Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2008, 02:12 PM

48 posts, read 178,849 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

My girlfriend of five years and I are expecting our first child in September. We are both recent college grads (I will be finishing my Master's next month) and currently live in Mission Hill neighborhood in Boston. I am trying to figure out which community to relocate to in the fall-- we are not native to MA and I am only familiar with a handful of towns, certainly not comprehensive.

We definitely want to be as close to Boston as possible (I will be working in Downtown Crossing/Financial District, she works in Longwood Medical). We love city life but realize Boston proper may no longer be in our budget with the new addition. We will be looking for a nice 2-bed apartment (recent renovation/new) in the $15-1600/month range (less would be a bonus!), looking for the following things in our community...

-100% MUST be within walking distance of subway (not commuter rail)
-safe, clean community
-$15-1600/month for updated, clean 2-br
-walkable to shopping, cafes, etc

Basically, the main concerns are value for the money and location (I guess thats everybody's wish list huh?). Schools aren't important at this time, we are only planning on staying in Boston area for another year or so. We like Mission Hill so something comparable is ideal. We will likely get a car, but do not want to depend on it too much, so parking costs is a consideration. An area like Davis Square might be nice. I've only begun the research, but have thought briefly about the following areas:

Quincy
Somerville
Brookline
Medford
Malden
Jamaica Plain

-any info on those areas or others I haven't thought of which are walkable and T-accessible is much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2008, 03:09 PM

2,428 posts, read 5,549,815 times
Your list is good. You might add Cambridge there are parts where you might find something in your price range North Cambridge and E. Cambridge

Old 03-28-2008, 03:22 PM

2,954 posts, read 12,308,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikmasteed View Post

I've only begun the research, but have thought briefly about the following areas:

Quincy
Somerville
Brookline
Medford
Malden
Jamaica Plain

-any info on those areas or others I haven't thought of which are walkable and T-accessible is much appreciated!
also has some great spots and is most like Mission Hill. Somerville, Medford, Malden, and Quincy are fine (though some parts better than others), but all involve a lengthier trip to Longwood due to the necessary transfer to the Green line. Brookline, or at least parts of it along the D and area within walking distance, is convenient to Longwood, but probably too expensive.

You might look in Newton along the D line. It's a direct ride to Longwood station and a bit farther to downtown Boston. There are some nice places along the D in your range. Newton Centre is probably the best bet for shops, etc.

Old 03-28-2008, 04:47 PM

415 posts, read 1,666,943 times
Brookline fits the bill. Look around Cooledge Corner. I'm not sure how much a 2 bedroom would rent for these days, but i'm guessing it's around $1600. It seems like if safety is your biggest concern, Brookline is your best bet.

Old 03-29-2008, 12:31 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,352,152 times
just a few points I'd like to make here:

-the majority of Medford, Malden, and Somerville are NOT w/in walking distance of a subway. the only subway/T stop in Medford is the Wellington stop, and the only places to live w/in walking distance of there are the complexes like Station Landing . the rest of Medford is mainly serviced by bus and commuter rail. Malden also has only one T stop (Malden Center, though parts of Malden may be close to the Oak Grove stop), which doubles as a commuter rail stop also. the rest of Malden is serviced by bus. the stops that service Somerville include Sullivan Sq (orange line), Porter Sq (red line), and Davis Sq (red line). the area closest to Sullivan Sq. isn't that great (this is Winter Hill)

-$1500-$1600 is at the low end for a newly renovated 2 bedroom, ESPECIALLY for one that would have to be deleaded (by law, MA landlords can't rent leaded apartments to families w/ kids under 6). a quick search on Craigslist didn't turn up many suitable apartments w/in that budget in Brookline or Newton. most of the ads don't specify if the units are deleaded or not; it is important you ask (most listings will state if they are deleaded or not; don't assume they are (a lot of apts in Boston aren't), otherwise, this can cause a lot of headaches for you and your LL)

-for the most part (there are a few minor exceptions) AVOID being w/in walking distance of: Jackson Sq (orange line), Forest Hills (orange), and Fields Corner (red) (the areas surrounding these T stops aren't pretty.)

the fact that you need a deleaded apartment is by far the stickiest issue w/in your requirements, otherwise, it would be doable. I would just make a list of places that look good and then inquire about the lead status (I HIGHLY suggest looking up the current MA lead laws as pertaining to renters and landlords. I believe (don't quote me on this) that a LL can't legally refuse to rent to you just b/c he has a leaded apartment, but LOTS of LLs will find a way to get around this b/c deleading is time consuming and $$$)

Old 03-29-2008, 10:35 AM

7,359 posts, read 10,282,499 times
Davis Square is very accessible to the Powderhouse Square area of Medford--about a 10-minute walk, in fact. Teele Square in Somerville is about a 15-20 minute walk from Davis Square, as well. Both areas are very safe. And Davis Square is a fun area: full of shops, restaurants, and a very cool cinema. You can catch the Red Line in Davis Square, as well--about a 15-minute train ride to Downtown Crossing. Your girlfriend would have to switch trains at Park Street to the Green Line, to get to Longwood, but this is a pretty straightforward commute. I lived in the Powerhouse Square area for 7 years and loved it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston