Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2019, 11:13 AM

2,364 posts, read 1,851,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post
I would take the orange line to Rox Crossing and walk.
It's two miles walk just to get to the orange line from Cornell then you have to wait on the train, take the train, then walk another 15 minutes from rox to longwood
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2019, 11:18 AM

3,207 posts, read 2,116,611 times
there are 14 bus lines that run down Washington St. Thats what i would do. Bus to FH and walk from Rox crossing or take the 66

Old 08-05-2019, 11:20 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,733,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_League View Post
It's two miles walk just to get to the orange line from Cornell then you have to wait on the train, take the train, then walk another 15 minutes from rox to longwood
Its a 1-2 minute walk to Washington street from 82 Cornell.
Catch 35-36-37 to forest hills-about 12-13 minutes.
Then its about 5 stops to Roxbury Crossing form Forest Hills-15 minutes.
The walk from Roxbury Crossing to Longwood is a .7 mile walk-15 minutes.

All in all your commute will be 45 minutes from Roslindale on Public transit maybe 55 on a bad day or in the winter.

Old 08-05-2019, 11:28 AM

2,364 posts, read 1,851,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post
there are 14 bus lines that run down Washington St. Thats what i would do. Bus to FH and walk from Rox crossing or take the 66
true but if I doing that I'd just take the 39 from fh to longwood. takes you right there and it's a little faster. Like I said close to an hour in rush hour 45-55 minutes is a good estimate

either way i'd still much rather commute from there than medford. Rozzie to Longwood is an easy bike ride 8 months of the year

Old 08-05-2019, 11:30 AM

15 posts, read 11,480 times
Thank you so much for all your input. We dont drive. I am in a wheelchair and so will be using the bus or T entirely.

Old 08-05-2019, 06:18 PM

23,571 posts, read 18,678,020 times
Is Hadley Place anywhere near the future Green Line extension? If so then that would be something to consider, in which case that would become the better commute to Longwood. But as of now, Roslindale would probably be an easier commute. Saying that, it is my opinion that Roslindale has become a very overvalued neighborhood. And like others said, that's not even a more desirable part of it there. Cornell St. happens to be a street or two over from the projects. I have known 2 separate people who've lived on Cornell St. over the years and haven't had any real issues to report, but that is still something to consider. I personally wouldn't like it. Pleasant Café has great pizza though.

Old 08-05-2019, 06:35 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,765,155 times
Cornell St also looks to be close to bus route #50 which stops along Metropolitan Ave and Poplar St. It doesn't run as frequently as the #34 on Washington St but is still an alternative option. The Needham commuter rail line also runs through Roslindale though the O.P's most convenient itinerary would likely be the one stop Forest Hills to Ruggles trip. At Ruggles, there are Longwood Medical Area (LMA) shuttles run by MASCO that go directly to Longwood; there are also other MBTA bus routes such as the #8, #47, #CT2, and #CT3 that do the same.

Old 08-05-2019, 07:01 PM

15 posts, read 11,480 times
It is a mile away from the future Green line extension. Commute wise, Cornell street works great for me as my work place is just next to the 39 stop. I am only worried about the ROI and the lack of entertainment (park, restaurants, cinema, bars) nearby.

Old 08-06-2019, 05:33 AM

3,207 posts, read 2,116,611 times
There are plenty of wonderful parks. There's Stony brook Reservation. Turtle pond. Arnold Arboretum. SW corridor to Emerald necklace. short drive to Blue Hills reservation It's truly remarkable in that sense. As far as entertainment goes.. There are a few restaurants and bars in Rozzi Square. There is cafes and a smaller grocery. West rox is close with 2 larger grocery and even more dining and take out spots. Cinema..not so much. chestnut hill may be the closest.

If ROI is your main concern than I guess you really have different motives than finding a nice place to live with your family. It shouldn't be your main concern.

I can't speak much about the current state of Medford, and hope someone can chime in with better info on that.

Old 08-06-2019, 05:46 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,733,519 times
OP doesn't drive. Roslindale has many more entertainment options than just 7-8 years ago. But yes you will find there is a lack of entertainment in southern Boston in general but parks wont be an issue.

But quite frankly i think youre ROI wont be nearly as great as it would be in Medford because that house is firmly overpriced, even for Roslindale. You could probablly get that exact house for 250k less in neighboring Hyde Park. You'd have to see it in person because it looks to be somewhat of a fixer upper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston