Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 02:21 PM

974 posts, read 1,898,672 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwa2k14 View Post
Hard to meet new people out there unless you are in share some form of an on-going activity they are in, such as classes or work,etc...
Can anyone explain what other people do in other parts of the country with strangers that we do not do in Massachusetts?

Do they let some random stranger start talking to them in any ol' place, ask them back to their house, feed them dinner and just call it a great day?

Somehow, I don't think they do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2014, 02:36 PM

42 posts, read 57,459 times
When I lived in other areas of the country I was able to strike up conversations with random people and make friends that way. In Boston people do not want to talk to random people they are not familiar with. People are just not as open. The only way to start a friendship or relationship with people in Boston is to see them often first, then they start being nicer.

If you Google the words "Boston people" or "people in Boston" the word "rude" or "mean" usually comes up in the search results. So it is not just me that has had the unfriendly experience.

Old 06-10-2014, 03:28 PM

2,723 posts, read 6,112,557 times
Quote:
When I lived in other areas of the country I was able to strike up conversations with random people and make friends that way. In Boston people do not want to talk to random people they are not familiar with. People are just not as open. The only way to start a friendship or relationship with people in Boston is to see them often first, then they start being nicer.

If you Google the words "Boston people" or "people in Boston" the word "rude" or "mean" usually comes up in the search results. So it is not just me that has had the unfriendly experience.
Just because someone doesn't want to start a friendship doesn't make them rude.

Old 06-10-2014, 03:28 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,449,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flowbe202 View Post
Can anyone explain what other people do in other parts of the country with strangers that we do not do in Massachusetts?

Do they let some random stranger start talking to them in any ol' place, ask them back to their house, feed them dinner and just call it a great day?

The one thing that seems peculiar to me is that I have never met my neighbors in Boston. I've never met anyone in any of the buildings I've lived in. This has not happened anywhere else I've lived.

Old 06-10-2014, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
The one thing that seems peculiar to me is that I have never met my neighbors in Boston. I've never met anyone in any of the buildings I've lived in. This has not happened anywhere else I've lived.
Ok - I'll play....

Where do you live?

What kind of housing? 3decker? Hi-rise condo? 4story walk up? SFH?

Who are your neighbors? Students? Long-time residents? Vampires? Yuppies? Are you the same as they are or are you a fish out of water? (I.e. Goth, tattoo artist living in senior residences.)

The only time I have never NOT known my neighbors was when I was living near students- older, medical students, but still students. They had no time for me because I didn't play in their sandbox.

For example:

I find it inconceivable for a Bostonian to have a companion animal and not know their dog/cat neighbors.

I find it harder still to believe all those young Boston families and kids talking at the parks won't talk to anyone new who shows up to play day after day.

Get my drift?

Bostonians like to know their neighbors so they can gossip about them, tell them you're parking in their spot, that you got a ticket for parking on a street cleaning side, you didn't shovel the snow correctly. They'll tell you your car was towed because it was hit by that crazy lady who lives the next street over.

They may not spend hours talking to you, but they sure spend that time doing it behind your back!!

Because you and others never had these experiences I think all these people saying Bostonians are unfriendly are just saying it about each other...and neither one is really, truly a Bostonian.

Old 06-10-2014, 03:55 PM

Quote:

You are correct.

I, as a Bostonian, do not want to be friends with random unknown people (also known as STRANGERS according to the dictionary).

I only want to be friendly with people I see frequently OR regularly (also known as ACQUAINTANCES OR NEIGHBORS according to the dictionary).

Look up the Boston Strangler in your dictionary and see why maybe we're a little cautious about not inviting unknown people into our lives.

Old 06-10-2014, 03:56 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,991,972 times
Born and raised in Beantown!

After living in other cities, I miss my hometown at times. People from Boston are real and extremely honest. It's hard to get to know people, but I find that my friends from home are very loyal! I have yet to live in a city that has the concept of "buying rounds" at a bar down to a science. When I buy rounds for strangers in other cities, people look at me like I'm strange.

If you plan on riding the T (MBTA) please know it's rude to stare at people. Oh, and one last suggestion don't bother asking for help or directions....people are just too busy.

Old 06-10-2014, 04:06 PM

41,937 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Quote:

Actually this happened a fair amount to me in the upper midwest. Run into a person at bar, or at the farmers market, or out fishing and be invited over to watch the Packers or grill.

Old 06-10-2014, 04:12 PM

103 posts, read 301,420 times
Quote:

Funny enough, I made a friend that way! I was walking my dog, she stopped to say hi, and we struck up a conversation and had a ton of common interests! She had recently moved from Georgia to Boston. We ended up hanging at her apartment after work that day!

Old 06-10-2014, 04:20 PM

2,723 posts, read 6,112,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niandra View Post
Funny enough, I made a friend that way! I was walking my dog, she stopped to say hi, and we struck up a conversation and had a ton of common interests! She had recently moved from Georgia to Boston. We ended up hanging at her apartment after work that day!
Women never invite me over to their apartments. Maybe I need dog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston