Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2021, 11:09 AM

21,629 posts, read 12,766,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
They're not necessarily looking for new...and if they are then maybe the Boston area in general is not the place for them.

Plenty of middle class people used to live in places like Dorchester and West Roxbury where they could have a single family home with a yard but they're priced out now.

I don't really care what the policy makers think is important. They do what's popular to keep getting elected. I'm not saying we shouldn't help poor people...but building new housing in the most desirable areas of the city so they can have a great life doing nothing while the working people have to move to **** suburbs with average schools doesn't sound like anything i want to be a part of.
Native born Americans and the middle class have been fleeing the Boston region for 30 years. Maybe because you haven’t is why you’re a little cranky?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2021, 11:16 AM

16,365 posts, read 8,187,139 times
Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Native born Americans and the middle class have been fleeing the Boston region for 30 years. Maybe because you haven’t is why you’re a little cranky?
I lived in Boston from 2005 to 2020. I was not particularly happy, neither was my husband so we left. That had always been the goal. Just very close together homes that don't come cheap, small, old (we were in Roslindale) some sketchy people, bad schools. I live on the south shore in a great town now and I really love it. It still upsets me to see what happened to Boston. It used to be a great city with character. The past few jobs I had no one was from the area, all people from out of state. I really haven't even been to Boston since I moved because of remote work. I'm sure at one point I'll have to be back. I also grew up in Milton, went to college out of state so I guess I'm not truly a Boston girl? I did spend a lot of time there in my 20's and 30's. It seems like the only way to be happy in Boston is if you make (or marry) millions or you're poor.

Old 01-08-2021, 11:24 AM

2,279 posts, read 1,341,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
They will drop it as low as they have to in order to fill it, still pays more then to be sitting empty.
Are you sure? If you have a 5 million house would rather sell it for 2 or wait for better times? Before I am convinced it's ok to sell it for 2 I would need a decade of house prices not recovering after a big collapse...on the other hand I am not millionaire so maybe that's why.

Old 01-08-2021, 11:35 AM

23,549 posts, read 18,700,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampert View Post
Are you sure? If you have a 5 million house would rather sell it for 2 or wait for better times? Before I am convinced it's ok to sell it for 2 I would need a decade of house prices not recovering after a big collapse...on the other hand I am not millionaire so maybe that's why.
Of course the math is unique in every situation, but even in your extreme example I take it very few (even millionaires) can afford or are willing to have that place sit empty for 10 years on the "hopes" they can make their money back. You also need to factor in taxes and maintenance costs that will be paid over that time, in addition to interest and other expense. Foreclosure is also a possibility, and does sometimes happen with these failed developments.

Old 01-08-2021, 11:42 AM

Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
And you moved from Boston to Baltimore...why? And why are so passionate about what Boston does with their housing?

Old 01-08-2021, 11:45 AM

448 posts, read 282,255 times
A couple things.

I live in the suburbs. We have a house, 2 cars, and are truly 'middle class' (IMO). 2 jobs, minimum savings, college payouts for kids, etc.... no white picket fence.

I like Marty Walsh. I like Governor Baker. I think I am like the average Joe living outside of Boston, that the 2 of them are doing a good job. Sure, I know theres corruption in politics. But AFAIK, these 2 guys have kept Boston and Mass in a good position. (sure, that could be wrong, based on facts, but , until I see them, Im thinking they did ok)

A lot has been said about Michele Wu. To me, shes no Walsh, Menino, or Flynn. How is 'a woman' that is 'not white' going to treat (and be treated) by typically blue collar union guys? Would they gte along with each other? I wouldnt think so.

Does Boston need a guy for mayor? Maybe. Not saying I cannot be swayed, but Im saying what a lot of people could be thinking.

Old 01-08-2021, 11:50 AM

Here's a good example of what I'm talking about:

https://www.redfin.com/MA/West-Roxbu...9uX251bWJlcj0z

Sorry but for almost a million bucks I want more house that doesn't involve 80's flowery wallpaper and I dont want to be forced to talk to my neighbor any time I go out on my back deck and they're out there too AND BPS. So yes I guess this is why people move out of the city. And it's ok. It's just hard to understand how that house is 829k.

Old 01-08-2021, 11:59 AM

4,626 posts, read 4,894,804 times
Quote:
They're not necessarily looking for new...and if they are then maybe the Boston area in general is not the place for them.
Your typical American middle classer wants a new house. Look into some of the other boards here - people will say an "old house" was one built in the 70s. The 1970s!

Old 01-08-2021, 12:01 PM

9,878 posts, read 7,209,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfatdude View Post
Affordable housing means units that cost just as much to build as regular market-rate units must be sold at nearly giveaway prices, which in turn means developer must price the remaining units high enough to make up for the loss. The higher percentage of the giveaway units, the higher the price on the remaining units - simple math. And if the break-even price is higher than the price prospective buyers are willing to pay in a certain location nothing gets built in that location.
Dude - they're not giving away affordable units in places like One Dalton at a loss. Those developers had to build 28 affordable units in Roxbury where costs are lower.

Old 01-08-2021, 12:06 PM

9,878 posts, read 7,209,711 times
Quote:
Cops and teachers are usually married to someone making a decent salary so they dont need affordable housing. Not to mention many boston cops make 150+. I do think prices in the city are crazy but I'm not sure the answer is affordable housing.
To qualify for affordable housing in Boston, a two person household can earn up to $58,350. Let's ignore what a cop makes. What does a custodian, CNA, retail worker in Boston make?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston