Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2016, 10:25 AM

2 posts, read 1,172 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I will be moving to Boston to attend grad school at Boston U. I am looking for a safe neighborhood with an easy commute and rent of no more that $1500/month. I would appreciate any suggestions on possible neighborhoods. I believe the Green Line of the T is closest to Boston U. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2016, 10:37 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
You might be able to find a small studio somewhere up in Allston/Brighton for that, but your best bet will be to look for a roommate situation for $900-1100 in the aforementioned communities.

Old 07-21-2016, 11:20 AM

4,249 posts, read 3,724,745 times
Get a roommate and live in Brookline.

Old 07-21-2016, 08:44 PM

2,947 posts, read 5,191,791 times
You could live in a part of Cambridge near the BU Bridge called Cambridgeport. Not cheap, though.

But like others mentioned, Allston and Brighton areas would be good but also not cheap. Brookline, Massachusetts is adjacent but very $$ unless you get a lucky situation with roommates.

Old 07-21-2016, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
You could live in a part of Cambridge near the BU Bridge called Cambridgeport. Not cheap, though.

But like others mentioned, Allston and Brighton areas would be good but also not cheap. Brookline, Massachusetts is adjacent but very $$ unless you get a lucky situation with roommates.
OP should be able to find a 2 BR for $3K in Brookline. There are plenty of BU grad students who live there. It's where I lived when I was in law school at B.U., and I knew plenty of people who did, also. Prices were much less then, but OP should be able to find something in that budget.

Old 07-22-2016, 02:22 AM

2,947 posts, read 5,191,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
OP should be able to find a 2 BR for $3K in Brookline. There are plenty of BU grad students who live there. It's where I lived when I was in law school at B.U., and I knew plenty of people who did, also. Prices were much less then, but OP should be able to find something in that budget.
Seems the OP may want their own place for $1,500 near campus, and maybe not $1,500 each in a nice Brookline 2BR. But they'll need to realize that's not happenin'.

Do the landlords in Brookline nowadays expect to rent primarily to yuppies and not grad students, or grad students are welcome as long as not possibly immature undergrads?

Old 07-22-2016, 06:18 AM

6,460 posts, read 7,796,492 times
Agree w/everyone about Allston,Brighton, and Brookline - all with roomates. I'll throw in Kenmore as a possibility (w/roomates of course).

Congratulations, welcome, and best of luck.

Old 07-22-2016, 07:44 AM

We encountered quite a few landlords who were willing to rent to graduate students, but not to undergraduates. There weren't all that many undergraduates in Brookline but there were lots of grad students. I lived in two different apartments in Brookline - one was in a complex where each section had 6 condos. The second was on Boylston Street and was a three story/three unit building. I lived with 3 friends in a very large condo. There were 4 guys who lived above us who were Harvard Med students.

Kenmore always had too many undergraduates for my taste, although I'm not sure if there are fewer there, since BU has added more undergraduate housing since I was there. The Fenway area might be another area to explore.

OP could get lucky and find a studio in one of these areas in the specified budget. The post didn't indicate a concrete aversion to having roommates. Honestly, I think it's better to get one -- and I say this as someone who enjoys being alone and really does need alone time and in many instances would prefer to live alone. Especially when moving to a new area, it can be nice to have a roommate who is at least occasionally there. And if you have a 2 BR place, you can always go into your bedroom to be alone. And with a roommate you can live in a place and in an area that's nicer and bigger than you generally can on your own. OP can always move the next year if s/he finds someplace else to live or finds a friend or even significant other to live with.

(Unless OP is moving here with a significant other and combined they want $1500. I didn't read that as the case, but I can't rule it out based on the info given. If that's the case, my recommendations would change.)

Old 07-22-2016, 08:09 AM

11,060 posts, read 12,452,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwash View Post
Hello,

I will be moving to Boston to attend grad school at Boston U. I am looking for a safe neighborhood with an easy commute and rent of no more that $1500/month. I would appreciate any suggestions on possible neighborhoods. I believe the Green Line of the T is closest to Boston U. Thanks!
I'll throw out Oak Square in Brighton. Instead of the Green Line, you'd take the 57 to BU. Don't be fooled by the green line. Even though it's a train, it is functionally a bus. There is no quality difference between the 57 and the B line green line. The biggest difference is, if you live off the 57 route, you'll save money.

Old 07-22-2016, 09:15 AM

875 posts, read 663,995 times
Plenty of options in Brookline at 3K max for a 2bed - you should be able to find several for less.

Padmapper is a decent website to search

https://www.padmapper.com/search/apa...lse&dogs=false

Welcome and good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston