Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2021, 01:14 PM

1,296 posts, read 1,065,489 times

Advertisements

There's nothing strawman about the woke gestapo destroying BPS in the name of "equality."

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowstatus View Post
As shrewsburried put it, its annoying that these interesting and complex issues get turned into straw man talking points for outrage on one side or another.

The critique from the right has merit the individual effort and excellence matters. The perspective from the left also has merit that the disparity in outcomes should prompt reexamination of the process generating such disparate outcomes. The United States has a long history of creating de-facto segregation well past the end of the slavery. Separate but equal, voting eligibility tests, jim crow laws, and white flight into suburbs as some prominent examples.

Old 02-28-2021, 01:50 PM

5,955 posts, read 2,884,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
No, to use your analogy: wokeism is about reducing the number of people in both penthouses and basements. Rather, we’d like to see as many people as possible living in spacious apartments relatively close to the ground with modern utilities and plenty of natural light.

And unless they can raise the bar across the board (doubt it) BPS’ move doesn’t bring the system closer to that kind of equity. It really just brings certain people down without raising anyone up.

Granted, only a handful of schools had been using the program, which is kind of weird in and of itself.
Special Ed = = good ,..Advanced Placement = = BAD ,, Dumbing down the product is wokeism.
My parents took me out of the Boston School system many years ago ,,,thank god.

Old 02-28-2021, 01:53 PM

7,928 posts, read 7,828,278 times
Long ago when I was in middle school we had "Imp" Intergraded Math Program. It was a mix of algebra, trigonometry, geometry etc. It used real life problems and taught how to use the subject around it. Sound good..it was easy to get people into the class. However it was VERY hard to replace students if they wanted to leave. If you know half of each subject up ahead it means you are ahead and behind at the same time.

Old 02-28-2021, 05:46 PM

3,594 posts, read 1,796,031 times
Quote:
As shrewsburried put it, its annoying that these interesting and complex issues get turned into straw man talking points for outrage on one side or another.

The critique from the right has merit the individual effort and excellence matters. The perspective from the left also has merit that the disparity in outcomes should prompt reexamination of the process generating such disparate outcomes. The United States has a long history of creating de-facto segregation well past the end of the slavery. Separate but equal, voting eligibility tests, jim crow laws, and white flight into suburbs as some prominent examples.
If we were oppressing people of color or if past transgressions have put them at such a disadvantage that they can’t survive today why are so many of them migrating here? We legally take in 1.5 million mostly minority immigrants every year. Another million come here illegally. Black immigrants from Africa and the Caribbean, who largely outperform native whites, spend tens of thousands of dollars for the opportunity to live here. CIS had a study that showed nearly a billion people would migrate here if we offered green cards to the world. Also Massachusetts never had slavery or Jim Crow.

I am white, mostly Italian and Cuban. My Cuban grandparents migrated here escaping racial oppression. My entire family migrated here within the last 100 years. Why should I be responsible for past transgressions?

I also believe that more people would be open to helping the black community even more if they were making better decisions at the individual level. Father absenteeism for example, why are 70% of black fathers not active in their child’s life? No amount of money can fix that issue. Violent crime, nearly 60% of all violent crimes in the country are committed by young black men. There are a littany of issues that money can not fix. The changes need to come from within. Change won’t happen until the excuses and finger pointing ends.

Last edited by cttransplant85; 02-28-2021 at 05:55 PM..

Old 02-28-2021, 06:13 PM

16,454 posts, read 8,242,983 times
I find it hard to believe that bps would purposely not have gifted black kids in the program. It seems like every school and corporation is looking for the talented black people. Why pretend they're not there if they are ? They clearly aren't at bps or maybe they are within that 30% in the program but that's not good enough for people.

Old 02-28-2021, 06:17 PM

6,817 posts, read 6,056,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben young View Post
My parents took me out of the Boston School system many years ago ,,,thank god.
Maybe if they’d left you in, you’d know how to use a comma.

Old 02-28-2021, 06:23 PM

16,454 posts, read 8,242,983 times
Default Re

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
Maybe if they’d left you in, you’d know how to use a comma.
I think maybe he meant to use an ellipsis. Not sure if bps teaches what that is.

Old 02-28-2021, 07:55 PM

2,279 posts, read 1,345,057 times
Quote:

The critique from the left really doesn't have anything to do with what this decision of BPS.
Of all the thing they could have done, closing a program that promotes excellence was the last thing to do. You keep it open and work hard to improve the level of students that are good enough to get in the program.
Obviously it takes time, and this is the problem.

Actually it doesn't only take time, certain things are not going to change that easily. There are fundamental cultural differences behind. Have you heard how fiercely competitive the (good) school system is in East Asia or India? This mentality is very present in first gen Asians living here, and it's also present in 2nd and 3rd gen (albeit less). This makes a huge difference in the school system and it's the reason why Asians outperform whites (and any other race) in per capita income and academic achievements.

Also, since when effort and excellence are a prerogative of the right?! Have you seen the right?

Old 02-28-2021, 07:58 PM

2,279 posts, read 1,345,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cttransplant85 View Post
I am white, mostly Italian and Cuban. My Cuban grandparents migrated here escaping racial oppression.
Sorry but, what racial oppression have white Cubans suffered in Cuba? (I am saying white Cubans since you said you are white)

Old 02-28-2021, 08:15 PM

3,594 posts, read 1,796,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampert View Post
Sorry but, what racial oppression have white Cubans suffered in Cuba? (I am saying white Cubans since you said you are white)
Have you not studied the Cuban revolution? Castro went around seizing white people’s assets; their homes, their businesses, jailing those who fought back or those who were openly against him politically, etc. It was exclusively the white population he targeted. Afro-Cubans who were his base were completely left alone. The white population on the island went from 70% to 25%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston