Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 06:06 PM

1 posts, read 2,994 times

Advertisements

I'm a college student in Brookline and I've recently decided to move into an apartment with my boyfriend and his best friend. We found a place on heath street that is basically a short walk from the school.

I was wondering if it's a safe area for a girl in her early 20's to be around. I'll be taking a few late classes and will becoming home around 9-10 o'clock at night.

Is there any areas I should avoid and is Heath street a safe place to live?

Anything would help. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2013, 08:26 PM

8,545 posts, read 14,039,712 times
I always suggest to people concerned with crime to call the experts . . . the police! Give the local station a call and find out how often they get calls in the area.

Old 03-04-2013, 09:08 PM

2,257 posts, read 8,176,163 times
Looking at some of the crime stats available online, it looks like the crime rates change pretty dramatically depending on which end of Heath St. you're on. The western side near the Green Line/Brookline is located in some of the safest census tracks in the city, whereas the crime rates on the eastern side near the Orange Line/Roxbury are quite high in comparison. I'm not sure if most of this crime is largely confined to the public housing developments or if it also spills over onto Heath St. Hopefully someone with more personal experience in this area can weigh in.

Old 03-04-2013, 09:11 PM

11,066 posts, read 12,466,771 times
Another "I'm a precious woman, will I be safe?" question....

Just look at crime statistics.

Check this out: Jamaica Plain crime | Universal Hub

Exactly one of the crimes on that map was a woman victim.

Stop being afraid, women. Chances are, you'll be fine.

Old 03-04-2013, 10:00 PM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,188,037 times
I've always considered JP to be safe. However, you will still need to exercise commonsense and be aware of your surroundings. And be sensible in how you dress and walk around. Don't dress too sexy or act scared and vulnerable. Don't wear flashy jewelry or have an expensive looking handbag.

Old 03-05-2013, 08:06 AM

2,280 posts, read 4,518,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Another "I'm a precious woman, will I be safe?" question....

Just look at crime statistics.

Check this out: Jamaica Plain crime | Universal Hub

Exactly one of the crimes on that map was a woman victim.

Stop being afraid, women. Chances are, you'll be fine.
Not fair! I have, when a young woman, be attacked more than once in "borderline" safe neighborhoods and she has a darned good reason to ask! Fact is, women are statistically more likely to be attacked. OK? Get it?

Old 03-05-2013, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayleyhorrible View Post
I'm a college student in Brookline and I've recently decided to move into an apartment with my boyfriend and his best friend. We found a place on heath street that is basically a short walk from the school.

I was wondering if it's a safe area for a girl in her early 20's to be around. I'll be taking a few late classes and will becoming home around 9-10 o'clock at night.

Is there any areas I should avoid and is Heath street a safe place to live?

Anything would help. Thanks
Don't let anybody poo-poo your concerns. Speaking as a woman who, when your age and in my 30's, was attacked (no, not raped but physically attacked) in a similar area after dark. You are absolutely right to be cautious.

Old 03-05-2013, 08:33 AM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,188,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha Anne View Post
Don't let anybody poo-poo your concerns. Speaking as a woman who, when your age and in my 30's, was attacked (no, not raped but physically attacked) in a similar area after dark. You are absolutely right to be cautious.
I think that Heath St. in JP will be fine for her. However, just because others tell her that it is "safe", doesn't mean that she can consider it as safe as in Newton. She will still need to practice caution while walking alone at night.

I went to college in Providence in the late 70's and worked in South Providence at night. And back then, the neighbor was considered "rough", but I never had any problems walking alone. And it was in part because I dressed down in jeans (boycut and not this lowrider nonsense) and sneakers (so I could run), I didn't carry a handbag (so it couldn't be grabbed), I walked purposefully and quickly, and I had a serious expression on my face as I scanned the sidewalk ahead of me. I also lived in Central Square in my 20's without issue.

JP is not going to be as "safe" as your college campus. So you can't dress the same way while walking at night in JP. And whereas on campus you can be comfortable with male students walking up to you to ask questions or to be friends, on the city streets you should put up a mental shield and be wary and cautious of strangers approaching you.

And here's an anecdote for you... my first boyfriend was a drummer that I met while auditioning for a band. After we were a couple, he admitting that he had seen me once before... on the train platform at the Park Street stop. It was late at night, around 11pm. The platform was nearly empty. He was intrigued by me and moved closer. But without looking directly at him, I would casually move away from him. And finally the train arrived so we didn't meet that night. lol!!! Anyway, if I had to go back in time, I wouldn't change a thing. I prefer to meet new people in settings such as shared activities, work and also during daytime hours.

Old 03-05-2013, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
I think that Heath St. in JP will be fine for her. However, just because others tell her that it is "safe", doesn't mean that she can consider it as safe as in Newton. She will still need to practice caution while walking alone at night.

I went to college in Providence in the late 70's and worked in South Providence at night. And back then, the neighbor was considered "rough", but I never had any problems walking alone. And it was in part because I dressed down in jeans (boycut and not this lowrider nonsense) and sneakers (so I could run), I didn't carry a handbag (so it couldn't be grabbed), I walked purposefully and quickly, and I had a serious expression on my face as I scanned the sidewalk ahead of me. I also lived in Central Square in my 20's without issue.

JP is not going to be as "safe" as your college campus. So you can't dress the same way while walking at night in JP. And whereas on campus you can be comfortable with male students walking up to you to ask questions or to be friends, on the city streets you should put up a mental shield and be wary and cautious of strangers approaching you.

And here's an anecdote for you... my first boyfriend was a drummer that I met while auditioning for a band. After we were a couple, he admitting that he had seen me once before... on the train platform at the Park Street stop. It was late at night, around 11pm. The platform was nearly empty. He was intrigued by me and moved closer. But without looking directly at him, I would casually move away from him. And finally the train arrived so we didn't meet that night. lol!!! Anyway, if I had to go back in time, I wouldn't change a thing. I prefer to meet new people in settings such as shared activities, work and also during daytime hours.
Good post - all accurate and what a funny story, too about you and your "stranger" boyfriend. <gg>

Old 03-05-2013, 12:24 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,653,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha Anne View Post
Good post - all accurate and what a funny story, too about you and your "stranger" boyfriend. <gg>
I'll re-iterate Martha Anne and Miu. I'm adding don't be one of those women engaged in a cell phone conversation, walking down the street. Don't wear earbuds attached to a cell phone blasting music. You leave yourself vulnerable and unable to hear unfamiliar footsteps behind you (or for that matter an unexpected speeding car in the crosswalk).

Do, keep your cell phone charged and close in an easy to access pocket. If you haven't already done so, program an emergency call button into the phone.

Carry keys as you approach your street or car (also can double for self-defense if needed) so you aren't digging through a backpack or big handbag and can get in your car or doorway quickly, especially at night. I learned in self-defense many years ago to carry the keys so the keys show between your fingers.

A friend of mine was mugged at the Charles Street stop on venerable Beacon Hill many years back. So, yes it can happen and does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston