Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2015, 06:56 PM

7 posts, read 7,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicshark View Post
I do not live in the city so I really can't give you advice on where to live. What I can give you advice on, being working class unlike most of the posters on Boston CD, is if you are in a trade, JOIN A UNION. At your age you will be setting yourself up for life. I know the plumber's union will send you to school, in Dorchester I am pretty sure, and help you get your license.
thank you mate that is good advice. my dad was a trade unionist so i reckon I should follow the family tradition!!

what is the process of joining a trade union in Boston? do you have to have training beforehand? I'm in the catholic workers association here and I've been doing building work since I finished my gcse's at 16 but I'm not in the big labour trades unions like factory workers or masons etc.

sorry for asking so much but it i am just very keen on getting to America and taking all of these oppurtunities and I didnt even think that trade unionism was a common thing in the us
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2015, 07:12 PM

238 posts, read 326,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean MacDougal View Post
thanks to all for the help. sorry to bother but I found a few places on various websites and I wanted to know an opinion on if these are good for me ?

in a place called the bay village its a single room with a shared kitchen and communal toilet on each level this $750 us per month

share flat in a place called Milton $675 us p/m

share flat in Dorchester at Washington st and blue hills avenue for $725 us p/m

share flat in place called east Boston (advert says close to airport) $700 us p/m

Are any of these good places? some are a bit more than I intended at get go but it seems Boston is quite expensive but I know america pays more than NI so hopefully should be best.

other questions -

is there much live music venues and such or places to play my guitar?

is there a job centre for builder work? when I lived in london 2 years ago there was a place where job seekers could go in every morning and sign on to get sent for labor all around the city. do they have such a thing in boston? If not where does one find building work?

is there any schools to learn trades such as carpentry or electricianry or masonry et al? i have the green permanent resident card from the green card lottery so it says I am allowed to study
Out of all those places I would focus on Milton, Bay Village or East Boston. I wouldn't advise Dorchester at that location. I mentioned areas in Dorchester in a previous post.

Bay Village lies on the outskirts of Boston's Theater District. It's upscale but I expect the room for rent is tiny. It does place you directly in town, without the need for a car.

Milton is suburban. It borders Dorchester to the south.

East Boston is close to Logan. There aren't any particularly "bad" areas that come to mind. It's working class but it's slightly remote but if you are near the blue line subway, you have eacy access to downtown Boston.

Old 02-09-2015, 08:18 PM

264 posts, read 388,841 times
I second the union way! My uncle is a carpenter and his plumber he works with is from Cork Ireland. He came here 15 years ago and entered the Plumber's union and hasn't looked back since. He gets tons of work and does very well. Just bought a beautiful house in Chestnut Hill.

Milton is great, just outside the city but has many amenities. It's got a lot of Irish people but also a diverse mix of races as well. Eastie is closer to the city centre, and right next to the airport as noted. Bay Village would be best bet if you're looking for pubs to hang out at and play your music. Good luck!

Old 02-10-2015, 09:31 AM

5,788 posts, read 5,102,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashpoint922 View Post
I second the union way! My uncle is a carpenter and his plumber he works with is from Cork Ireland. He came here 15 years ago and entered the Plumber's union and hasn't looked back since. He gets tons of work and does very well. Just bought a beautiful house in Chestnut Hill.

Milton is great, just outside the city but has many amenities. It's got a lot of Irish people but also a diverse mix of races as well. Eastie is closer to the city centre, and right next to the airport as noted. Bay Village would be best bet if you're looking for pubs to hang out at and play your music. Good luck!
I grew up in Milton. Believe me, if you are a young guy (or gal), you will die of boredom without a car to drive out, unless you enjoy hanging out at pretty catholic churches with old nuns and old folks smiling at you all day, or have little kids crawl all over you at cute playgrounds while their stay at home moms compare pie recipes with each other. Milton is way way too domesticated for a 22 yr guy, trust me.

Old 02-10-2015, 01:52 PM

75 posts, read 82,456 times
Another vote for Brighton here. My husband used to work in an Irish butcher shop that used to be there, so I know that there's a strong Irish community in the area. I'm from the UK myself so I often go to one of the Irish stores there to stock up on Cadbury's etc!

It's also close to Allston where you'll be able to find a large amount of apartment shares etc due to the large student population.

Old 02-10-2015, 02:10 PM

1,362 posts, read 873,319 times
I used to frequent Flann O'Briens by Brigham Circle, and they've had a number of fellas in similar situations work their way through there. Maybe try getting in touch with them? Link here.

Old 02-12-2015, 05:43 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,770,834 times
I'll put my two cents worth in for Brighton as well, but I'd suggest you go the room-mate/housemate route. Or, since you've already had experience in building, you could see if any of the multi-family homes need a live-in handy-man, and get a couple rooms in the back for cheap in exchange for minor repairs and coordination of visits from utilities, etc.

It's been a long time since I've lived there, but I kind of doubt it's changed all that much. The upsides that I remember:

There's an express bus at Oak Square that goes to Boston. Not cheap, but if you have a good job downtown, it's worth it.
Most of the Brighton apartments are either in walking distance to the Green Line, or to one of the non-express buses.

Lots of "life" but not crazy like it is in Allston or Allston-Brighton (the neighboring area which is mostly run-down and mostly crazed college students). Quite a few decent independent pubs, plenty of green space, much more affordable than the middle of Boston but relatively close to it. It's also close to Brookline, and to Newton-Wellesly.

So, while there isn't a lot of everything IN Brighton, it's close to everything right outside of it, and with easy access via bus or T (the MBTA: Massachusetts Bay Transit Authority, aka the subway/trolley system).

Old 03-05-2015, 12:21 PM

sorry to bring back this posting - but i wanted to see if this is a good area. i am in massachussets area i looked up a school friend and he lives in rhodes island so i am staying with him. i found a room to rent with a private wash room and gas/power fees included in boston and the cost is $150 per week, is this too much? it is a large private home owned by an elderly couple and an american girl and another guy from eastern europe rents the other bedrooms both around my age.

the location is in adams street at medway street next to the "butler" train stop. my friend took me to see it yesterday and it was a nice area but it was night time and very cold so the pavements were empty so i did not get a look at the folks who live there.

i found temporary work to get me started in a restaurant close to suffolk university.

is this a good choice for me to rent ?

Old 03-05-2015, 12:52 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,640,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean MacDougal View Post
sorry to bring back this posting - but i wanted to see if this is a good area. i am in massachussets area i looked up a school friend and he lives in rhodes island so i am staying with him. i found a room to rent with a private wash room and gas/power fees included in boston and the cost is $150 per week, is this too much? it is a large private home owned by an elderly couple and an american girl and another guy from eastern europe rents the other bedrooms both around my age.

the location is in adams street at medway street next to the "butler" train stop. my friend took me to see it yesterday and it was a nice area but it was night time and very cold so the pavements were empty so i did not get a look at the folks who live there.

i found temporary work to get me started in a restaurant close to suffolk university.

is this a good choice for me to rent ?

Not the south shore expert, but sounds good to me, especially the price.

Old 03-05-2015, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
Not the south shore expert, but sounds good to me, especially the price.
thanks friend. the lodging itself is very nice, much more than just adequate and i reckon i wouldn't have issues with my housemates or the house itself

the concern for me is flat is in the town of Dorchester in Boston, and although I have read (here) that there are many irish there, it also was alluded too that this town is "hit and miss" when it comes to streets and i would prefer that my immediate area is safe and secure, is this area safe?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston