Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2021, 11:12 AM

2,279 posts, read 1,343,377 times

Advertisements

At 3,000$ a month you don't need to dig that hard to find a decent accommodation in the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2021, 07:05 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,772,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juniebug View Post
Thanks! This is what I’m looking for. Husband will work from home and I’m hoping to stay under $3,000/mo. I’m laughing at the cost of rent to keep from crying about it!

Too bad you didn't come to Boston in 1996 when $800 could have rented an entire 3BR apartment in many neighborhoods .

Anyways even though you're probably going to be working long hours as a resident, in the end it's comfort in a place that will dictate where you want to live. Are you a big city person? Are you accustomed to tight spaces or do you prefer a little more breathing room? I am quite familiar with the Tufts Medical Center Area and I can tell you it is almost big city downtown central. There will be people out and about much of the time but be especially alert at night as there are poorly lit areas around the campus including the area around the Orange Line rapid transit station. There is also a fair deal of homeless loitering about but the campus does has police call boxes everywhere so dial one in case you feel unsafe. Tufts Medical Area is pretty much surrounded by the Chinatown neighborhood which, though much improved from the 1980's and 90's, is still very much an urban neighborhood where you have to be especially streetwise. If you don't mind such surroundings, then by all means look for a place nearby. If you prefer to see detached houses and tree lined streets, then I suggest Jamaica Plain, Roslindale, or Malden.

Old 01-13-2021, 09:21 PM

21,637 posts, read 12,785,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
You still have to do some real digging to get below $1800 in the areas mentioned here. And even then, you'll compromise. For example, This 1br in JP is $1,550 and about 10 minutes walking from Forest Hills, but it's a converted attic (3rd floor walk-up). The building you posted has no vacancies. I'd plan on paying at least $1,800 and hope I get lucky and find something cheaper.
Naw it took me all of 35-40 seconds to find multiple below 1800 in JP. I don’t know if that qualifies as “serious digging” Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

Idk why you’re using Facebook looking for housing. Anyways the apartments aren’t that nice but they’re not attics either.

And Malden?? There’s tons In Malden, Lotta 2BRS at 1700 and 1800. This took maybe an additional 20 seconds? Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

EDIT: looks like you’ll have to put the Max $1800 filter on yourself.

Last edited by Yac; 01-20-2021 at 01:15 AM..

Old 01-14-2021, 08:20 AM

12,873 posts, read 22,035,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Naw it took me all of 35-40 seconds to find multiple below 1800 in JP. I don’t know if that qualifies as “serious digging” Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

Idk why you’re using Facebook looking for housing. Anyways the apartments aren’t that nice but they’re not attics either.

And Malden?? There’s tons In Malden, Lotta 2BRS at 1700 and 1800. This took maybe an additional 20 seconds? Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

EDIT: looks like you’ll have to put the Max $1800 filter on yourself.
I'm not saying you can't find anything under $1,800. I'm saying that I'd use $1,800 as a baseline for expectations. Even in the results you shared, the vast majority of the sub-$1,800 units are studios. A few have 1BRs for $1,650-1,790 (I actually toured some of them a few years ago). The OP can certainly find below $1,800. But once you get below that threshold, you're going to start to compromise a bit (i.e. dated, far from transit, far from town, small, missing amenities, etc.). So going into the hunt if you're unfamiliar with Boston (like the OP says she is), expecting to get a decent place to live, close (or an easy commute) to work for less than $1,800 isn't being entirely realistic even if it's not impossible.

*Edit*
I've used FB, Zillow and Craigslist all simultaneously. It's never a bad strategy as you'll find the same places across all platforms but often with different perks (slightly lower rent on one platform, a rent-free month on others, or reduced/no broker fees on others). FB historically has a good selection without broker fees.

Last edited by Yac; 01-20-2021 at 01:16 AM..

Old 01-18-2021, 09:04 AM

8,499 posts, read 4,563,867 times
The nearby Bay Village neighborhood. Short walk of just blocks to Tufts Medical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston