Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2013, 03:32 PM

2 posts, read 6,346 times

Advertisements

Hello! I plan on moving to Boston to attend Boston University Medical School. I do have a small dog and I'm looking for 1-2 bedroom that cost no more than $1700/mo. Also, here's another catch, I am moving in August, which it seems like most apartments open up in September.

1. Where would be the safest place near South End to live? I understand that some parts of Roxbury and Fort Hill would be on the unsafe side.

2. How would you recommend that I look for apartment? Most websites I've tried (Hotpads, Craigslist, and Jumpoffcampus) makes it difficult to search for pet-friendly apartments. Also, many agents won't even help me because I have a dog.

3. I'm also considering Allston/Brighton, although it is a little further away. What are your thoughts? I've heard about how many undergraduates live there and is very loud and parts of it can be unsafe.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2013, 04:01 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,432,741 times
In general:

Allston = decidedly more undergrads

Brighton = decidedly more professionals, decent amount of grad students too.

I live in Brighton (not a student) and it's pretty different from Allston. I like it a lot here- it's pretty quiet, in general. Sometimes, too quiet- I definitely leave Brighton most weekends to have fun, but whatever, that's ok. Everything you need is here. Right now, I'm spending under $700, but I'm sharing a 2 bedroom with a married couple, so that brings the cost down.My point is though, Brighton can be affordable (compared to other parts of Boston) and you don't have to live in slummy, undergrad dominated areas of Allston or dangerous areas to find that pricing.

Old 05-23-2013, 04:07 PM

2 posts, read 6,346 times
Thank you bjimmy24! Do you think my budget is too low for a nice place? I will be moving with another person and we were hoping to pay less than 850 per person.

Also any opinion on Fort Hill or know anyone that's lived there? I found few places there for cheap, but heard that any place south of South End is not ideal.

Old 05-23-2013, 05:50 PM

2,941 posts, read 5,182,436 times
I drive a taxi in Boston, do am somewhat familiar with Ft. Hill, but don't rush there at night for calls. Dropped a young gal calling from Brookline the other day in Ft. Hill. She really likes it there. Dropped her near the monument up there.

Personally, I find it a bit creepy still, esp. at night. Sure, some nice houses here and there, but I prefer someplace like Quincy. But I still think too far back when years ago it was somewhat unsafe. Also dropped a very respectable woman last year up there, who loves living there with hubby and toddler. They could easily be living in Newton, but chose this area. Some service personnel also may be found living here.

Quincy Crnter has modern one bedrooms for around $1700 at Munroe Place above Starbucks, as well as 10 Faxon, across from the main library and where a new YMCA is rising. Take the red line to Broadway, or even Andrew (?), then a quick bus to BU Med center area. The MBTA may offer a CT 1 or CT 2 connector bus from Andrew (?) to near the med campus, but not sure at all what and whom these buses are really for...

Southe is ideal, as you could walk from parts in less than 30 minutes, or less than $10 taxi ride. Plus, near city beaches and Castle Island for strolling.

Allston is not really dangerous, even at night, though several isolated incidents have made news over the years. Very vibrant restaurant scene of all styles. Dirty area with graffiti galore, but some love that look.

Parts of Cambridge areideal, as the #1 bus goes from Harvard Square to near the med campus, but you must love bus rides to endure these rides!

There's a Medical dorm-like townhouse at 761 Harrison, or near that, which houses some students still, I think. Not sure who qualifies. 45 East Newton Street nearby is modern but costly; I wouldn't be surprised if rich grad and med students live there.

35 Northampton, on the wrong side of Mass. Ave., was known as the a Nurses Building, but now I think it's market rate apartments...Older 60s-style complex.

Old 05-24-2013, 11:04 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,908,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
In general:

Allston = decidedly more undergrads

Brighton = decidedly more professionals, decent amount of grad students too.

I live in Brighton (not a student) and it's pretty different from Allston. I like it a lot here- it's pretty quiet, in general. Sometimes, too quiet- I definitely leave Brighton most weekends to have fun, but whatever, that's ok. Everything you need is here. Right now, I'm spending under $700, but I'm sharing a 2 bedroom with a married couple, so that brings the cost down.My point is though, Brighton can be affordable (compared to other parts of Boston) and you don't have to live in slummy, undergrad dominated areas of Allston or dangerous areas to find that pricing.
I'm guessing you live near Brighton Center or Oak Square, or at least somewhere west of Market St. Generally, east of Market St., especially around Cleveland Circle and in the vicinity of Mass. Ave., you'll find more undergrads. Just a heads up to the OP to be selective about local neighborhoods within Brighton.

Around Oak Sq. and Brighton Ctr. there seems to be a nice mix of grad students, young professionals, and some longtime residents. Not much in the way of big-time nightlife kind of entertainment, but more local eateries, neighborhood taverns, coffee shops, small stores. Seems like a pleasant area, with less expensive housing than you usually find farther in toward downtown Boston.

Old 05-26-2013, 10:20 AM

3,970 posts, read 5,762,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyh6kr View Post
Thank you bjimmy24! Do you think my budget is too low for a nice place? I will be moving with another person and we were hoping to pay less than 850 per person.

Also any opinion on Fort Hill or know anyone that's lived there? I found few places there for cheap, but heard that any place south of South End is not ideal.
Fort Hill is a quiet, little noticed part of Roxbury that is accessible by bus. It's definitely not dangerous but borders some less desirable parts (beware of the Bromley Heath Housing Projects behind Jackson Square Station). If you choose Fort Hill, you'd most likely access the Silver Line BRT from Dudley Square which is a quick ride up to the South End where the BU Medical School is. I'd probably be more concerned about wandering the BU Medical School campus late at night than living in Fort Hill. Parts of the Medical Campus are not well lit and there have been instances of muggings and robberies in that area in the past. My friend's sister was student there and had her bike stolen three times! Be alert if you leave work or school late.

Old 05-27-2013, 04:06 PM

974 posts, read 1,896,941 times
Speaking for the dog... you're better off in the South End: close commute so you can go from school to walks without a long commute, lots of quality dog walkers, even more dog owners to get to know and to watch out for your dog. Owners more likely to rent to a student in SE with a dog than to a student with a dog in Allston/Brighton. However, your price is an issue.

Five years ago, you would've had a hard time finding a 2BR for $1700. If you go with a 1BR, you're better off. Places in SE are small and really run down at that price point so a 2BR is usually 2 small rooms plus kitchen.

BUMC real estate services can also help you out. Have you looked into them?

Fort Hill by the monument is nice and the people are nice-- just a little weird. Sort of like LOST survivors up in their own world... You'll spend more money on taxis than if you had just rented in the SE. PLUS fewer dog walkers/owners to meet up with.

Allston/Brighton is a no go imho -- the commute to BMC campus is impossible, miserable and bone-suckingly bad--not that I have an opinion on it. The time commuting from A/B to BMC would be better spent either working for more $$ to rent a place in the SE or for studying. Check out the BUS - the BU shuttle. If you can find a place on the shuttle path, then maybe it would work for you. You would be going GREEN LINE/HYNES to Mass Ave/ #1 bus.

I lived in the REALLY NICE area of the South End and had my bike tire stolen. I also left my car and house keys in my car door overnight and outside my door and went back to have both there and I wasn't murdered in my sleep (although I probably should've been for being so stupid to leave my keys like that). Crime happens everywhere-some times we're incredibly lucky or not.

The area around BMC has lots of drug activity - the corner of Harrison and Mass Ave regularly has deals going on and lots of homeless/transient traffic. Many are patients at BMC or shelter residents. Again - it's city living so long as you're mindful you can minimize the opportunities for bad things to happen.

Old 05-27-2013, 04:10 PM

974 posts, read 1,896,941 times
2 Bd, 1.5 Bath, Pet Ok, Avail 08/01, Photos

Right by campus! If it's not a scam, it sounds good.

Old 05-31-2013, 07:33 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,688,068 times
why not contact that person here who also needs a place with 2 small kids and then rent a house with a yard
for the dog and 2 kids. She will be working at Longwood and has your budget also is having it hard.
so then pool the 2 incomes together and get a better place to live for the short time you will be here.
Her husband wont work so could help with your dog while in school.

Last edited by maggiekate; 05-31-2013 at 07:45 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston