Available rent-free for benevolent uses on Friday evenings, the club features regular local acts and the occasional performance straight from the olde sod. Admission is $10."

Then there's the much larger and and not comparable Irish Cultural Centre in Canton. Irish Cultural Centre of New England Not very close to you, but might be a help...seems to fit in with what you're looking for.

"We are the only umbrella Organization for those who wish to recognize and promote the importance of Irish History and Culture through programs that utilize the:

1. Availability of our outstanding campus; Open and Accessible to all, to focus on.
2. Music / Dance / Arts / Literature of the Irish people
3. Sports as an important part of the Irish Culture
4. Applying Irish History to Modern Day Realities
5. Language and Genealogy
6. An Umbrella organization, helping other organizations to prosper

Founded in 1989, the mission of the Irish Cultural Centre of New England (ICCNE) is to promote and organize Irish cultural, educational, sporting and social events. We aim to establish and sustain a facility where current and future generations of the New England community can participate in activities that promote Irish culture and heritage."

Good luck. My folks are from Galway.

Old 02-11-2013, 12:40 PM

82 posts, read 143,064 times
Check out the website Irish Abroad. It is a mainly a social networking site for Irish expats. Lots of Irish in Boston on there.

Old 02-16-2013, 01:57 PM

16 posts, read 27,935 times
welcome to Boston...it's one of the best cities in the world.

Not sure if you are into sports, but the Cork Gaa field many teams once the games start up in the spring. You'll be bound to run into some people you know out in Canton. It's a little tricky, but not impossible to get there if you don't have a car. Take the train to Canton and call a cab. You shouldn't have too many problems finding someone to give you a lift back in

Rugby-Irish Boston Wolfhounds. Same as above but with a more international/expat flavor. Even if you don't play, I'm sure you could find some drinking buddies

Check out the BABCNE-British version of the BIBA. They used to hold a monthly gathering at the Elephant and Castle down in the financial district. Doesn't matter if you're Irish. I once ran into the British Consul at a BIBA event-LOL

BABCNE hold all types of cool and interesting events and a lot of them are held at the consulate in Cambridge.

6 Nations coming up-find a good ex pat pub and your bound to meet a bunch of people.

MAybe even start doing some volunteering....you'll meet a ton of people that way too

While it can be a little imtimidating, if you're not the most outgoing person in the world, but just start putting yourself out there, don't be shy about introducing yourself and you will start meeting people in no time
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston