Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2022, 07:39 AM

2,066 posts, read 1,075,976 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
For the fifth time the exam isn’t abolished.
It was for this year and we are already seeing the results, in both the quality of the student body and the number of future students applying. It doesn't matter if the exam is brought back in the future, schools are already ruined and parents who care about their kids are already using other options.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2022, 07:42 AM

21,650 posts, read 12,808,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestieWhitie View Post
It was for this year and we are already seeing the results, in both the quality of the student body and the number of future students applying. It doesn't matter if the exam is brought back in the future, schools are already ruined and parents who care about their kids are already using other options.
Are we.... One kid is hit with a laptop at BLA (not even O'Bryant) and that means were seeing the results of a permanent decline in the quality of our exam schools? Please show many any real evidence of that.

Old 05-19-2022, 08:07 AM

16,430 posts, read 8,242,983 times
It's just crazy that parents are raising kids this day and age in a progressive city like Boston who think it's ok to hit someone over the head with a laptop. This isn't just boys and girls being boys and girls. This is mean spirited, intent to injure, neanderthal like behavior.

If my kid got hit over the head with a laptop I'd be irate. I dont even see this as being the fault of the school, it's the kids who did it. Sounds like the school is trying to be helpful in giving out the laptops. Epic fail.

Old 05-19-2022, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
It's just crazy that parents are raising kids this day and age in a progressive city like Boston who think it's ok to hit someone over the head with a laptop. This isn't just boys and girls being boys and girls. This is mean spirited, intent to injure, neanderthal like behavior.

If my kid got hit over the head with a laptop I'd be irate. I dont even see this as being the fault of the school, it's the kids who did it. Sounds like the school is trying to be helpful in giving out the laptops. Epic fail.
Why do people bring politics into this? What are the unprogressive cities?

Old 05-19-2022, 08:33 AM

2,066 posts, read 1,075,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Why do people bring politics into this? What are the unprogressive cities?
Cities where schools aren't ruined in the name of equitable equity and behavior like this will land one in juvy? Look at Charlotte for example - some schools are good, some are bad depending on the neighborhood. If you buy a house in a good neighborhood your kid goes to a good neighborhood school and won't get bused to a sh*tty school 20 miles away.

Old 05-19-2022, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestieWhitie View Post
Cities where schools aren't ruined in the name of equitable equity and behavior like this will land one in juvy? Look at Charlotte for example - some schools are good, some are bad depending on the neighborhood. If you buy a house in a good neighborhood your kid goes to a good neighborhood school and won't get bused to a sh*tty school 20 miles away.
Charlotte is a suburban school district. It's Mecklenburg County not just the city of Charlotte. That'd be like if Boston Public Schools included Newton, Brookline, Milton, Cambridge etc.

When forced bussing did occur back in Charlotte in the 1970s no one boycotted the school system for years on end students weren shot and killed. Probably helped.

Old 05-19-2022, 08:54 AM

Gun found in Charlestown High at 1015 this morning: https://twitter.com/StacoS

CHARLESTOWN: found gun, inside Charlestown High school, gun now secured, unk if student involved, ID’d or in custody, tons of BPD barreling, Polk St side #1016am

Old 05-19-2022, 09:02 AM

5,118 posts, read 2,680,626 times
This sounds like something that happens all the time in Chucktown, since I can remember.

Old 05-19-2022, 09:13 AM

16,430 posts, read 8,242,983 times
I think politics has a lot to do with it. I didn't realize using the word progressive would have someone jump down my throat about politics either. Progressive doesn't even necessarily equal politics. At the end of the day, Boston has been talking about things like bullying (which is what hitting someone over the head with a lap top is) and violence in schools for a while. Apparently it hasn't sunk in for many students and their parents. People think it's ok to act out in violence towards others at school of all places.

Old 05-19-2022, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I think politics has a lot to do with it. I didn't realize using the word progressive would have someone jump down my throat about politics either. Progressive doesn't even necessarily equal politics. At the end of the day, Boston has been talking about things like bullying (which is what hitting someone over the head with a lap top is) and violence in schools for a while. Apparently it hasn't sunk in for many students and their parents. People think it's ok to act out in violence towards others at school of all places.
It's not 'jumping down your throat'- your comment doesn't make sense to me.

Are there school districts that don't care about bullying? I just fail to see what this has to do with politics. I don't expect people in conservative rural settings to be getting hit with Chromebooks either, do you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston