Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2022, 12:54 PM

5,094 posts, read 2,656,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Remember when I said m*******s have a penchant for arrogance and faux moral higher ground? This is example A.
Why are you singling out just one of your posts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2022, 12:58 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,727,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
Why are you singling out just one of your posts?
Why do you think?

Old 03-30-2022, 01:00 PM

....is 70 indoor restaurants on your block the same as having 70 restaurants with outdoor seating?

Not only are they on sidewalks and parking spots (infrastructure meant for pedestrians and automobiles) they are inviting far more diners than pre-pandemic into the neighborhood with all the extra seating.

Hundreds more people at any given moment.

Old 03-30-2022, 01:09 PM

2,435 posts, read 1,318,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post
Yeah. I hate the water... so I don't move to the beach.
That's all well and good until someone decides to build a lake next to where you live.

The residents there accepted the existing limited parking when they signed up to move in, but suddenly cutting that supply significantly would be understandably frustrating. The neighborhood is small with restaurant density sufficiently high that giving even a quarter of the restaurants precious outdoor space is going to have an impact.

Old 03-30-2022, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by id77 View Post
That's all well and good until someone decides to build a lake next to where you live.

The residents there accepted the existing limited parking when they signed up to move in, but suddenly cutting that supply significantly would be understandably frustrating. .
So rare that we agree on these issues.

Old 03-30-2022, 01:16 PM

16,317 posts, read 8,140,203 times
Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post
how many of them do you know?
there's one who has been very vocal who I have already mentioned that I do know above and I posted a link to one of his homes.

Anyone who thinks any of the north end restaurant owners are struggling needs a reality check. If any of them are struggling it's because they havent managed money correctly.

Old 03-30-2022, 03:12 PM

12,825 posts, read 22,003,919 times
Quote:
The residents there accepted the existing limited parking when they signed up to move in, but suddenly cutting that supply significantly would be understandably frustrating. The neighborhood is small with restaurant density sufficiently high that giving even a quarter of the restaurants precious outdoor space is going to have an impact.
Frustration is one thing, but there's a pretty good deal of what feels like entitlement to street parking in the city. I actually think it's kind of wild that people in a neighborhood like the North End can essentially use city owned/maintained streets as free storage for their personal vehicles. Not only can they do it, but they feel as if they are entitled to do it. You can easily make the case that access to street parking is a necessity in a low/middle income neighborhood without decent transit or pedestrian access to the city's economic and service centers, but the North End is none of those things. It's a centrally located, fairly affluent, historic (pre-car) neighborhood that's essential to the city's service economy.

In the North End, I'd much rather see some of that space (still a relatively small percentage of the overall street parking in the neighborhood) be used to support tax revenue generating businesses. It's better financial return for the city, and that type of activation is benefits more people than just the handful hoping to park for free on the street. Of course, restaurants shouldn't feel entitled to the space either and they should be expected to contribute something (beyond just tax revenue from sales) in order to pay for the privilege of getting that additional square footage (I'm not sure the flat $7500 fee is it). But I'm having a really hard time empathizing with North End residents on this one.

Old 03-30-2022, 04:00 PM

2,435 posts, read 1,318,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Frustration is one thing, but there's a pretty good deal of what feels like entitlement to street parking in the city. I actually think it's kind of wild that people in a neighborhood like the North End can essentially use city owned/maintained streets as free storage for their personal vehicles. Not only can they do it, but they feel as if they are entitled to do it. You can easily make the case that access to street parking is a necessity in a low/middle income neighborhood without decent transit or pedestrian access to the city's economic and service centers, but the North End is none of those things. It's a centrally located, fairly affluent, historic (pre-car) neighborhood that's essential to the city's service economy.

In the North End, I'd much rather see some of that space (still a relatively small percentage of the overall street parking in the neighborhood) be used to support tax revenue generating businesses. It's better financial return for the city, and that type of activation is benefits more people than just the handful hoping to park for free on the street. Of course, restaurants shouldn't feel entitled to the space either and they should be expected to contribute something (beyond just tax revenue from sales) in order to pay for the privilege of getting that additional square footage (I'm not sure the flat $7500 fee is it). But I'm having a really hard time empathizing with North End residents on this one.
Residents (or their landlords, as the case may be) in the North End pay property tax. While one can make a case that nobody (restaurant or resident) is entitled to public space, the fact they do pay local taxes gives them both some say at the table IMO.

The other factor is voting. Restaurants don't vote, but residents do. To dismiss a neighborhood's concerns because they're affluent and/or don't need the space is a bad political move and a good way to tick off that voting bloc.

Revenue efficiency doesn't seem to be Boston's bag. They could jack up both parking meter ($10/hour in Back Bay, anyone?) and ticket fines then get draconian on enforcement. Camp a BTD employee in front of every coffee shop and start slapping orange envelopes on every double parker. It would rake in a ton of money. Yet, they don't.

You're not alone with the empathy. I see the same general take with neighborhood problems in Boston's other affluent neighborhoods, too. It's almost like wealthy people aren't allowed to voice problems because if they do, others just whip out tiny violins.

Old 03-30-2022, 04:09 PM

From what I understand north end residents are already used to sometimes having to use parking garages to park in the summer due to tourists. That's an added expense and if its multiplied due to outdoor dining that's a 'fee' on those residents.

Another thing I don't understand is this.. all sympathy to restaurant owners- none to residents?

Old 03-31-2022, 07:33 AM

12,825 posts, read 22,003,919 times
Quote:
Residents (or their landlords, as the case may be) in the North End pay property tax. While one can make a case that nobody (restaurant or resident) is entitled to public space, the fact they do pay local taxes gives them both some say at the table IMO.

The other factor is voting. Restaurants don't vote, but residents do. To dismiss a neighborhood's concerns because they're affluent and/or don't need the space is a bad political move and a good way to tick off that voting bloc.

Revenue efficiency doesn't seem to be Boston's bag. They could jack up both parking meter ($10/hour in Back Bay, anyone?) and ticket fines then get draconian on enforcement. Camp a BTD employee in front of every coffee shop and start slapping orange envelopes on every double parker. It would rake in a ton of money. Yet, they don't.

You're not alone with the empathy. I see the same general take with neighborhood problems in Boston's other affluent neighborhoods, too. It's almost like wealthy people aren't allowed to voice problems because if they do, others just whip out tiny violins.
They absolutely deserve a say in matters that impact their neighborhood. And you're right about the politics of a debate like this (i.e. voters vs. non-voters). I've always been surprised at just how much money the city leaves on the table with ticketing and enforcement. The double parking is a plague. And around here, there's relatively poor enforcement of the "Resident Permit Parking Only" zones. Sometimes cars with out of state plates sit for days before getting ticketed and sometimes booted/towed. I'm 100% on board with variable meter rates depending on neighborhood/time of day.

I hear what you're saying about the wealthy not being able to voice problems and I agree that the automatic dismissal of anything an affluent person complains about in this city is a problem. To be clear, I'm not outright dismissing any of the complaints. I don't think it's fair to just "gift" restaurants free sidewalk space while eliminating parking. I think concerns about noise from 70+ outdoor patios that didn't exist before many/most residents lived there are extremely valid. Concerns about trash and rodents are very reasonable. It's just the gripe about lost street parking that I have a hard time taking too seriously considering the built environment, proximity to transit and the city center, the abundance of off-street parking nearby and the means of many residents to afford an alternative. I hope that the city can continue the outdoor dining program while mitigating most of those concerns. But I don't think some lost parking spaces on Hanover Street, Salem St. and North Square should be the deal breaker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston