Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2018, 12:11 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,436,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
I think you live on the Oak Square side? You see, that certainly wouldn't have been the case there 30 years ago. Kind of proves my point.
Yep- I'm starting my 5th year in this house 9/1. The people in the other units in my house have changed every year since I've lived here, same with my two immediate neighbors. I don't really bother to keep up anymore. Though there are a few elderly and families in my immediate area. But there's a pretty big divide socially between the families and "young professionals."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2018, 12:12 PM

23,539 posts, read 18,678,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
lol
I'm sure there were always a few BC students living out that way, but that was still full of old Brighton families back then.

Old 08-23-2018, 12:18 PM

41,937 posts, read 36,943,649 times
Quote:
I'm sure there were always a few BC students living out that way, but that was still full of old Brighton families back then.

Either way, that doesn't really support your point for the metro area as a whole. One area becoming more transient perhaps, but there are probably others that are less. Real data is needed because observations are tainted by our biases. I'm not saying your wrong, but we just don't have the data. I suspect, actually, you're right that as the educational level of the region has increased that people are more transient. It's smart. I've live in what, 7 states myself. Most people I know have lived in at least 3-4. My mother, only in Boston. But that doesn't show anything, my father lived in 5 (army kid and army adult).

Old 08-23-2018, 12:38 PM

6,806 posts, read 6,031,870 times
Quote:
Yes, but I think it was more true before than it is now. At least in Boston proper, I think it might have become so saturated now that there is really not much local culture left to even "blend in" to. It's like Disneyland. It's also a generational thing, the younger crowd is more apt to mimic the the extreme self-absorbed/heads buried in their iPhones airhead way of life than whatever local culture may still exist.
As someone who grew up in Boston, whose family has been in New England for at least 3 generations, and who is currently (well not right now) living in Boston as I finish college, I disagree with a lot of this.

Old 08-23-2018, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Either way, that doesn't really support your point for the metro area as a whole. One area becoming more transient perhaps, but there are probably others that are less. Real data is needed because observations are tainted by our biases. I'm not saying your wrong, but we just don't have the data. I suspect, actually, you're right that as the educational level of the region has increased that people are more transient. It's smart. I've live in what, 7 states myself. Most people I know have lived in at least 3-4. My mother, only in Boston. But that doesn't show anything, my father lived in 5 (army kid and army adult).
I'll leave it at this. From the experience of MYSELF as well as most others IN THE CITY OF BOSTON I have for reference WITHIN THAT TIMEFRAME, concur the same thing. This is an open forum and anybody is welcome to dispute that. It does make sense however, that a town like Belmont might have seen more of that for longer than...Hyde Park...for instance.

Old 08-23-2018, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post
As someone who grew up in Boston, whose family has been in New England for at least 3 generations, and who is currently (well not right now) living in Boston as I finish college, I disagree with a lot of this.
Then maybe my "age" is getting the best of me. Growing up in the 80s/90s. and comparing now and then; perhaps somebody 30 years ago might have been complaining about how the "Boston" of the 1950s and 1960s had disappeared and that it was now awash in the homogenous pop culture of the time "darn MTV generation!".

Old 08-23-2018, 12:52 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,921,164 times
Quote:
Yes, but I think it was more true before than it is now. At least in Boston proper, I think it might have become so saturated now that there is really not much local culture left to even "blend in" to. It's like Disneyland. It's also a generational thing, the younger crowd is more apt to mimic the the extreme self-absorbed/heads buried in their iPhones airhead way of life than whatever local culture may still exist.
Isn't that true of a lot of cities? And isn't local culture something that changes with time? Isn't getting upset at the new people being different a time-honored American tradition?

Having lived in a bunch of different places in the US, I can say, even in it's currently diluted form, Boston is culturally different than the rest of the country. Maybe not as much as it used to be, but it is quite different from places like Portland, Oregon even if both are on the left side of American politics.

Old 08-23-2018, 12:54 PM

41,937 posts, read 36,943,649 times
Quote:
Then maybe my "age" is getting the best of me. Growing up in the 80s/90s. and comparing now and then; perhaps somebody 30 years ago might have been complaining about how the "Boston" of the 1950s and 1960s had disappeared and that it was now awash in the homogenous pop culture of the time "darn MTV generation!".

Isn't that all off society?

I know music more than other aspects of pop culture, but in the 70s/80s there were DC sound, LA sound, SF, NY, Boston sounds... like little scenes where you could listen to a style, or an act within a style and been like that DC emo and not San Diego emo, or Chicago Am Rep noise rock vs New York noise, or Olympia/Seattle indie rock vs wherever... the SF psych scene was different from the Bosstone psych scene, but with MTV (to start) and the widespread sharing of culture (speeded by the internet), those little distinct pockets kind of faded. Same with regional cuisine differences, they've faded.

I guess I just don't see this as a Boston thing at all, but a lament on society in general, and what's the point of that?

Old 08-23-2018, 12:57 PM
miu

17,767 posts, read 40,161,054 times
Most of the virtue signaling I see is on social media. Most don't have the guts to do it in person.

Old 08-23-2018, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
Isn't that true of a lot of cities? And isn't local culture something that changes with time? Isn't getting upset at the new people being different a time-honored American tradition?.

Yes yes and yes. But relax, nobody here is getting upset.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
Having lived in a bunch of different places in the US, I can say, even in it's currently diluted form, Boston is culturally different than the rest of the country. Maybe not as much as it used to be, but it is quite different from places like Portland, Oregon even if both are on the left side of American politics.
Yay, back to the topic!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston