Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2016, 10:02 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,920,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
Don't be so sensitive. I said unintentional. They are a real bore when all they talk about is little Johnny or Buffy's play dates. Not a dig, just real life. That's why parents hang out with parents. And childless couples like us hang out with non-parents. Now is someone going to call me a "racist" against parents ?
I didn't call you a 'racist' or anything like that. Come on. I just asked why you included something that was a) mean and b) not relevant to the discussion. No need to claim some sort of made-up victimhood.

I'm pretty sure the OP didn't just climb out of a cave and knows that parents with young kids aren't usually interested in the same things as single men in their 40s (or even couples with grown children). Being responsible for young kids certainly means that your nightlife and weekend options are pretty curtailed, but you don't instantly lose interest in the things you found interesting before you just have less time for them.

If your 'friends' with kids only talk about their kids with you, I suspect there is something wrong your relationship. I don't talk baseball with people who hate baseball, and I only talk kids with a) people with other kids who can empathize/offer advice b) people expecting kids. Mostly it's other stuff which I suspect you would find equally (or perhaps even more) boring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2016, 10:41 AM

5,788 posts, read 5,102,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
I didn't call you a 'racist' or anything like that. Come on. I just asked why you included something that was a) mean and b) not relevant to the discussion. No need to claim some sort of made-up victimhood.

I'm pretty sure the OP didn't just climb out of a cave and knows that parents with young kids aren't usually interested in the same things as single men in their 40s (or even couples with grown children). Being responsible for young kids certainly means that your nightlife and weekend options are pretty curtailed, but you don't instantly lose interest in the things you found interesting before you just have less time for them.

If your 'friends' with kids only talk about their kids with you, I suspect there is something wrong your relationship. I don't talk baseball with people who hate baseball, and I only talk kids with a) people with other kids who can empathize/offer advice b) people expecting kids. Mostly it's other stuff which I suspect you would find equally (or perhaps even more) boring.
And I was telling you to stop being so sensitive. It was not intended to be mean. And you may have other interests than just your kids, but you can't speak for others, or what they choose to talk about with their non-parent friends. And I don't hate kids, for crying out loud. You are exactly like my friends with kids...the minute you point out their obsession with their kids, they think you hate their kids. Give me a break.

I am not calling you a racist either. I was playing off on the other thread about how one is considered racist when one wants to live in a certain areas. It was a joke. In any case, way off topic.

Old 05-17-2016, 11:19 AM

1,708 posts, read 2,910,067 times
New England is very focused on life place as it related to where you live. Lines are getting a little blurred with the urban pioneering families but IMO, you will see less single 40 year olds out and about and living in Boston than you would other cities in the country.

Old 05-17-2016, 11:28 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,943,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston_Burbs View Post
New England is very focused on life place as it related to where you live. Lines are getting a little blurred with the urban pioneering families but IMO, you will see less single 40 year olds out and about and living in Boston than you would other cities in the country.
What do you mean by this? I must not be following, because compared to other cities I've lived in there seems to be a lot more single 40 somethings out and about. There is a relatively high percentage of unmarried single adults here compared to a lot of regions.

Old 05-17-2016, 12:37 PM

6,457 posts, read 7,791,376 times
I think Waltham provides the best balance and compromises between commute to night life to affordable places to live.

Best of luck with whatever you decide

Old 05-17-2016, 04:06 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,640,383 times
OP, you haven't shared your interests so I don't know where or how you like to meet new people. Since you appear to like the towns with some history and art and you've deemed Salem too far a commute you might want to look at Concord. It's a very unique burb with lots of history, festivals, art galleries, live music venues, contra dancing, library bulletin board full of flyers with more events, golf courses, cross country skiing next door in Carlisle.

Lexington might be another possibility if you want to live closer to the city.

Both towns would be a good commute to Burlington through back roads and I find both to be very intergenerational.

Old 05-17-2016, 04:09 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,640,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave2112 View Post
Thanks gf2020.

I was under the impression that Burlington is mainly families and has no walkable/weekend center. I will dig in and research - would love for the stereotype to be wrong! Thanks for responding.

Dave.
I have a feeling Burlington is more new and car dependent than what you are looking for.

Old 05-17-2016, 04:33 PM

5 posts, read 6,951 times
Hi 495neighbor, and thanks for responding.

My interests are pretty much as follows - in no particular order:

Intelligent conversations
Independent, confident, professional single women
Music
Culture/art - modern/pop
Watching tennis
Trying to play tennis (I hear there's a great club in Waltham/Weston)
Cycling
Good dining
Wine, whiskey, tasty beer
Social occasions, nightlife
Trying to stay in shape while enjoying all of the above!

The only two other towns that my research says might fit are Newton and Brookline. More my age group I suppose, and a lot of singles apparently, so maybe some nightlife. I'm concerned that they are both too far a commute.

Thanks,
Dave.

Old 05-17-2016, 04:50 PM

41,937 posts, read 36,943,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave2112 View Post
Hi 495neighbor, and thanks for responding.

My interests are pretty much as follows - in no particular order:

Intelligent conversations
Independent, confident, professional single women
Music
Culture/art - modern/pop
Watching tennis
Trying to play tennis (I hear there's a great club in Waltham/Weston)
Cycling
Good dining
Wine, whiskey, tasty beer
Social occasions, nightlife
Trying to stay in shape while enjoying all of the above!

The only two other towns that my research says might fit are Newton and Brookline. More my age group I suppose, and a lot of singles apparently, so maybe some nightlife. I'm concerned that they are both too far a commute.

Thanks,
Dave.

You don't want to be in Concord or Lexington then, I know a couple of single people there, it's freaking dead and women/men from Cambridge etc aren't driving out there to date.

Old 05-17-2016, 05:57 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,920,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
And I was telling you to stop being so sensitive. It was not intended to be mean. And you may have other interests than just your kids, but you can't speak for others, or what they choose to talk about with their non-parent friends. And I don't hate kids, for crying out loud. You are exactly like my friends with kids...the minute you point out their obsession with their kids, they think you hate their kids. Give me a break.

I am not calling you a racist either. I was playing off on the other thread about how one is considered racist when one wants to live in a certain areas. It was a joke. In any case, way off topic.
It certainly came off as mean, but I'll take your word it wasn't intended as mean. I don't claim to speak for others, but made a blanket statement about "adults with kids" so I don't think I really have to.

But seriously, if your parent friends only talk to you about their kids there is something wrong with them. This is not normal behavior. I'm friends with lots of parents and some non-parents and while kids come up on occasion, it's mostly sports, science, and some politics. I certainly don't think people who aren't interested in my kids hate kids. Only think people who aren't interested in their own kids hate kids.

Ok. Enough disagreement. I totally agree that the OP might find Arlington a little too sleepy and family-oriented. I think Waltham might make a better choice but not that much better, at least not yet. If he were looking to buy I'd say it might be better in a few years, but Somerville is probably a better choice right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston