Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2019, 10:10 AM

12,820 posts, read 22,009,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
I find it interesting that you think the Daily Mail story (if true) would tarnish Papi's image.

Because he allegedly cheated on his wife? Please...

Someone tried to assassinate him!
My thoughts exactly. Cheating is never a good thing, but how much is it going to tarnish his image really? I'm always surprised at how many people are caught off guard when celebrities show relatively standard human flaws. We really need to stop putting celebrities on such a pedestal and expecting perfection from them. They're human too. Papi has done great things for this city on and off the field. He's always friendly and welcoming to fans. Cheating doesn't tarnish any of that that. If it happened, it's a personal issue between those closest to him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2019, 10:41 AM

23,539 posts, read 18,687,760 times
^Plus that doesn't even account for the other obvious thing, which is at this point it's nothing but hearsay. The only thing we know is that there was an assassination attempt carried out by thugs.

Old 06-11-2019, 11:29 AM

17,686 posts, read 9,168,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
My thoughts exactly. Cheating is never a good thing, but how much is it going to tarnish his image really? I'm always surprised at how many people are caught off guard when celebrities show relatively standard human flaws. We really need to stop putting celebrities on such a pedestal and expecting perfection from them. They're human too. Papi has done great things for this city on and off the field. He's always friendly and welcoming to fans. Cheating doesn't tarnish any of that that. If it happened, it's a personal issue between those closest to him.
Well said.

Papi had surgery in Boston during the night. Successful, and the NY Post said he smiled when talking with his family.

Old 06-11-2019, 12:26 PM

6,122 posts, read 5,092,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Missed my point entirely. By glossing over the likely motive (according to police sources in DR), and continuing to call this a possible robbery, the Globe and local Boston media are deliberately misrepresenting the issue. Why they're doing that is pure speculation, of course...my guess was they're doing it to protect his image, which is not their job.

Old 06-11-2019, 12:59 PM

12,820 posts, read 22,009,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
Missed my point entirely. By glossing over the likely motive (according to police sources in DR), and continuing to call this a possible robbery, the Globe and local Boston media are deliberately misrepresenting the issue. Why they're doing that is pure speculation, of course...my guess was they're doing it to protect his image, which is not their job.
I wasn't addressing your point, I was responding to the point another poster made (the person I quoted in my post).

I personally don't care about the way the media has handled the possible motive at this point. It's a relative non-issue compared to the bigger story which is that one of the city's biggest sports icons is in the hospital after being shot. I think that if they don't have good information one way or another they should say nothing rather than "possible robbery," but I also don't think it's protecting his image by not reporting on the alleged affair either. That hasn't been substantiated at this point in time and it's easier to clarify that "possible robbery" wasn't the case than it is to have to walk "attempted hit after sleeping with the wife of a local drug dealer" if that turns out to be inaccurate. So it's understandable why the Globe and most other major outlets aren't reporting on the affair storyline right now. The Daily Mail and the NY Post are notorious for publishing gossip/rumors. Sometimes they turn out to be accurate, many times they do not. We will see on this one, but again, it's really not the big issue right now.

Old 06-11-2019, 02:01 PM

10,006 posts, read 15,656,467 times
Quote:
What does the Herald say? The Globe is owned by John Henry, so we won't get the truth from that source.

Old 06-11-2019, 02:38 PM

6,122 posts, read 5,092,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
What does the Herald say? The Globe is owned by John Henry, so we won't get the truth from that source.
Of course, he owns the Red Sox too! What was I thinking?

I just checked the online version of the Herald too...I see even less depth.

Old 06-11-2019, 02:51 PM

10,006 posts, read 15,656,467 times
Quote:
Of course, he owns the Red Sox too! What was I thinking?

I just checked the online version of the Herald too...I see even less depth.
I just looked at the Herald, too. It says the attack was "targeted" and "Dominican officials declined to confirm the gunman’s motive, but Ortiz’s spokesman, Leo Lopez said, “There is not a single doubt that this was an act of hired killers."

At least there's a hint there!

Old 06-11-2019, 02:59 PM

17,686 posts, read 9,168,053 times
From his wife...

https://twitter.com/MarlyRiveraESPN/...73775568232454

Old 06-11-2019, 03:39 PM

63 posts, read 27,171 times
Quote:
Yes...it's obvious from watching the video, that it was no robbery and not random. It's incredible how far the Globe is going to preserve the image of this local icon...still clinging to the "possible robbery as a motive" story. The Daily Mail has had the drug lord wife / lover motive featured prominently in their coverage for the past 12 hrs. From my past experience with them, only a matter of time before the rest of the media catches up...although it'll be fun to see if the Globe ever admits to it.
I think the Boston Globe is partly owned by the Red Sox.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston