Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2021, 10:17 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,733,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
It's not just education. There is resentment towards any type of success.
No, at worst it's interpersonal jealousy/crabs in a bucket. Not resentment towards success itself. That is very much the opposite. Most people in the inner city believe heavily in the prosperity gospel and glorify material success.

And education isn't really devalued in inner-city Boston the way it is in most inner cities, people simply don't understand what it takes to be successful and what avenues to pursue in the 21st century. most inner-city folks really don't know that- most people in my family don't know anything about things like GMAT LSAT, etc etc. Let alone who to finance your education that far... Beyond basic FAFSA and associates/bachelors they don't know that stuff, I'm still learning and teaching myself. Add to that wealth and wealth management information is non-existent.

Old 09-07-2021, 10:23 AM

2,279 posts, read 1,340,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Not resentment towards success itself. That is very much the opposite.
Not a racial or Boston thing but there is very much a growing resentment toward success in the US.

I am not saying it's a bad thing, but years ago being ultra-rich would have not been seen with the negative connotation it is seen today.

Old 09-07-2021, 10:34 AM

2,364 posts, read 1,851,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampert View Post
Not a racial or Boston thing but there is very much a growing resentment toward success in the US.

I am not saying it's a bad thing, but years ago being ultra-rich would have not been seen with the negative connotation it is seen today.
I've heard this argument from my parents generation. I've heard in the 1980s BEING FILTHY RICH was like the ultimate dream of people in a way that it just isn't today. Materialism was more in style I guess part of the Reagan era America.

Perhaps the pendulum shifted too far from "The rich necessarily deserve to be rich" to "The rich necessarily got that way by stealing from others".

Not saying that definitely happened in the last 30-40 years but if it did that it wouldn't be the first time

Old 09-07-2021, 10:37 AM

16,317 posts, read 8,150,917 times
I'm sure there is some resentment in any family when one person becomes very successful and the others don't. Or even if someone marries someone who has money and the others don't.

Old 09-07-2021, 10:37 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,733,519 times
Quote:

oh I see-were making this political now...*sigh*

"you didn't build that" is not resentment towards success.

Old 09-07-2021, 10:54 AM

2,279 posts, read 1,340,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
oh I see-were making this political now...*sigh*

"you didn't build that" is not resentment towards success.
?? as I said is not necessarily a bad thing. I don't think a few decades ago someone like Bezos would have been mocked for going to space or would have been considered just someone that prey on low wage workers to amass obscene amounts of money. Or FB to be a company that makes money fooling you.

I mean if these guys that started from very little aren't peak success I don't know what it is. Bezos or Gates most definitely built their success but a lot of people (me included) don't necessarily see them as a model.

Old 09-07-2021, 10:58 AM

People have something against billionaires:

http://chng.it/YStr6dJrk7

I have seen what some people get for bonuses at companies on top of their salary and it seems ridiculous. Getting a 5 million dollar bonus per year on top of a 400k salary is insane to me. I dont think it's the 'norm' but it definitely happens here in MA.

Old 09-07-2021, 01:37 PM

24,557 posts, read 18,239,810 times
Quote:

I don’t think it’s a new thing at all. My town has always been socioeconomically mixed. Two adjacent census tracts have very different economic demographics. One is white collar professional. The other is working class. I grew up in the 1960s being very aware of the resentment. The census tract beyond those has the gated summer communities with truly affluent people.

Metro Boston is massively socioeconomically segregated. With local control over the public schools, that’s never going to change. My take on it is that it’s classist, not racist. If you’re in a blue chip suburb or a fancy neighborhood, you don’t care that the college prof, physician, or corporate executive next door is Korean or Iranian or West African. You care that they share your educational and work ethic.

Old 09-07-2021, 01:40 PM

Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I don’t think it’s a new thing at all. My town has always been socioeconomically mixed. Two adjacent census tracts have very different economic demographics. One is white collar professional. The other is working class. I grew up in the 1960s being very aware of the resentment. The census tract beyond those has the gated summer communities with truly affluent people.

Metro Boston is massively socioeconomically segregated. With local control over the public schools, that’s never going to change. My take on it is that it’s classist, not racist. If you’re in a blue chip suburb or a fancy neighborhood, you don’t care that the college prof, physician, or corporate executive next door is Korean or Iranian or West African. You care that they share your educational and work ethic.
But that is kind of a problem. Why does it matter if your next door neighbor is a union electrician vs a lawyer or dentist? As long as you are all paying your bills and raising good kids who cares? Apparently you do.

Old 09-07-2021, 01:42 PM

24,557 posts, read 18,239,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I have seen what some people get for bonuses at companies on top of their salary and it seems ridiculous. Getting a 5 million dollar bonus per year on top of a 400k salary is insane to me. I dont think it's the 'norm' but it definitely happens here in MA.
If you stop and think how quickly a bad leadership team can run a business into the ground and how much shareholder value a strong leadership team can create in a few years, it’s cheap money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston