Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2014, 07:48 PM

1 posts, read 873 times

Advertisements

I am commuting from western ma as I took a job at MGH...any suggestions on where to park and walk...and approximately how much I can be looking at...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2014, 08:00 PM

974 posts, read 1,899,603 times
You're commuting daily from Western Mass on --

the Pike? Park at Riverside and take the Green to the Red.
Rt 2? Park at Alewife and take the Red to MGH/Charles.

Can't imagine THAT being a fun, daily commute...good luck!

Old 07-07-2014, 10:44 AM

5 posts, read 6,214 times
250 - monthly parking pass @ 235 Friend St. Google their # and call them!

Old 07-07-2014, 07:22 PM

503 posts, read 1,204,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fpraven88 View Post
I'm thinking my best bet now might be to live out in like Norwood or Franklin (within walking distance of a commuter rail).

MGH at least partially subsidizes commuter rail passes.

For $725/month (rent in Franklin or Norwood) as opposed to $1300/month (Quincy, Watertown, Belmont, Cambridge, Somerville, Medford) , I might be well-served doing it this way.
I'm retired now but in my working years a few times a month I would take the commuter train from Franklin to South Station in Boston. Then from South Station you will have to get on the T to get to MGH.
This is doable but time consuming.

You have to buy a commuter rail pass, a T pass, and you also have to pay to park at Franklin.

Old 07-07-2014, 10:03 PM

145 posts, read 283,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fpraven88 View Post
So I might possibly be taking a job at MGH, only problem is that it's a low-paying one (only around $38k per year) and I know that MGH is right downtown.

Clearly living within walking distance is out of the question (I would think).

Living far away and commuting in by driving doesn't seem like a great idea (doubt there's ample parking for an affordable rate).

Is there anything that would be within walking distance of public transport to MGH?

Or is living on that sort of salary anywhere near Boston simply not practical?

Also, I will point out that I STRONGLY prefer to live by myself without roommates. Just a personal preference, I've had some really bad experiences with the roommates I've been paired up with over the past year-and-a-half and right now I'm MUCH happier living by myself.
Most places on the red line should be okay and an easy commute. Try Quincy and Braintree.

Old 07-08-2014, 11:21 AM

3,176 posts, read 3,699,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David223
I'm retired now but in my working years a few times a month I would take the commuter train from Franklin to South Station in Boston. Then from South Station you will have to get on the T to get to MGH.
This is doable but time consuming.
it's a 10 minute T ride from South Station.

Quote:
You have to buy a commuter rail pass, a T pass, and you also have to pay to park at Franklin.
A commuter rail pass gets you on the bus and subway; There's no need to buy a separate T pass.

Old 07-08-2014, 12:34 PM

503 posts, read 1,204,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm84 View Post
it's a 10 minute T ride from South Station.

A commuter rail pass gets you on the bus and subway; There's no need to buy a separate T pass.
I stand corrected. When I took the commuter rail I didn't use the T because where I was going was close by and I walked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston