Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2022, 08:31 AM

2,066 posts, read 1,071,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by id77 View Post
Parts of Europe. It's also pretty easy to spend several hundred on dinner for two at a nice restaurant in a city like London, Copenhagen, or Zurich.
Right, but it will be a very nice dinner. In Boston it is very easy to drop $300-400 on a mediocre dinner, or even a bad dinner if you think plate slingers deserve no less than 30% of the bill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2022, 08:44 AM

3,207 posts, read 2,115,788 times
List of restaurants I have enjoyed recently for around $200 a couple

Bar Mezzana
Sportello
Moona
Kava
Ostra
Commitee
Brassica Kitchen
Saltie Girl

Old 06-10-2022, 09:31 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,478,579 times
When i visit Salem, i usually park at the parking garage right at the corner of Derby and Congress St. Less stress, and from there it's a pretty easy walk to a number of areas to eat/shop or see.

Finz is a pretty good place for seafood and located right on the waterfront. https://hipfinz.com/ Sushi apps, drinks and Dinner for my wife and I ran about $150 plus tip last weekend.

There's a number of guided Tours that start from that general location. I would go see the House of Seven Gables over the Witch House. Short walk from the above area.

Friday weather will be good so I imagine Salem will be pretty busy tonight.

Old 06-10-2022, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
3) On the last day of our trip, we are staying in the vicinity of North Cambridge. If going into the city for day and early evening, and leaving back about 8:30 or 9 PM, should we feel relatively safe or comfortable walking back from Davis or Alewife stations in that vicinity? Or, would you recommend an Uber at that time going to there.

Thanks! And, good luck with your NBA Finals series!
Walking back from either of those locations to North Cambridge will be completely fine. If you guys are looking to spend some time in N. Cambridge Gran Gusto is a wonderful Neapolitan restaurant

Old 06-10-2022, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post
List of restaurants I have enjoyed recently for around $200 a couple

Bar Mezzana
Sportello
Moona
Kava
Ostra
Commitee
Brassica Kitchen
Saltie Girl
Ostra is the only nice one and you’d be very hard-pressed to get a decent meal for two with a decent bottle of wine for under $200, the rest are comparable to an average joint in Spain or Portugal where the two of you can eat and drink till you explode, the food will be a lot better and you still won’t break $80. $200 will get you a nice tasting menu with wine pairing, maybe without Michelin stars but way better than anything you can get in the US without selling a kidney.

Old 06-10-2022, 12:12 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,724,563 times
My favorite North End restaurant is Pagliucas. I make it there at least once each time I visit Boston.

Old 06-10-2022, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
My favorite North End restaurant is Pagliucas. I make it there at least once each time I visit Boston.

Molinari’s in Dorchester or Rino’s in Eastie are way better than all the North End tourist traps.

Old 06-10-2022, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestieWhitie View Post
Ostra is the only nice one and you’d be very hard-pressed to get a decent meal for two with a decent bottle of wine for under $200, the rest are comparable to an average joint in Spain or Portugal where the two of you can eat and drink till you explode, the food will be a lot better and you still won’t break $80. $200 will get you a nice tasting menu with wine pairing, maybe without Michelin stars but way better than anything you can get in the US without selling a kidney.
How much is a ticket to Spain or Portugal though

Old 06-11-2022, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post
How much is a ticket to Spain or Portugal though
A lot cheaper than a flight to the west coast.

Old 06-11-2022, 10:46 AM

5,024 posts, read 5,663,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
1) If you’re already going to Assembly tomorrow, you could just hop on the Orange Line for a few stops to North Station (the Garden is literally built over North Station) to experience it during a game day. It shouldn’t be more than a 10 minute ride on the T, and a straight shot. Parking at Assembly is free in the garages for up to 3 hours (and fairly inexpensive after that). That said, I wouldn’t expect a ton of activity until 4, maybe 5pm. There’s a big Celtics logo on the main stairs and some NBA Finals banners flying, but it doesn’t look too out of the ordinary right now. If you’re in the area early enough, you could maybe find some street parking over in the area (Canal, Friend, Merrimac, Portland St. etc - Nashua St. has some spots too), but Assembly and Orange Line is a safer bet. If you find yourself at the Garden, it’s worth the relatively easy walk over to the original Mike’s in the North End. Modern is across the street if you want to sample both. The pastries are good at the Mike’s outposts, but the original location is a better experience.

2) Parking in Salem is pretty easy. The Church Street lot and Museum Place garage are right next to everything downtown. Downtown itself is compact and walkable with plenty to see/do. I can’t weigh in on a lobster roll in Salem (especially reasonably priced - they’re crazy now). But Jamie’s Roast Beef and Treadwell’s Ice Cream are right next to each other and a short distance from downtown (technically Peabody, but only a couple of miles from the center). It’s my favorite North Shore Roast Beef (Super Beef - Three Way is the order) and Treadwell’s is a great ice cream spot. Great way to try a local staple and follow it with dessert.

3) So if you’re thinking of parking and taking the Red Line in, Alewife is the only real option up that way. It has a massive garage above it and you shouldn’t have any trouble that time of night walking from the platform to your car. Davis is safe too, but there’s not really any parking around it. If an Uber is cheap enough, it might save you a few minutes, however.
I literally can’t rep you enough for all this info!

We ended up just going around Assembly Row because with our daughter especially, wanted to avoid complicated logistics. Cool seeing Celtics stuff everywhere in the area of late, though.

In Salem, we didn’t, but we ended up eating a lobster roll waterside yesterday in Portsmouth. Bonus day of exploring I did not think I would get. It was delicious and a great setting, not cheap, but worth a splurge. I’ll have to take you up on that roast beef recommendation if not this trip, another time.

So, we actually aren’t parking per se that day, we are staying overnight in that neighborhood of Cambridge kinda between Alewife and Davis. Maybe a 10-15 minute walk from either one.

Again, thank you so much! Heading towards Burlington for a couple nights starting tomorrow, and then our last full day of the trip will be in Boston city. Hoping to see MIT which a family member of mine attended, for the first time (already seen Harvard), and hopefully see some of the Copley Square/Back Bay Area of Boston in the day before the game starts. Any good food picks in that area or adjacent to the park that would also be a good value?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston