Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2023, 07:19 AM

16,432 posts, read 8,242,983 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgal123 View Post
I think people in the trades have better job security than most. Has anyone seen what plumbers and electricians are charging these days?! If they are motivated and do good by their clients, I bet they can easily be making 6 figures, no problem.
I know someone who did go to college, had a hard time figuring out what they wanted to do while there and after college, ended up joining IBEW and is doing well today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2023, 07:24 AM

Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post
Less intelligent?
I'm not so sure people memorizing something from a book and recording it at a later date constitutes as intelligence ?
I know several people that went to that very school who are not lacking intelligence and are also millionaires.
I also know a lot of "intelligent" scholars who have 1/4 mil $ debt and are making 80k a year.
Calm down. Most of the people I knew of who went to blue hills tech had issues - they just seemed socially out of it, didn't good grades, or had behavorial issues. Maybe they weren't getting the right kind of help that they needed. Why their parents chose to send them to blue hills tech I dont know. Maybe their parents also knew that they didn't have money to send them to college. Who knows. All I know is that it wasn't where the most likely to succeed type kids went.

Old 03-27-2023, 07:25 AM

Default re

Quote:
It's this very narrative in our society that has chased people away from very noble trades work. being Seen as less than someone who is a cog in a corporate machine. When Covid happened I think a lot of people came to the realization that we could live fairly easily without an investment banker, Insurance salesman etc.. but the need for electricians, plumbers, car mechanics and the sort became apparent very quickly.

We need to stop the ignorance of "less intelligent" people go into the trades. It's a gross stereotype.
I agree with that.

Old 03-27-2023, 08:01 AM

5,955 posts, read 2,884,538 times
Quote:
Less intelligent?
I'm not so sure people memorizing something from a book and recording it at a later date constitutes as intelligence ?
I know several people that went to that very school who are not lacking intelligence and are also millionaires.
I also know a lot of "intelligent" scholars who have 1/4 mil $ debt and are making 80k a year.
White collar also known as 'office worker ' have always ,since button down shirts have looked down on Blue collar workers until he /she is needed .

Old 03-27-2023, 08:02 AM

3,222 posts, read 2,128,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I agree with that.
Quote:
Calm down. Most of the people I knew of who went to blue hills tech had issues - they just seemed socially out of it, didn't good grades, or had behavorial issues. Maybe they weren't getting the right kind of help that they needed. Why their parents chose to send them to blue hills tech I dont know. Maybe their parents also knew that they didn't have money to send them to college. Who knows. All I know is that it wasn't where the most likely to succeed type kids went.
Which one is it?
You agree that the stereotype needs to end right after you make a wild stereotypical assumption about the demographic based on your narrow personal experience. Happy Monday!

Old 03-27-2023, 08:16 AM

23,619 posts, read 18,749,452 times
Come on folks. I realize some vocationals leave a lot to be desired, but Blue Hills was always a respected school.

Old 03-27-2023, 08:24 AM

2,279 posts, read 1,345,057 times
Quote:
why did those ever go away?
So colleges can make much more money.

Old 03-27-2023, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampert View Post
So colleges can make much more money.
Tax free baby! The biggest scam since the catholic church

Old 03-27-2023, 09:35 AM

Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Come on folks. I realize some vocationals leave a lot to be desired, but Blue Hills was always a respected school.
For what trades?

Old 03-27-2023, 10:25 AM

Quote:
For what trades?
https://bluehills.org/tech-programs/...nd-refinishing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston