Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2006, 03:43 PM

2 posts, read 28,557 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to Boston in a little over a week and am still having trouble nailing down a rental. I've heard a lot of great things about Southie and am wondering:

What is the safest part of Southie to move to?
Are there any bad parts of the neighborhood that I should avoid?

Last edited by jambo6; 12-18-2006 at 03:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2006, 05:34 PM

639 posts, read 3,528,368 times
Default You'll love it there!

You're going to LOVE living in Southie, good luck and all the best to you!

I personally really like the East side rather than the West side of Southie, but that's just my preference. The West side is extremely all built up now and there's some gorgeous loft style apartments in renovated brick buildings all over the place and they're right near the Broadway "T" stop, which would be ideal for you. Don't go by what I'm telling you though, go look at these apartments for yourself. I've driven by them many times and have seen them from only driving by. I was in quite a few of them on the East side and lived in one on the East side, that's why I prefer that side more. You'd be closer to the beach too on the East side, that's one thing that you'll really enjoy in the nice weather, trust me on that!

It was always pretty safe in South Boston I always thought, I mean, I never had any problems at all in all the years living there. You could go out in the middle of the night and walk around, up and down all the streets and nothing ever happened at all, that I could remember, I'm sure I would have remembered if something DID happen out there at that hour! One night I came home really late (one of many nights of course, back then) and I was scared out of my ever loving mind this particular night, and what was it? It was a raccoon! This little critter was walking along, right up the middle of the street, right along side me, all I could think of was that this little thing had rabies or something, it was SO weird looking! I was a wreck that it was going to go ballistic on me or something. I thought to God I was seeing things THAT night, I couldn't believe it was even in the City to begin with! That's about the only major little "catastrophe" I had living over there in all those years! So it just goes to show you just how safe you'll be living over there!

Rooney re dot com is a good site to check out for apartments, so isn't South Boston Online dot com. They're both pretty good for checking out apartments. I saw a beautiful apartment on the East side for rent at Thomas Park for $1500 a month, now that wasn't too bad! You can get the MBTA bus right on the corner and it'll bring you to the South Station area where the Financial District is or you could walk up further along East Broadway near the Stop & Shop and get the Bayside bus that will bring you to the Back Bay area of Boston, in no time. It's very convenient living there and it of course also depends on where your job is located in downtown Boston.

There was a 1 bedroom on the West side on the Rooney-re dot com site, it said it was close to the bus and near the T; for $1200 a month. That was a good deal compared to most of them. Another apartment I saw on that site that was on the East side and it had HEAT included which is something you should consider, especially now with the way oil is. This one was for $1800 a month. Much happiness living in my favorite part of Boston, you'll have wonderful memories living in Southie, that you'll always cherish!

Last edited by CityGirl52; 12-18-2006 at 05:40 PM.. Reason: Grammar...

Old 12-19-2006, 07:18 AM

2 posts, read 28,557 times
Wow! Thanks so much for taking the time to respond!! This helps out a lot!

Old 03-03-2007, 02:24 AM

17 posts, read 56,833 times
Default Southie vs South End

>> I've heard a lot of great things about Southie and am wondering:

jambo6, are you sure you are not mistaking Southie for the South End? I question it because of all the great things you say you heard about Southie. To be sure, there is a lot that people love about "Southie", AKA South Boston, but I don't hear many people raving about it. It was popularly depicted in 'Good Will Hunting'. It's separated from the rest of the city by highways and bridges, largely blue collar Irish, etc., but that is an over-simplification as is with any place you try to sum up in a phrase.

Dont be offended if you know the difference, I have come across many people from out of state who think they are one and the same. Conversely, the South End is perhaps the most ethnically and culturally diverse part of the city with projects, luxury condos, trendy restaurants, art galleries, a brand new Boston Center for the Arts (where I saw Brian Dennehy perform last year) and restored Victorian-era row houses, all within reasonable distance of the Back Bay and Theater District. It's kind of the best and the worst of Boston in a square mile or so... which I find both interesting and exhilarating. I like the United Nations feeling of the South End, where South Boston is quite white and traditional. Again -- I just want to make sure you had the right "southern" part of the city.

Last edited by Theseus; 03-03-2007 at 02:34 AM..

Old 10-30-2007, 08:29 PM

2 posts, read 15,999 times
If it's safety you are concerned about avoid the area East of Old Colony Ave other than that all areas in Southie are safe. The best area I believe is the area between E Street and Dorchester Ave and West Broadway and West 1st. The reason is its only a ten minute walk to the Red Line (which gives you easy access to the jobs in the Financial District and the Biotech Companies in Cambridge - and the rest of the city) but it's far away enough away from all the hustle and bustle that happens around a T stop.

Also, there is MUCH less crime in Southie than in the South End. I am referring to vandalism, car breakins, muggings..etc.

Old 03-16-2009, 08:24 AM

8 posts, read 30,451 times
Forget your car in South Boston. Impossible. Mass transit service is good. 10-speed bikes abound, but only for the four months or so, you can pedal to work.
There is not much industry left there, thanks to the local SB thugocracy, but the nice homes along Marine Road retain their charm (& prices). Still the neighborhood of preference for Boston cops and firefighters...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston