Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2019, 07:36 AM

3,207 posts, read 2,116,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
still attacked frequently by many young black people from Boston,
Attacked for what reason?
The levitate festival in marshfield is always headlined by black artists. Heavy black artist influenced, and in one of the whitest demographics of Mass.

Last edited by GeePee; 04-23-2019 at 07:50 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2019, 08:22 AM

319 posts, read 504,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
I am 60 years old, as to my sample size, I've had close interactions with about a hundred of each over the decades that I have worked in the Metro Boston area.

The other day, I had to check in with the security desk for a job. The guard was a black woman with big fake fingernails. It was painful to watch her slowly and awkwardly type my name and details into the keyboard for my badge. Because she couldn't type with a normal curvature of her fingers, and instead had to type with her fingers straight out... well, my badge had several typos because of it. So any woman who has to have long fake fingernails in order to feel dressed to be in the outside world, is also hindering her keyboard skills... and most white collar jobs (with computers) and cashiering jobs just aren't suited for those with those fake nails. And in food service, they aren't suitable for working with food.

Did you actually know any of the "hundreds" well enough to have been invited to or spend time at their homes?
Do you know their families? Did you attend their baptism, birthday parties, 4th of July cookouts etc.?

Deep down you don't really know "hundreds."

Otherwise, it is just anecdote and means nothing. Being 60 doesn't mean much as there are many 90 year olds who literally go their
entire life not knowing anyone demographically different from themselves. While it is not a requirement in life, you don't really
know the people you claim to.

From your own story, that "black woman with fake fingernails" has a name. What is her name?
Does she have kids? Don't confuse superficial interaction in public with "close interaction."

So you are drawing a general conclusion about people without actually knowing any of them?

Last edited by newmassphd; 04-23-2019 at 08:30 AM..

Old 04-23-2019, 10:01 AM

17,681 posts, read 9,164,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmassphd View Post
From your own story, that "black woman with fake fingernails" has a name. What is her name?
Does she have kids? Don't confuse superficial interaction in public with "close interaction."

So you are drawing a general conclusion about people without actually knowing any of them?
From what I gathered, the purpose of the "black woman with fake fingernails" story was to point out that the fake fingernails were negatively affecting the woman's productivity.

Who cares what her name is or if she has kids. If it was simply a "woman with fake fingernails", instead of a "black woman with fake fingernails", I don't think you would be going off on this rant.

Old 04-23-2019, 10:27 AM

6,806 posts, read 6,031,870 times
Quote:
Which is symptomatic of the economic racism in Boston. That's not live nation's fault.
I’m not implying that this is the case, I’m just curious if you believe it contributes: is there a “brain-drain” effect in MA’s black community? That is, if a black person from the Boston area became successful, is it likely that they would quickly fly the coop to DC, Atlanta, New York, or somewhere else with a larger and more established black professional community?

Again, I’m not denying systematic racism in the Boston area. For example it’s a sin that the demographics of BLS (widely considered the best of BPS, I believe) don’t exactly or even closely match the demographics of BPS as a whole, and it’s clearly an indicator that Boston primary schools aren’t doing a good enough job of preparing their students. The avoidance of historically black neighborhoods by the MBTA is also pretty garbage.

However, if it’s common practice for middle/upper class black Bostonians to move away as soon as possible that would probably contribute to a lack of wealth in the community as a whole, yes?

Old 04-23-2019, 10:55 AM

319 posts, read 504,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
From what I gathered, the purpose of the "black woman with fake fingernails" story was to point out that the fake fingernails were negatively affecting the woman's productivity.

Who cares what her name is or if she has kids. If it was simply a "woman with fake fingernails", instead of a "black woman with fake fingernails", I don't think you would be going off on this rant.
Curious, I didn't read anywhere that he spoke with the woman's manager to inquire about her productivity.

The post to which I responded what the person stating that he (or she) knew "hundreds."

My "going off on this rant" is fact. He didn't know the woman but made a generalization.

Just like you are projecting what you erroneously believe I am thinking, that's a rant.

Thank you for pointing out the obvious. Yes, he was generalizing based on an casual interaction, yet he "knows hundreds?"
The post to which I responded brought race into it, not me. So save your fake outrage for something more
substantial, tiger.

Plenty of short-lengthed-figernailed people at the keyboard commit errors.

The entire premise is silly.

Last edited by newmassphd; 04-23-2019 at 11:06 AM..

Old 04-23-2019, 11:23 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,733,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post
I’m not implying that this is the case, I’m just curious if you believe it contributes: is there a “brain-drain” effect in MA’s black community? That is, if a black person from the Boston area became successful, is it likely that they would quickly fly the coop to DC, Atlanta, New York, or somewhere else with a larger and more established black professional community?

Again, I’m not denying systematic racism in the Boston area. For example it’s a sin that the demographics of BLS (widely considered the best of BPS, I believe) don’t exactly or even closely match the demographics of BPS as a whole, and it’s clearly an indicator that Boston primary schools aren’t doing a good enough job of preparing their students. The avoidance of historically black neighborhoods by the MBTA is also pretty garbage.

However, if it’s common practice for middle/upper class black Bostonians to move away as soon as possible that would probably contribute to a lack of wealth in the community as a whole, yes?
Most educated back people leave bosyon because the a k population here owns nothing and it's very difficult to conduct yourself in a world (upper middle class boston) where you are the 'only one' you can move moe covertly comfortably and with less pressure in NYC DC PHI LA SF HOU ATL CHA etc because pep e aren't wart of you and you're not the only black person doing big things. Also being from Boston most blacks people are forced Into a ghetooized mindset that's why most of our POC in Boston like WU Deval Presley and many more aren't raised in Boston. The neighborhoods are low oppurtunjty and stigmatized.

Most white people in Boston are around so few black people in a substantive way they have no idea what ack culture is like here and they assume because white Boston is doing well black boston is. Or they assume the ack population is so small it doesn't matter if blacks here are doing bad. It's not a knock on the city to them.

But yes it is well known amongst other black people that black people in boston da in two two categories

.1. Ultra ghetto in mindset/behavior I.e. Not worthy of attention/praise. Or just to ignorant to know there's greener pastures than Boston

Or

2. Boston apologists/uncle tons

Because of this and how white Boston comes off to visitors the black community lends very little help to blacks in Boston. In a community with limited resources, it's not worth the potential indignities you may face to save the uncle toms/hood rats.

To most Black Americans Boston is decidely not worth saving or fighting for. It wasn't always th is way it became this way in the 70s/70s. Intensifying in the 80s. Busing was a bad hit but black eople were very used to seeing worse. It was a series of other events that caused black populations in Boston to move away from integrated areas or heavily white areas ND create blacker neighborhoods. In the 80s the move out of Boston wave was huge as it was in the 90s. By the late 90s boston had a rep as a place for "bad" black people not the upwardly mobile. This is why despite everything that would indicate otherwise boston still has a good deal of crime.

Old 04-23-2019, 11:34 AM

I have the exact story about long nails and a white waitress the other day. She was actually successfully typing on the touch pad using her blue nails and not her fingertips, I almost wanted to ask her how...

But in mius world black people could pretty much be burning out in streets en masse and she'd find some way to say well o ly black people do XY or Z so they deserve it.

Old 04-23-2019, 11:35 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,943,649 times
Having gone to music shows in DC more than a few times in my life, and a couple in the past year along, it's really night and day from Boston to DC, culture wise. I went to one act, a white NYC soul band (for lack of a better term)), and the audience was 2/3rd black and decked out (I was a bit self conscious actually at my underdress). You just don't see that at similar Boston shows. Same thing with a Brazilian jazz outfit the next night... the difference was, striking. It made me a bit sad, actually.

I used to, in the 90s, go down to see some Go Go shows, but that was of course a different vibe and I expected it to be.

Old 04-23-2019, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Having gone to music shows in DC more than a few times in my life, and a couple in the past year along, it's really night and day from Boston to DC, culture wise. I went to one act, a white NYC soul band (for lack of a better term)), and the audience was 2/3rd black and decked out (I was a bit self conscious actually at my underdress). You just don't see that at similar Boston shows. Same thing with a Brazilian jazz outfit the next night... the difference was, striking. It made me a bit sad, actually.

I used to, in the 90s, go down to see some Go Go shows, but that was of course a different vibe and I expected it to be.
Black Boston doesn't patronize white shows or spaces often if at all . I can be in Boston and go to all black crowds and shows etc...easily and often But you have to be in with the community. In DC the Black people are culturally mainstreamed and wealthy and exposed enough to know a white band from NYC.

White friend in DC could tell me a about Gogo and Shy Glizzy and Yubg Gleesh and Fat Trel

White friend in NYC can tell me about the pardison Fontaine show, the Fabo show, afrobeat shows

White kids I grew up with in Boston may know F Cousin Stizz but they certainly don't know Jefe Replay Bj Ball, Kay's Oasis, Russel Auditorium, Trap etc.

The white population in Boston is general significantly more stodgy, less cosmopolitan and more old school than similar cities. That's a turnoff

Old 04-23-2019, 11:44 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,943,649 times
Quote:
Black Boston doesn't patronize white shows or spaces often if at all . I can be in Boston and go to all black crowds and shows etc...easily and often But you have to be in with the community. In DC the Black people are culturally mainstreamed and wealthy and exposed enough to know a white band from NYC.

Yeah, pretty much might point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston