Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Boston a stressful city to live in?
Yes 25 55.56%
No 20 44.44%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 09:09 PM

503 posts, read 598,283 times

Advertisements

Of course not. It's like a giant country-club. You never get the sense that you are in a big city, since the streets aren't even packed on the weekends...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2013, 10:06 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,907,527 times
I HATE taking rush hour trains because they are literally packed like sardine cans.

I also live on the green line so you never know when you will be stuck underground, between stops, with barely any room to yourself for 40 minutes.

So I drive to my job in downtown Boston.

Parking STARTS at $350 a month and most of those lots aren't accepting new monthlies (daily spots fill up fast and even out to around $350 a month also).

Most lots available right now are $450+ a month.

I also have the luxury of making my own hours, so I never commute during rush hour. That is hell.

Old 03-26-2013, 04:25 AM

1,708 posts, read 2,911,481 times
When I lived in Boston without a car I found it to be quite stressful. Everything was a process and took forever. But once I got my car, which I parked right in front of my apartment for free. I was able to drive to get groceries, drive out of the city to the beach, go to Ikea, etc.

Old 03-26-2013, 05:15 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,167,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Here is a thematic map showing all the census tracts in Suffolk County. The yellow areas are less desirable to live in. The green areas are more desirable to live in. Right?
So... this post suggests to me that nep321 only wants to live in a one bedroom apartment for $1500 or less in a desirable Boston neighborhood. And it's just not going to happen. The reality check is that people who make a LOT more money that he is capable of making (at this point) are his competition for living in these green areas, and even yellow areas.

Otherwise, what hasn't been pointed out to the OP is that a small Boston apartment is much bigger than what passes for a small one in NYC. There are people living in closets in that city.

Old 03-26-2013, 08:15 AM

4 posts, read 5,922 times
nep321, I suggest you avoid jobs in the downtown and central areas and seek employment around the I-95 or I-495 corridors. It's often easier to live in a suburb like Arlington, Watertown, Waltham, Newton, etc., and commute out rather than in, so you're going against the traffic. These towns are accessible to the big city with all its the cultural offerings.

$1500 for a one bedroom? Maybe possible. When we were looking this past fall at 2 bedrooms in Newton, Belmont, and other "good school" districts, we didn't find anything under $1800 but maybe singles are cheaper. Rentals have been very tight this past year. Maybe consider a roommate situation instead, while you get a feel for the area and ultimately settle into your dream home. Best of luck!

Old 03-26-2013, 10:30 AM

546 posts, read 1,377,114 times
Stress is in the person, not the location

Old 03-26-2013, 11:30 AM

109 posts, read 329,846 times
There are 8 active rentals in MLS for less than $1,500 in Newton, Watertown and Arlington--all are 1-bed units. Craig's List might be worth a search, too.

Old 03-31-2013, 02:59 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,626,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Wanchuk View Post
When I lived in Boston without a car I found it to be quite stressful. Everything was a process and took forever. But once I got my car, which I parked right in front of my apartment for free. I was able to drive to get groceries, drive out of the city to the beach, go to Ikea, etc.
I think that sometimes that can be a good thing. For me, it's helped with my budgeting because I have to be careful of what I buy since I'm going to be carrying it home. I'm more mindful of my purchases and have really streamlined the process. I also find myself more organized because if I forget something at home or forget to buy something at the store it's a HUGE pain in the rear to backtrack.

Of course, I also have a few zipcars within a 3 minute walk of my front door so if I do need a car for anything (and in the 4 months I've lived here, I haven't used them once) I have that service available.

So, maybe it's perspective. What you see as stressful, I see as a way to make my life less cluttered and more organized.

Old 04-05-2013, 07:55 PM

1,949 posts, read 4,422,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Well then is it possible to have no more than a 25 min commute door to door, even if I use the T, and still live in a decent area for $1,500 a month for a nice modernized 1 br apt? Please tell me yes. I want a nice apartment in a nice area and a short commute.
Yes, depending on what your into neighborhood wise. When I lived in West Roxbury my wife worked downtown and took the commuter rail in it took her like 25min to south station. When we Lived in Hyde Park it took her like 15. If your not familiar with the neighborhoods Hyde Park and West Roxbury are still Boston, but not the city. If you want to live "in" the city, $1500 won't cut it.

Old 04-06-2013, 09:08 AM

1,768 posts, read 3,240,337 times
Boston is too small for its size. Too many people, cars, and too little space to move around, on top of that limited and expensive parking. Car is not your best friend in around here. It feels more cramped with every passing decade. If you can live and work in suburbs of Boston, you would get better combo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston