Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2015, 07:03 AM

264 posts, read 388,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean MacDougal View Post
thanks friend. the lodging itself is very nice, much more than just adequate and i reckon i wouldn't have issues with my housemates or the house itself

the concern for me is flat is in the town of Dorchester in Boston, and although I have read (here) that there are many irish there, it also was alluded too that this town is "hit and miss" when it comes to streets and i would prefer that my immediate area is safe and secure, is this area safe?
That area is great! It's Lower Mills, and it's right up the street from Milton. I don't think that area is a problem with safety. Dorchester is a huge neighbourhood, almost a burough of sorts; it's similar to a place like Brooklyn in NYC because it's very diverse and extensive. Further up Dorchester Ave, it may be a different story, but even up there by Ashmont has been cleaned up quite a bit. There's some great restaurants up that way. I think you got a great deal with your current setup. Also, shameless plug here, but my friend Nate actually has a barber shop up the street from you called City Legends Barbershop, if you're looking for a great haircut mate! Good luck with your new job and place. Here's to spring coming soon!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2015, 12:18 PM

22 posts, read 19,365 times
Hi Sean,
As someone who's done the same. I'd recommend trying to get in touch with other young Irish folks who've moved over in the same position as yourself. You'll get a better idea of the area.

Usually when you ask a local "I'm Irish, where should I live???" they'll automatically go towards Southie area. It's the "traditional" Irish area of Boston, most people would be 2nd, 3rd, 4th generation Irish. It's VERY different from being in Ireland. It's going to be a very different experience than falling in with a few Irish kids who came over to go to one of the colleges or work here. I think you'd fit in a lot better north of the Charles, Cambridge is great with tons of Irish kids but Somerville is close and cheaper.
Allston/Brighton is an option for cheaper shared accommodation but it's a mixed bag what you'll find.

On the budget the city would be great but I think it's a stretch on the budget unfortunately. You'd be best staying near a T line until you're driving or know the area at least. Most likely you'd be heading into the city to socialize and stuff.

Old 03-23-2015, 04:44 AM

374 posts, read 654,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewisham View Post
Hi Sean,
As someone who's done the same. I'd recommend trying to get in touch with other young Irish folks who've moved over in the same position as yourself. You'll get a better idea of the area.

Usually when you ask a local "I'm Irish, where should I live???" they'll automatically go towards Southie area. It's the "traditional" Irish area of Boston, most people would be 2nd, 3rd, 4th generation Irish. It's VERY different from being in Ireland. It's going to be a very different experience than falling in with a few Irish kids who came over to go to one of the colleges or work here. I think you'd fit in a lot better north of the Charles, Cambridge is great with tons of Irish kids but Somerville is close and cheaper.
Allston/Brighton is an option for cheaper shared accommodation but it's a mixed bag what you'll find.

On the budget the city would be great but I think it's a stretch on the budget unfortunately. You'd be best staying near a T line until you're driving or know the area at least. Most likely you'd be heading into the city to socialize and stuff.
Dorchester is the traditional "Irish" sector. You will find more around the Erie Pub, Milton, etc. You are not looking.

Bill

Old 05-05-2015, 07:27 PM

22 posts, read 19,365 times
Well OP sounds like a young guy.

That area is definitely the "traditional" Irish area meaning a lot of 2nd/3rd generation Irish. Nothing wrong with that, what I'm saying is if he's looking for other Irish transplants around his own age, we aren't really in that area.

Despite the locals insiting it's Irish, it's more of an older generation Irish, meaning it's a big culture shock for a young Irish guy. The amount of times people say things like "tiocfaidh ar la", and drink "black and tans" when I've visited bars around Dorcester is pretty shocking. And if you're not away why both those things are so offensive, that's why it's probably not the best area for the OP to meet a few people from home to get started. Just saying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston