Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2021, 04:08 AM

2,952 posts, read 5,209,024 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
I can appreciate it being annoying when people take up too much space on the train. I can even empathize a little about excessive swearing (if there are kids around). But since when has eating or dinking on the train ever been something that's frowned upon?
Long response...

I and a friend who rides Manhattan subways both feel eating and drinking on public transit is trashy. I simply assumed most or all people educated and/or raised properly knew this.

I dread when I'm sitting on a subway or bus, and the person standing right over me has a hot coffee or even a cold drink near my face. Who wouldn't? I cowardly never say anything, but admire those who rightfully bark at such rudeness when in this situation. All it takes is an abrupt turn or stop to get hit with hot liquid! And they're often unbalanced, holding it in one hand while browsing their phone with the other.

I was on a Europe trip my parents treated me to in 1983. Went with a college roommate We had just grabbed our order of fish 'n chips, then dashed down to the London Tube in a rush to somewhere. I abruptly opened my fish 'n chips container and started to sample this London treat; my friend quickly admonished me, warning me that one shouldnt/doesn't eat on a subway! I don't know where or when he learned this, but I've later so appreciated it.

I felt so embarrassed. I knew him well, so he felt comfortable telling me off; I still recall this life lesson decades later and still appreciate that advice, better life knowledge than many college courses I, and many others, took.

Have I ever eaten on public transit? Well, yes, but so rarely, and only when it's not crowded at the beginning of the B line at BC and I just bought ice cream or pizza slices...even then, I'll dash to the back of the train where nobody is sitting and finish my ice cream. Plus, I don't like to eat in front of people who are strangers when in closed spaces. Then would also worry about greasy hands and lips as well as crumbs dropping on the floor. I know, I know: screw everyone else and just don't worry about what others think of me?! Life is short, right?

Some or most Uber drivers will give you a bad rating if you eat in their car without asking, from what I've often read in a driver's forum. When I drove Uber, I'd mark a rider down in my mind as rude if they ate, or even sipped coffee, without asking -- but still gave 5 stars after the ride because I'm too nice. But giving 5 stars to them is not "fare" to the many riders who don't eat or drink and behave well who are the true 5 star riders.

Yes, Uber and Lyft drivers rate riders, just as they rate us, in case some riders still aren't aware of that. And some or most will refuse riders with low ratings, resulting in longer waits for those passengers. And if riders make a big stain or mess, the driver will file for a $50 or so cleaning fee charged to the rider.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2021, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
It's outlawed in some cities.
Yes, I believe so. At least I heard decades ago that was the policy in D.C. I don't know if that was due to the relatively new subway cars and stations back then or even on all buses. Older posters might recall a famous politician's galpal caught eating a banana (!) on the platform (or maybe in the subway car) who was fined -- or at least ticketed.

Not sure if that's the case in D.C. nowadays or any American city.

And I heard from some unofficial person just a couple years ago that in Buenos Aires, or some large city in that part of the world, that one never eats or drinks while walking on the sidewalks. It's likely considered low class? Supposedly there are little tables or whatever to stop at to eat and sip. Maybe that's primarily with professional folks in a weekday setting? Yes, hard to believe...at least for some Americans.

Sorry to get off topic.

Old 07-25-2021, 04:28 AM

Quote:
I can appreciate it being annoying when people take up too much space on the train. I can even empathize a little about excessive swearing (if there are kids around). But since when has eating or dinking on the train ever been something that's frowned upon?
I'm not talking about taking up too much space, which is bad enough.

It's when it's not crowded, and a passenger somehow feels it's okay to spread their legs and shoes out over the entire section of empty seats! They'll have their back planted against the partition separating the seats from the subway car. On my red line rudee. Not as feasible on green line trains, though, due to its layout. Usually it's the 18-25 crowd, but others also. Looks comfy! It *infuriates* me. And if they're also eating? Aaargh! If one only commutes during crowded rush hours, it's hopefully not happening, but it can during off hours. Maybe I'm simply too picky on this issue?

Old 07-25-2021, 05:46 PM

16,643 posts, read 8,369,674 times
I think it's so rude when people put their feet up on the seats. Or put their bag next to them on the seat. I've had so many situations where I've had to tell someone to move their bag so I can sit down. One time i said it to an overweight woman who had her bag on the seat and she seemed so irritated and actually said to me i actually don't think you're going to fit there. I just said well I have long way to go so I'll try and in squeezed myself in. Sorry but just because you're fat doesn't mean you get to put your bags on the seat.

One time my mother got on the train and went to sit on a seat where a guy had a little shopping bag. He said this seat is reserved. My mom was so surprised that she went and sat somewhere else. As she was doing that another woman goes, ain't no m@therf@cking reserving seats on the redline. My mom was like yeah that's right.

Old 07-25-2021, 06:12 PM

21,745 posts, read 12,888,027 times
I didnt know eating or drinking on public transit was frowned upon until I went to DC. Growing up seeing kids eating breakfast on the way to school or even adults on their way to work in the morning was common. People with their warm breakfast sandwiches and Dunkin Donuts coffees eating while bundle up trying to stay warm in Botons winter...I never thought twice about it and found it bizarre when DC's subway was so immaculately clean and enforced a now oud music and no eating/dirnking policy. both of which I considered to be staples of the MBTA experience. This is one of multiple ways I found Washington DC to be a bit more rigid and neat than Boston.

Old 07-25-2021, 06:39 PM

It just doesn't seem clean for anyone to eat a sandwich or something on the train.

Old 07-26-2021, 06:39 AM

6,820 posts, read 6,078,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I think it's so rude when people put their feet up on the seats. Or put their bag next to them on the seat. I've had so many situations where I've had to tell someone to move their bag so I can sit down.
I agree that both things are annoying when the car is full, but it sounded like the other poster gets offended even when people do this in empty cars. Don't know why anyone would care if there's plenty of seats open.

As for eating, I used to take the green line from high school to North Station multiple times a week in the spring for sports practice. You better believe I'd eat on that train if I could. Plenty of other reasons why people may need to eat while commuting.

I'd say just try to avoid eating anything crummy, or at least do your best to catch crumbs in a bag that can be thrown out after.

Old 07-26-2021, 07:29 AM

2,435 posts, read 1,330,947 times
Quote:
I agree that both things are annoying when the car is full, but it sounded like the other poster gets offended even when people do this in empty cars. Don't know why anyone would care if there's plenty of seats open.

As for eating, I used to take the green line from high school to North Station multiple times a week in the spring for sports practice. You better believe I'd eat on that train if I could. Plenty of other reasons why people may need to eat while commuting.

I'd say just try to avoid eating anything crummy, or at least do your best to catch crumbs in a bag that can be thrown out after.
I'd say my pet peeve isn't people eating, but people eating smelly things. Munching on a ham sandwich on the train or a plane? Fine by me. Bringing your clambake on board? Gonna get the icy glare of doom from me.

Old 07-26-2021, 08:14 AM

Well putting feet on seats even when the car is empty is still rude...Feet are dirty. Other people will be sitting on those seats.

Old 07-26-2021, 11:35 AM

6,820 posts, read 6,078,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by id77 View Post
I'd say my pet peeve isn't people eating, but people eating smelly things. Munching on a ham sandwich on the train or a plane? Fine by me. Bringing your clambake on board? Gonna get the icy glare of doom from me.
Good point. Does it matter to you what the smell is or just that it's smelly?

Often I'd take the train to get take-out somewhere and bring the food home to eat. Not eating it on the train, but the food may smell from the bag?

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Well putting feet on seats even when the car is empty is still rude...Feet are dirty. Other people will be sitting on those seats.
No different than a park bench in that sense. Would it be rude to put your feet up on one of those?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston