Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2022, 03:59 PM

5,024 posts, read 5,667,412 times

Advertisements

Hello! Visiting your fine city throughout the next week, and, just a few questions:

1) Regarding Mike's Pastry, which is one of the primary foodie stops we want to make: Leaning toward just getting it from the Assembly Row location, I like that it is relatively more suburban from a standpoint of "ease of access", parking cost, etc. JP Lick's is there, too, which because my wife enjoys that, is another plus. However. I know Game 3 of The Finals is tomorrow night, also, and there's a location immediately attached/outside of TD Garden. Is there somewhere you could park for like $3 or less for a half hour or so in the vicinity of the arena during the day, to just get the experience of being down at the arena on gameday real quick? Or, is that foolish, and we should just stick to Assembly Row and visiting the arena another day.

2) On the foodie subject again, considering visiting Salem en route to our final destination, a place we are staying at for a wedding over the next few days. Looks like a pretty cool town. Recommended parking spot here? Also, is there a place you could recommend, perhaps particularly along the waterfront like a good stand to just order it from or carryout somewhere, that would be a fairly priced lobster roll in the vicinity of the Salem downtown/waterfront? Also, considering visiting the Witch House, is it worth it?

3) On the last day of our trip, we are staying in the vicinity of North Cambridge. If going into the city for day and early evening, and leaving back about 8:30 or 9 PM, should we feel relatively safe or comfortable walking back from Davis or Alewife stations in that vicinity? Or, would you recommend an Uber at that time going to there.

Thanks! And, good luck with your NBA Finals series!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2022, 09:21 PM

12,820 posts, read 22,009,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
Hello! Visiting your fine city throughout the next week, and, just a few questions:

1) Regarding Mike's Pastry, which is one of the primary foodie stops we want to make: Leaning toward just getting it from the Assembly Row location, I like that it is relatively more suburban from a standpoint of "ease of access", parking cost, etc. JP Lick's is there, too, which because my wife enjoys that, is another plus. However. I know Game 3 of The Finals is tomorrow night, also, and there's a location immediately attached/outside of TD Garden. Is there somewhere you could park for like $3 or less for a half hour or so in the vicinity of the arena during the day, to just get the experience of being down at the arena on gameday real quick? Or, is that foolish, and we should just stick to Assembly Row and visiting the arena another day.

2) On the foodie subject again, considering visiting Salem en route to our final destination, a place we are staying at for a wedding over the next few days. Looks like a pretty cool town. Recommended parking spot here? Also, is there a place you could recommend, perhaps particularly along the waterfront like a good stand to just order it from or carryout somewhere, that would be a fairly priced lobster roll in the vicinity of the Salem downtown/waterfront? Also, considering visiting the Witch House, is it worth it?

3) On the last day of our trip, we are staying in the vicinity of North Cambridge. If going into the city for day and early evening, and leaving back about 8:30 or 9 PM, should we feel relatively safe or comfortable walking back from Davis or Alewife stations in that vicinity? Or, would you recommend an Uber at that time going to there.

1) If you’re already going to Assembly tomorrow, you could just hop on the Orange Line for a few stops to North Station (the Garden is literally built over North Station) to experience it during a game day. It shouldn’t be more than a 10 minute ride on the T, and a straight shot. Parking at Assembly is free in the garages for up to 3 hours (and fairly inexpensive after that). That said, I wouldn’t expect a ton of activity until 4, maybe 5pm. There’s a big Celtics logo on the main stairs and some NBA Finals banners flying, but it doesn’t look too out of the ordinary right now. If you’re in the area early enough, you could maybe find some street parking over in the area (Canal, Friend, Merrimac, Portland St. etc - Nashua St. has some spots too), but Assembly and Orange Line is a safer bet. If you find yourself at the Garden, it’s worth the relatively easy walk over to the original Mike’s in the North End. Modern is across the street if you want to sample both. The pastries are good at the Mike’s outposts, but the original location is a better experience.

2) Parking in Salem is pretty easy. The Church Street lot and Museum Place garage are right next to everything downtown. Downtown itself is compact and walkable with plenty to see/do. I can’t weigh in on a lobster roll in Salem (especially reasonably priced - they’re crazy now). But Jamie’s Roast Beef and Treadwell’s Ice Cream are right next to each other and a short distance from downtown (technically Peabody, but only a couple of miles from the center). It’s my favorite North Shore Roast Beef (Super Beef - Three Way is the order) and Treadwell’s is a great ice cream spot. Great way to try a local staple and follow it with dessert.

3) So if you’re thinking of parking and taking the Red Line in, Alewife is the only real option up that way. It has a massive garage above it and you shouldn’t have any trouble that time of night walking from the platform to your car. Davis is safe too, but there’s not really any parking around it. If an Uber is cheap enough, it might save you a few minutes, however.

Old 06-08-2022, 07:10 AM

8,543 posts, read 14,018,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
1) If you’re already going to Assembly tomorrow, you could just hop on the Orange Line for a few stops to North Station (the Garden is literally built over North Station) to experience it during a game day. It shouldn’t be more than a 10 minute ride on the T, and a straight shot. Parking at Assembly is free in the garages for up to 3 hours (and fairly inexpensive after that). That said, I wouldn’t expect a ton of activity until 4, maybe 5pm. There’s a big Celtics logo on the main stairs and some NBA Finals banners flying, but it doesn’t look too out of the ordinary right now. If you’re in the area early enough, you could maybe find some street parking over in the area (Canal, Friend, Merrimac, Portland St. etc - Nashua St. has some spots too), but Assembly and Orange Line is a safer bet. If you find yourself at the Garden, it’s worth the relatively easy walk over to the original Mike’s in the North End. Modern is across the street if you want to sample both. The pastries are good at the Mike’s outposts, but the original location is a better experience.
I got some pastries last Friday at the Mikes in Harvard Square. They tasted exactly the same as any that I've had at the North End location so 110% agree with what Irfox is saying . . . if the pastries are what you're after then it doesn't matter what location you go to. The original location is a bit of a different experience though. Personally, I'd be happy to go to the Harvard Square location. There are lots of great restaurants in the area and it's fun to walk over there for dessert.

On the subject of Mike's cannolis are great but the real gem there is a pastry called a lobster tail. It kind of looks like a giant croissant and it has a filling that's like a cannoli's but lighter and a little more creamy and less cheesy tasting.

Old 06-08-2022, 07:59 AM

5,096 posts, read 2,658,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post

There are better North End bakery options than Mike's in my opinion. Mike's is the favorite of tourists and probably most well known, but I prefer Modern and Bova's. Much better cannolis can be found at Bova's. Parziale's is also good but off the beaten path. There are others as well.

Old 06-09-2022, 02:13 PM

22 posts, read 28,666 times
If you can only see one site in Salem, I think that the House of Seven Gables is better than the Witch House.

Old 06-09-2022, 03:29 PM

700 posts, read 446,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivyleaguediver View Post
If you can only see one site in Salem, I think that the House of Seven Gables is better than the Witch House.
Yes!

Old 06-10-2022, 04:18 AM

2,066 posts, read 1,071,348 times
Boston is not a great place for a foodie, most of the restaurants are quite bad and insanely overpriced. Go to any of the nicer restaurants, order a few things a decent bottle of wine, add tax, tip and whichever equity fee that gets tacked on and next thing you know you've paid more than you would at a Michelin-starred restaurant in Europe.

Old 06-10-2022, 05:36 AM

3,207 posts, read 2,118,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestieWhitie View Post
Boston is not a great place for a foodie, most of the restaurants are quite bad and insanely overpriced. Go to any of the nicer restaurants, order a few things a decent bottle of wine, add tax, tip and whichever equity fee that gets tacked on and next thing you know you've paid more than you would at a Michelin-starred restaurant in Europe.
There are some great restaurants in Boston. They will never be as cheap as Europe.
Happy Friday

Old 06-10-2022, 07:48 AM

2,435 posts, read 1,319,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestieWhitie View Post
Parts of Europe. It's also pretty easy to spend several hundred on dinner for two at a nice restaurant in a city like London, Copenhagen, or Zurich.

Old 06-10-2022, 08:00 AM

23,540 posts, read 18,687,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
There are better North End bakery options than Mike's in my opinion. Mike's is the favorite of tourists and probably most well known, but I prefer Modern and Bova's. Much better cannolis can be found at Bova's. Parziale's is also good but off the beaten path. There are others as well.

100%. Although, I can't blame a one time visitor who just needs to check Mike's off their list once and for all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston