Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2019, 09:22 AM

6,121 posts, read 5,084,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
How is Kendall Sq a dump to live in? 20 years ago it was a bit of a wasteland as far as amenities, but that's long gone. Tons of restaurants and other amenities now. Its become a place people actually travel too after work.
Yeah, that comment is totally out of touch. Kendall actually feels posh when you walk around. Now Central is still a bit gritty!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2019, 10:45 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,908,519 times
Kendall Square isn't all that residential, though, unless you like ultra-expensive, modernistic apts/condos for exhorbitant prices. Remember--you don't have to live IN it to enjoy it...

Old 12-26-2019, 10:58 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
Kendall Square isn't all that residential, though, unless you like ultra-expensive, modernistic apts/condos for exhorbitant prices. Remember--you don't have to live IN it to enjoy it...

No, and he won't be able to at his budget, still, it isn't a bad place to live if you work there and can afford it.

Old 12-27-2019, 06:54 AM

4,249 posts, read 3,719,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
The rent is too high, and its not worth it. Also Kendall Square is a bit of a dump to live in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
How is Kendall Sq a dump to live in? 20 years ago it was a bit of a wasteland as far as amenities, but that's long gone. Tons of restaurants and other amenities now. Its become a place people actually travel too after work.
The rent is high, although you might be able to get an apartment in OP's budget. But I think it's a great place to live if you can find something. It's actually fairly quiet at night, although it is near lots of restaurants, shopping, transportation, etc. I would not at all describe it as a dump -- it's a highly desirable place to live. I lived in an apartment there for several months when we were moving up here and it was great. In some ways, my husband and I wished we could have lived there.

Old 12-27-2019, 05:45 PM

12,157 posts, read 7,980,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
The rent is high, although you might be able to get an apartment in OP's budget. But I think it's a great place to live if you can find something. It's actually fairly quiet at night, although it is near lots of restaurants, shopping, transportation, etc. I would not at all describe it as a dump -- it's a highly desirable place to live. I lived in an apartment there for several months when we were moving up here and it was great. In some ways, my husband and I wished we could have lived there.
its desirable but there still is a fair amount of factories, warehouses and blight in the immediately outside Kendall Square areain the MIT area until you approach Cambridgeport. I guess thats what I was referring to.. I sometimes mixup where Kendall's boundaries are.

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3627...7i16384!8i8192

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3604...7i16384!8i8192

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3582...7i13312!8i6656

Just a lot of spots like this I notice when walking around the area. Am I being to critical here... I feel like I am.

Old 12-27-2019, 06:03 PM

604 posts, read 560,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
its desirable but there still is a fair amount of factories, warehouses and blight in the immediately outside Kendall Square areain the MIT area until you approach Cambridgeport. I guess thats what I was referring to.. I sometimes mixup where Kendall's boundaries are.

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3627...7i16384!8i8192

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3604...7i16384!8i8192

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3582...7i13312!8i6656

Just a lot of spots like this I notice when walking around the area. Am I being to critical here... I feel like I am.
Bruh. You just posted some shots of perfectly clean (no trash or homeless) brick warehouses, parking lots and a rail line.

Go to Baltimore or Detroit or West Virginia and then come back and talk to us about blight.

Last edited by BosYuppie; 12-27-2019 at 06:30 PM..

Old 12-27-2019, 10:23 PM

12,157 posts, read 7,980,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BosYuppie View Post
Bruh. You just posted some shots of perfectly clean (no trash or homeless) brick warehouses, parking lots and a rail line.

Go to Baltimore or Detroit or West Virginia and then come back and talk to us about blight.
Its not the most visually appealing area.

Old 12-28-2019, 09:37 PM

1,899 posts, read 1,401,647 times
Kendall has a ton more amenities than it did years ago, however it is a fairly soulless neighborhood in which to live. The convenience of avoiding the constantly worsening commutes from almost any suburb is appealing, but it it’s one of the last Cambridge or Boston neighborhoods I’d choose.

Old 12-30-2019, 10:54 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,908,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by porterhouse View Post
Kendall has a ton more amenities than it did years ago, however it is a fairly soulless neighborhood in which to live. The convenience of avoiding the constantly worsening commutes from almost any suburb is appealing, but it it’s one of the last Cambridge or Boston neighborhoods I’d choose.
Good post--I agree completely. I don't see the physical attractiveness of Kendall Square--it has no neighborly feel whatsoever...

If you must live in Cambridge ( even if you don't), of all the squares (Kendall, Central, Harvard and Porter), I'd seriously look around Porter Square. A real neighborhood, with a large 24-hour grocery store on its outskirts, along with a Red Line AND Commuter rail stop..

Old 12-30-2019, 11:01 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
Good post--I agree completely. I don't see the physical attractiveness of Kendall Square--it has no neighborly feel whatsoever...

If you must live in Cambridge ( even if you don't), of all the squares (Kendall, Central, Harvard and Porter), I'd seriously look around Porter Square. A real neighborhood, with a large 24-hour grocery store on its outskirts, along with a Red Line AND Commuter rail stop..

I'd probably try to do Inman so I could walk to work. But yeah, Kendall wouldn't be my first choice either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston