Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2022, 10:11 AM

21,745 posts, read 12,888,027 times

Advertisements

Another shooting in Dorchester this morning. Life-threatening injuries. Person Hospitalized After Dorchester Shooting

Also yesterday BPD arrested a 13 year old driving an unregistered car on Columbia Road in Dorchester and packing a .380 Ruger.

Boston Police: 13-year-old driving vehicle arrested after found with loaded gun
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2022, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
Is that a record? I don't recall the number of shootings in Boston in any one night to ever be that high in the bad, old days.
I am unable to find or think of another night when 11 people were shot in Boston.

I assume it probably happened sometime between 1989-1991 but I cant find any proof of it. It is either a record or very close to it.

Old 07-05-2022, 12:09 PM

16,655 posts, read 8,369,674 times
So why do we think this is happening? My thoughts are its people not caring about the law anymore and basically saying F You to the government. Could also be the rising rents and what the COL of living in Boston has become...but i dont know since many of these people involved in shootings are from EBT/section 8 backgrounds so they shouldn't be that affected by this.

BPD haven't given up and I don't think Boston has become Chicago. In Chicago apparently gangs go into the nicer restaurants in the city, eat and don't pay the tab and there's little that can be done. I haven't heard of this happening in Boston...but perhaps something restaurant owners should brace themselves for. Downtown Chicago is very nice, one might argue that it's nicer than Boston.

Old 07-05-2022, 12:28 PM

5,126 posts, read 2,705,313 times
Sexual assaults is currently the only category of crime recorded with an increase. The prevalence of date rape drug incidents is also concerning.

Old 07-05-2022, 12:35 PM

Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
Sexual assaults is currently the only category of crime recorded with an increase. The prevalence of date rape drug incidents is also concerning.
The date rape drug thing is weird. Like what's the point? Plenty of women will go home with men on their own these days. Must be some kind of sick thrill of watching someone lose their inhibitions.

Old 07-11-2022, 06:55 AM

12,194 posts, read 8,088,045 times
https://nypost.com/2022/07/10/boston...could-be-like/

Found this interesting.

Old 07-11-2022, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
I honestly dont tihs story was done by a SF reporter during the finals ( in that case it felt a lot more legitimate). But here? She went to Downtown Boston which has always been nice in our lifetimes. In general I don't find NYC to be anything like San Fran or Baltimore in terms of weirdness and sketchiness.

Definitely, is open-air drug dealing both on the common and in Downtown Crossing so that's just inaccurate. She also cites crime figures which on a per capita level show Boston as worse (thats not the case in 2022 but yea..., kind of a mistake on her part)

Just to keep it all the way, all the way honest I've had more weird homeless people threaten or harass me in Boston than in NYC and its growing... the last time I was there I saw pan handlers in junkies on Seaver Street (never seen that in my life before) and on Dot Ave. There was also a new panhandler on Morton Street.

I think people's real issue is that minorities are visible and police presence is visible in NYC.

When crimes happen in NYC they're generally touted by the national media as a moral failure and harbinger of things to do when outrageous crimes happen in Boston they're either just not reported on at all or they come and go in half a day.

No one in Boston talks about the Shaun Harrison Shooting, the Sandra Bullock Shooting, the kid shot in BPS headquarters, the bodega owners fighting for their lives at Marcella Market or anything like that. A dude was killed on an orange line platform a few months ago and it was crickets. A kid is killed on an NYC platform the other day and its a CNN story. A man is (seriously) stabbed in downtown Boston last week..crickets. I remember when a dude was fatally stabbed right in front of South Station late 2016/early 2017 and it literally never made a major media publication. I got off the bus from Hartford to a bunch of dried blook on the Atlantic Ave Sidewalk...The media coverage is very different.

The only time i felt a little head on a swivel in Manhattan was during the absolute peak of the pandemic at 3 am in Ties Square. That was a little chaotic energy but I spent like 45 minutes there (one of those pedal things for tourist and getting pizza/walking around) nothing happened, there were no fights just young people talking loudly being ratchet.

Manhattan and Northern brooklyn in particular are very nice.

Old 07-11-2022, 08:43 AM

2,435 posts, read 1,330,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
I honestly dont tihs story was done by a SF reporter during the finals ( in that case it felt a lot more legitimate). But here? She went to Downtown Boston which has always been nice in our lifetimes. In general I don't find NYC to be anything like San Fran or Baltimore in terms of weirdness and sketchiness.

Definitely, is open-air drug dealing both on the common and in Downtown Crossing so that's just inaccurate. She also cites crime figures which on a per capita level show Boston as worse (thats not the case in 2022 but yea..., kind of a mistake on her part)

Just to keep it all the way, all the way honest I've had more weird homeless people threaten or harass me in Boston than in NYC and its growing... the last time I was there I saw pan handlers in junkies on Seaver Street (never seen that in my life before) and on Dot Ave. There was also a new panhandler on Morton Street.

I think people's real issue is that minorities are visible and police presence is visible in NYC.

When crimes happen in NYC they're generally touted by the national media as a moral failure and harbinger of things to do when outrageous crimes happen in Boston they're either just not reported on at all or they come and go in half a day.

No one in Boston talks about the Shaun Harrison Shooting, the Sandra Bullock Shooting, the kid shot in BPS headquarters, the bodega owners fighting for their lives at Marcella Market or anything like that. A dude was killed on an orange line platform a few months ago and it was crickets. A kid is killed on an NYC platform the other day and its a CNN story. A man is (seriously) stabbed in downtown Boston last week..crickets. I remember when a dude was fatally stabbed right in front of South Station late 2016/early 2017 and it literally never made a major media publication. I got off the bus from Hartford to a bunch of dried blook on the Atlantic Ave Sidewalk...The media coverage is very different.

The only time i felt a little head on a swivel in Manhattan was during the absolute peak of the pandemic at 3 am in Ties Square. That was a little chaotic energy but I spent like 45 minutes there (one of those pedal things for tourist and getting pizza/walking around) nothing happened, there were no fights just young people talking loudly being ratchet.

Manhattan and Northern brooklyn in particular are very nice.
Considering she specifically calls out Midtown Manhattan as her NYC comparison (in the first sentence no less), it does seem like an appropriate apples to apples comparison with Downtown Boston. If she was basing her comparison on time spent in Queens or the Bronx, then it would have been more appropriate to compare to Roxbury or Dorchester.

Time spent in each obviously led to different (and, in some cases, inaccurate) observations, and that's worth discussing.

Old 07-11-2022, 08:43 AM

Yet a 16 yr old brought a machete to a party and that made yahoo news:

https://news.yahoo.com/boston-police...234953308.html

Why? I honestly don’t care about that

Old 07-11-2022, 08:44 AM

There’s also way more people in nyc than in Boston. So yes there’s going to be way more people with issues. Wasn’t it mentioned that most of the wealthy New Yorkers left nyc during the pandemic for their summer homes ? I’m sure many haven’t returned.

Boston isn’t nyc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston