Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2013, 11:39 AM

2 posts, read 4,491 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone!

For a few weeks I've spent hours researching different areas south of Boston, trying to pinpoint a great neighborhood for me and my Portuguese Waterdog (on the smaller side of the breed, about 45lbs). I'm a single mid-age female, no kinds, don't need bars or much entertainment near by except good shopping, restaurants, movies, etc. Having a neighborhood core with shops to walk to would be great, but not necessary.

I'll be working at the north end of Morrissey Blvd at the Sovereign Bank facility there. There's plenty of free parking at the site, so I would drive to work. Would love to avoid public transportation, if I had my choice.

I really want to live within a 10-15 minute commute by car... very close to work. I do not want to deal with a long commute.

Would like some greenspace or park within walking distance so I can take my pooch for some ball throwing. Would also like to have a doggie daycare nearby so I can drop him off a few days a week while on my way to work.

I've been staring at maps and craigslist postings and pretty much figured out that South Boston, parts of Dorchester, Milton and even Quincy would be good places to live.

Craigslist drives me nuts because of the incessant reposting of the same apts, over and over again. I'll probably have to contact a broker, but of course would like to avoid that expense.

I keep reading that Dot is a patchwork quilt of good and bad, and since I'll be driving to work, what neighborhoods would be good? I loved Savin Hill when I visited recently but I don't really see places for rent online in that area. I also really liked Milton and East Milton.

I'd like to keep it below $1500 a month, so that probably rules out 2 bedrooms. But I would take a place that needs work and fix it up cosmetically, with the landlord's approval.

What's the drive like from Quincy to my work?
Any suggestions for me?
I really appreciate any and all responses. I'll be staying with my brother when I first arrive, but he lives way north in Middleton and no way would I live there.

Thanks so much!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2013, 04:50 PM

974 posts, read 1,899,603 times
There's a couple of threads already detailing best dog areas/ dog-focused areas in Boston... Search through them for ideas.

No daycare heading from Quincy into the city. There are some walkers in Boston who take them to off-leash parks for the afternoon--lots of fun.

You're commuting in from Quincy to Morrisey Blvd at the same time as everyone else-- so, a 5 mile drive could be 30-60 minute commute at rush hour.

Rule of thumb -- more 'burb-ish, less dog culture/centric.

Lots of great parks around. Rover cannot swim in Wollaston Beach/ Quincy without losing his hair. Castle Island is great for in-city water sports. There are official and unofficial dog parks through out Boston.

I'm a fan of the South End for folks with dogs -- great way to meet humans and dog friends if you're new to the area. Also, some great walkers and sitters!

Rents are high in Boston - $1500 could get you a 2 br in Dorchester but there isn't a strong dog culture there. $1500 is a studio or 1 br small in the South End. Milton is cute - but boonies. Savin Hill between UMass and 93 is cute and close to work AND beach for the waterbeast. You could bike to work. Savin Hill on the other side of 93, you're further away from the beach and there are no dog parks to walk to. Would not recommend. Just not fun.

South Boston by Carson beach is nice - dog park, but no dogs allowed on the beach during summer months.... Grrrrrr. You have to sneak in during off times and hope you're not ticketed. Rest of the year - lots of fun. Parking is miserable!!!!
Boston Fights Winter Parking Tradition (washingtonpost.com)
Caught in Southie | South Boston's Neighborhood Magazine

Don't know if you've thought 'bout your commute from Middleton-- that's going to be a killer if you're on a regular shift. You'll be listening to let's of audiobooks.....

Old 01-24-2013, 08:27 PM

3,755 posts, read 4,802,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mckenzy View Post
Hi Everyone!

For a few weeks I've spent hours researching different areas south of Boston, trying to pinpoint a great neighborhood for me and my Portuguese Waterdog (on the smaller side of the breed, about 45lbs). I'm a single mid-age female, no kinds, don't need bars or much entertainment near by except good shopping, restaurants, movies, etc. Having a neighborhood core with shops to walk to would be great, but not necessary.

I'll be working at the north end of Morrissey Blvd at the Sovereign Bank facility there. There's plenty of free parking at the site, so I would drive to work. Would love to avoid public transportation, if I had my choice.

I really want to live within a 10-15 minute commute by car... very close to work. I do not want to deal with a long commute.

Would like some greenspace or park within walking distance so I can take my pooch for some ball throwing. Would also like to have a doggie daycare nearby so I can drop him off a few days a week while on my way to work.

I've been staring at maps and craigslist postings and pretty much figured out that South Boston, parts of Dorchester, Milton and even Quincy would be good places to live.

Craigslist drives me nuts because of the incessant reposting of the same apts, over and over again. I'll probably have to contact a broker, but of course would like to avoid that expense.

I keep reading that Dot is a patchwork quilt of good and bad, and since I'll be driving to work, what neighborhoods would be good? I loved Savin Hill when I visited recently but I don't really see places for rent online in that area. I also really liked Milton and East Milton.

I'd like to keep it below $1500 a month, so that probably rules out 2 bedrooms. But I would take a place that needs work and fix it up cosmetically, with the landlord's approval.

What's the drive like from Quincy to my work?
Any suggestions for me?
I really appreciate any and all responses. I'll be staying with my brother when I first arrive, but he lives way north in Middleton and no way would I live there.

Thanks so much!!
Depending where in Quincy you are, the drive to Sovereign would be under 20 minutes with traffic. That area can get pretty backed up in the morning thanks to UMass Boston, Boston College High School and the Boston Globe being right next to it.

Quincy will also allow you to have plenty of options to find an apartment within your budget. I know people who live in nice 2 beds for less than $1500. North Quincy and Wollaston are both very close to the beach, Wollaston Beach that it is. There's a lot of nice walking areas there right along the water that can be enjoyed 7-8 months out of the year, assuming you don't like to be outside a lot when the temps drop below 45. North Quincy has a large Asian population and that's reflected in the food and store offerings.

Milton and East Milton will have less of a city feel than Boston and Quincy. Quincy has over 90,000 people to note. But Milton is nice and East Milton Square a nice little area. I cannot speak on the rents in Milton since I have never lived there and do not know anyone who has. Milton of course would add a few minutes to your commute as opposed to Quincy, but not by much.

Dorchester gets a bad rap by a lot of people that simply base their opinions off of stereotypes and generalizations. Sure there are some questionable areas, but there are also some nice areas too.

Old 01-28-2013, 12:09 AM

2,947 posts, read 5,193,788 times
The Lower Mills area of Dot might be an option, as well as adjacent Milton Village. I like how that old-style trolley stops in that area of Milton, on the way to the Ashmont red line. The Baker Chocolate Factory residences are in that pocket, in Dot. Not sure if most are condos now or if some rentals remain. I think the latter, as those monthly apt. guides usually have a half page ad devoted to that complex. There's even some bakeries, ice cream and restaurants in that part of Milton around the corner from the little village stores in Lower Mills. The area even has a Boston branch library and Carney Hospital.

All this is near the boat launch for the Neponset River, also next to new and fancy apts. Plus, the Blue Hills are not far by car.

Plane noise plagues this area, which I detest, but which many don't seem to mind.

Old 02-15-2013, 09:58 PM

2,440 posts, read 4,839,810 times
Dorchester is pretty good along the water, from Columbia Road down through Savin Hill and all the way around Neponset to Lower Mills and beyond. A mile or so inland and it gets tougher.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston