Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2018, 07:46 PM

7 posts, read 8,096 times

Advertisements

I'm digging all of the info! I don't necessarily view anything said so far as negativity, just blunt truth which is needed! Visiting in the winter is good idea. Midwesterns get all the seasons and storm season can get a little scary. What kind of storms would one experience in that area? Any ideas on a more affordable suburb? Also, is it an outrageous thought that I could find a home with roommates that allows me and my two dogs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2018, 07:53 PM

1,397 posts, read 865,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciara32 View Post
I'm digging all of the info! I don't necessarily view anything said so far as negativity, just blunt truth which is needed! Visiting in the winter is good idea. Midwesterns get all the seasons and storm season can get a little scary. What kind of storms would one experience in that area? Any ideas on a more affordable suburb? Also, is it an outrageous thought that I could find a home with roommates that allows me and my two dogs?
Not sure what your price range would be and I’m not the person to ask about dogs but might check out Allston, Brighton, south Boston, Somerville, Cambridge, Quincy..would also look a job market obviously

As for storms..occasionally a hurricane will get up the east coast in the fall..in the winter there are generally a couple of snowstorms that will keep everyone indoors

Old 09-23-2018, 08:00 PM

17,844 posts, read 9,277,279 times
bjimmy24 has given good, realistic advice.

Old 09-23-2018, 08:09 PM

3,755 posts, read 4,808,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciara32 View Post
Hi! I'm from Wichita, Kansas. I grew up around here and been here my whole life; 26 years! I want to try something new and have decided upon moving to Boston. I have a specific job currently here in economic development that I've been doing for 6 years but I would like to do something more exciting when I move. I have a bachelor's degree in business admin. I also have two dogs that I for sure would like to bring with me. I have a goal to be out there by August 2019. Any advice is appreciated!
Boston is one of the higher cost of living cities and metro areas in this country, so I would expect a bit of sticker shock when it comes to housing. Not sure if you went to a big college (Kansas, Kansas State, Oklahoma, etc.) but college sports are not that big around here. We have great college hockey, but beyond that it's nothing like other parts of the country. Winter can be cold and snowy here. People can be more direct and blunt here.

Boston is a fantastic city and the surrounding area is great too - this area has a lot to offer. Maybe come for a visit to check the city and area out?

Old 09-23-2018, 08:37 PM

1,296 posts, read 1,067,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
You want to think check things out and think things through. I would feel bad though, if you let the negativity of some people here put an end to your dreams.

Yes, it's more difficult to rent with dogs. If you rent with dogs now, you probably already knew that though. I had a german shepherd when I was renting, and she went where I went, period. There was no way in h--l I was going to ditch that dog. I did need to look harder, but so I did. I always found something - in the Washington DC burbs, in the Rochester, NY burbs, and in the Boston burbs. One time I swayed a nervous landlord by first vouching for my dog and then offering above the asking rent for a townhouse in Rochester, for example, where pets weren't allowed - I got the place.

It is true that the cost of living is very high here, especially in or adjacent to Boston and Cambridge, and the bottom line is, the cost of living is a lot easier on someone who has money, no denying that. But (A) it's not like everyone who lives here is a Harvard educated neurosurgeon, and (B) moving to this area doesn't *have* to mean either working or living downtown in Boston or Cambridge, which make both housing cost and commuting tough. You might find work in the suburbs, and then live outside there, where it's cheaper. Can always drive into Boston or Cambridge on the weekend. Don't *have* to live or work there.
Well, it does take a Harvard-educated neurosurgeon’s salary to buy a downtown condo that would be affordable on a ~$80K-90K salary elsewhere.

Old 09-23-2018, 08:50 PM

652 posts, read 751,994 times
I'd suggest Portland Maine instead. Pretty much a microcosm of Boston, incredible food and craft beer, creative young people, old architecture, seaside living and awful winters at a lower cost of living. And only a 2 hour drive or amtrak/bus to Boston. But line up a job first.

Old 09-23-2018, 09:50 PM

7 posts, read 8,096 times
Some have asked about budget and so here's what I'm thinking. If it's unrealistic let me have it haha. Currently I make about $42,000/yr and my mortgage is $650/month. Crazy right? I plan on keeping my home and renting it so I can have a little passive income. Hopefully I can find a job in the area for $45-$50,000/yr and rent a place for $1,500/month. Obviously I will have to live on a tighter budget with those margins but I think it just might be doable.

Old 09-23-2018, 11:06 PM

974 posts, read 1,903,544 times
$1500 will require roommates—if they accept ��.

$1k is average roommate rent in Boston proper.

Old 09-24-2018, 05:36 AM

41,936 posts, read 37,029,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flowbe202 View Post
$1500 will require roommates—if they accept ��.

I know at least a dozen people that live in Boston/Cambridge/Somerville/Medford/Arlington that have a place on their own for that or less.

Old 09-24-2018, 05:39 AM

11,076 posts, read 12,486,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I know at least a dozen people that live in Boston/Cambridge/Somerville/Medford/Arlington that have a place on their own for that or less.
The problem would be the 2 dogs I think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston