Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2015, 12:43 PM

9,887 posts, read 7,223,915 times

Advertisements

How far would her office be from the station on the north shore? It could be a miserable walk. But since it would be a reverse commute, she could take a bike on the train in better weather.

Parking at Riverside is $13 a night. Are you willing to spend almost $400 a month to park at the T station and shovel your car out when there is an overnight storm?

I know parking in the city will cost more but at least you can get to your car when you want it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2015, 12:50 PM

3,689 posts, read 7,435,107 times
Where is her potential "North Shore" job?

Why wouldn't you just live in a place like Wakefield, Burlington or Woburn and split the distance? That would require two cars, however, if you don't already own two cars.

Old 09-30-2015, 01:14 PM

12 posts, read 13,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gf2020 View Post
Where is her potential "North Shore" job?

Why wouldn't you just live in a place like Wakefield, Burlington or Woburn and split the distance? That would require two cars, however, if you don't already own two cars.
Her job is in downtown Salem, a very easy 5 min walk from the train station. But, if 128 isn't awful northbound AM/southbound PM, maybe we do consider Wakefield, Burlington or Woburn. It would require a 2nd car, but that payment is probably < two T passes + parking for our current car + the difference between rent out there and in the North/West End.

Old 09-30-2015, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
How far would her office be from the station on the north shore? It could be a miserable walk. But since it would be a reverse commute, she could take a bike on the train in better weather.

Parking at Riverside is $13 a night. Are you willing to spend almost $400 a month to park at the T station and shovel your car out when there is an overnight storm?

I know parking in the city will cost more but at least you can get to your car when you want it.
Salem, with a 5 min, pretty walk.

The riverside websites is confusing. It's only 7 for overnight (//www.city-data.com/forum/bosto...king-mbta.html). So $210/mo, which is unfortunate but at least it's a covered garage + cheaper than Boston parking. But yeah, the lack of easy access for weekends, etc. would be a pain. Probably would drive on Friday PM/Monday AM.

Old 09-30-2015, 01:23 PM

4,848 posts, read 11,818,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiingavocado View Post
Her job is in downtown Salem, a very easy 5 min walk from the train station. But, if 128 isn't awful northbound AM/southbound PM, maybe we do consider Wakefield, Burlington or Woburn. It would require a 2nd car, but that payment is probably < two T passes + parking for our current car + the difference between rent out there and in the North/West End.
We're not trying to talk you out of living in the city if that's what you really want to do. But if you don't have a strong preference, then living in the suburbs is the way to go financially, especially since you are just renting and don't have to worry about good schools. BTW, you can probably afford a new Porsche Boxster AND a BMW 428 w/the amount that you'll save by moving to the suburbs.

Old 09-30-2015, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
We're not trying to talk you out of living in the city if that's what you really want to do. But if you don't have a strong preference, then living in the suburbs is the way to go financially, especially since you are just renting and don't have to worry about good schools. BTW, you can probably afford a new Porsche Boxster AND a BMW 428 w/the amount that you'll save by moving to the suburbs.
Ha! That argument would play well with the Mrs, but doubt that would happen. And it'd probably end up being a 911 for her and a Ford Focus for me anyways!

I guess my main concern is about the 45 min driving commutes we'd both have then. I've never had to drive for 1.5 hours a day before, even in a nice car. This whole thought originates more from the "trains are less stressful for long commutes" viewpoint, but maybe I suck it up for a bit for the $ savings, and some days the traffic may not completely suck too. Thanks for your help.

Last edited by skiingavocado; 09-30-2015 at 01:52 PM..

Old 09-30-2015, 02:16 PM

3,689 posts, read 7,435,107 times
Quote:

...and some days the traffic may not completely suck too.

Well, the drive from a northwest suburb like Wakefield, Burlington or Woburn, to your job in Wellesley/Weston will be lousy both ways, pretty much every day, but your wife's commute to Salem won't be too bad.

Old 09-30-2015, 02:59 PM

9,887 posts, read 7,223,915 times
Quote:
Salem, with a 5 min, pretty walk.

The riverside websites is confusing. It's only 7 for overnight (//www.city-data.com/forum/bosto...king-mbta.html). So $210/mo, which is unfortunate but at least it's a covered garage + cheaper than Boston parking. But yeah, the lack of easy access for weekends, etc. would be a pain. Probably would drive on Friday PM/Monday AM.
The MBTA shows it as $13 for overnight.

Old 09-30-2015, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
The MBTA shows it as $13 for overnight.
My mistake. Woodland, not Riverside.

MBTA > Schedules & Maps > Subway > Woodland Station

Old 09-30-2015, 03:39 PM

1,362 posts, read 875,318 times
I don't know, I don't see it as that bad. Living near North Station gives you a nice location in the city, an easy commute for your wife, and I don't see driving or training to Newton as that big a deal. Perhaps there are other lots by Woodland in which you could rent an overnight spot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston