Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2022, 12:33 PM

3,584 posts, read 1,816,957 times

Advertisements

So true! https://whdh.com/news/study-reveals-...-to-residents/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2022, 03:00 PM

6,121 posts, read 5,084,587 times
Only 5th?

Old 08-29-2022, 03:16 PM

1,201 posts, read 2,668,197 times
I love it ... two Texas cities as the most "polite." Polite, that is, until you disagree with them on any right-wing view of an issue. Then "politeness" becomes very provisional. I just love these stupid surveys.

Old 08-29-2022, 03:52 PM

12,365 posts, read 9,473,336 times
Yeah, I don't know - I have run across some pretty serious instant hostility more than once in the south, both verbal and physical, that was like some kind of scene out of an old movie. I've also known people from Mississippi and Alabama that knew me personally and were very gracious and polite, but the average southerner, right on coming into contact with the random northerner, seems to be anything but polite - it made me just want to avoid them entirely, this chip they're carrying on their collective shoulders.

Old 08-29-2022, 04:04 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,543,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgal123 View Post
I normally have no interest in responding to posts that rely on a url to make a point. It seem lazy and assumes that the reader will have the same response to whatever is there as the poster. This one, however, caught me up.

I spent a couple of days visiting Boston, and I found the people very friendly and welcoming.

I know that visitors often are the cause of their own disgruntlement in their reception in a foreign territory, either because they've expected the place to be what they are familiar with, or they've offended the natives. For example, DH and I spent a few weeks in France, touring from Paris around the south, and back to Paris. We never once met a rude person, but we did see many ugly Americans.

One gets what they give in life.

Old 08-29-2022, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
I normally have no interest in responding to posts that rely on a url to make a point. It seem lazy and assumes that the reader will have the same response to whatever is there as the poster. This one, however, caught me up.

I spent a couple of days visiting Boston, and I found the people very friendly and welcoming.

I know that visitors often are the cause of their own disgruntlement in their reception in a foreign territory, either because they've expected the place to be what they are familiar with, or they've offended the natives. For example, DH and I spent a few weeks in France, touring from Paris around the south, and back to Paris. We never once met a rude person, but we did see many ugly Americans.

One gets what they give in life.
This is a survey according to the city's residents (if you read) and is not based on a tourist's perception. Residents live here and can attest to the daily road rage incidents that have become far too commonplace, the many who do not bother slowing down for pedestrians, not acknowledging/making eye contact with the stranger you're walking by. I'd say it is pretty spot on based on what I observe.

Old 08-29-2022, 05:27 PM

not slowing down for pedestrians, case in point....this was likely totally preventable (as I know someone will be quick to say we don't know the details and perhaps the man walked in front of the car) but come on, if you are driving in a parking lot at appropriate parking lot speeds (5-15 mph) and not being an ignorant yahoo there is no excuse for hitting another human being with a vehicle.

https://www.wcvb.com/article/deadly-...g-lot/41022676

Old 08-29-2022, 06:05 PM

12,365 posts, read 9,473,336 times
So if you take a look at this GIS visualization of the homicide rate by state, or browse the accompanying table, you may recognize that there is something of a geographical trend there, and while Mass is a little more than 2 per 100,000, many of the southern states are 8-12 per 100,00 range, i.e. about 5x higher.

Maybe the southerners are polite about it - "Pardon me sir, while I crush your skull with this brick", or "Excuse me maam, while I shoot you full of holes"?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._homicide_rate

I see people here trying to say that Massachusetts (or Boston) has the worst people in the country from time to time. I don't subscribe to this theory. Sure we have some bad people, but so does any state.

Old 08-29-2022, 06:29 PM

1,037 posts, read 678,658 times
In my visit back to Mass last month I notice the following:

1. People in the suburbs were overall pretty friendly. I had more random conversations with people in the supermarket and other public places than I'd had in years. I thini part of that is because I had a cute little baby in tow with me most of the time.

2. In Boston, people weren't friendly or unfriendly. Certainly, I didn't get the same type of friendly banter I might have gotten in the suburbs, but then again, people didn't seem to go out of their way to be rude. It's a big, busy city so I didn't expect to see people smiling and saying "hello" whereever I went.

Old 08-29-2022, 06:32 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
Do the southerners think THEY are polite? They are some of the rudest people I've ever met, as soon as they know you're from the North. I'd gladly take a notherner who doesn't greet me as a stranger on the street than most of the southerners I've met.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston