Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2023, 07:52 AM

16,305 posts, read 8,126,207 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplexsimon View Post
In the town I'm in kindergartners are with grades 1-5 on the bus and are picked up and dropped off at the bus stop, but an adult needs to be at the stop with them.
That's how it was for us. it seems absurd to pick up every kindergartner at their house. I would imagine this has attributed to terrible traffic if many towns are doing this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2023, 12:41 PM

1,334 posts, read 2,992,392 times
Question Best of Boston Food Thread - Summer of 2023

Sorry wrong thread.

Last edited by Stone28; 08-11-2023 at 12:53 PM.. Reason: Edit - I hit post reply instead of start new thread.

Old 03-22-2024, 10:48 PM

23,568 posts, read 18,661,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carejourney View Post
the weather is terrible

Over the past year, yes the weather has been terrible. But on a typical year, I don't see what it so awful or exceptional about our weather. I can think of many places that are worse.

Old 03-24-2024, 09:32 AM

356 posts, read 284,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodyyouknow View Post
I'd really like to know how out of towners survive here

i think they have a better attitude.

Old 03-24-2024, 05:17 PM

5,091 posts, read 2,654,205 times
OP created this thread 11 years ago and I don't think they ever came back, and here it is still going.

Old 04-01-2024, 08:21 AM

836 posts, read 505,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodyyouknow View Post
So I came here from Los Angeles kicking & screaming due to my spouse's job. Obviously the weather isn't going to sit well with me. My experience has been long and brutal winters, a non-existent spring (mostly rain), humid summers that warrant 2 showers a day with the beauty of the tropics. Fall is so-so but living for fall seems sad.

We actually live in Newton which is 80% white and have had more than enough racist encounters.

While the food scene is growing it's at least 10 years behind the times and the segregation saddens me i.e. no Little Tokyo (downtoan la), Little Saigon Westminster), koreatown, armenian village etc. I have eaten a lot, and I do mean a lot and my decent meals have been few. In two years I've eaten at two-3 places that I would take out of towners to....providing I could find parking.

My experience with Somerville & Cambridge is why don't they just gate the whole town with two entrances/exits where residents show their pass to enter. It doesn't inspire me to check out my new unfortunate home. For the record Somerville is 7.5 miles from my home in newton and to take the MBTA i would have to take 3 busses and 1 train. It would take approximately 75 minutes and cost 11.25. That just seems whacked to me.

Move into town? Well when we first got here my spouses's job put us up in a apt. in Brookline. Another unfriendly parking city especially when out of town guests come to visit.

I don't feel any buzz or excitement and the independent commercial stores are just rundown, terrible looking and full of crap as is the majority of art I have seen which surprises me given all the youth. Having been to Portland Maine recently it seems to me the youth moves up there where it is more affordable? This would go for Portsmouth as well.

Boston is notorious for navigating and I get lost too often (as does spouse) even with a GPS!

On a slightly positive note, when the trees "pop" in the "spring" it is nice and I do appreciate all the parks, walden pond, the audobon parks. the lack of a horizon/mountains makes me crazy and attributes to my lack of a sense of a direction.

I'd like to understand the physics of road deterioration. h20 expands in the cold, got it, I figuredthe water would mostly be out of the cement? Does the snow and salt really do that much damage? really, the roads here are horrible. That allston/brighton strip leading into boston! Jeez.

I could go on and on and on and on.

I'd really like to know how out of towners survive here/
Funny. A good friend of mine moved out to LA for about a year. He came back with nothing nice to say about LA. He called it a miserable place with great weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston