Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2022, 12:55 AM

1 posts, read 851 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I am relocating to Boston to start a new job in January and am looking for rentals.This is the first time I will be living in Boston although I have lived in New Bedford for 8 years before moving out of MA (and am now moving back in). One of the rentals I am considering is in 9 Whittier and has a minimum annual salary requirement ($82K), which I satisfy. The complex 9 Whittier is an affordable housing redevelopment, including mixed-income rentals.

1. That complex is in the Roxbury area. How safe is Roxbury? I plan on using the subway extensively and anticipate walking home late at night.

2. The job is paying me ~$145k. Should I just look elsewhere and avoid the Roxbury area entirely?

Thanks for your inputs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2022, 05:45 AM

5,094 posts, read 2,656,710 times
They are developing that area but it's still in the middle of the hood. Seems to have quieted down a little over last five years or so, but the area was once home to some of the most notorious housing projects in the city and there are still remnants of them. Orange line is about 3/4 mile walk. Boston Police HQ is nearby but I don't think it makes that area particularly more attractive. Whittier Health Center has some social services programs going on there, including homeless programs. Northeastern U has facilities nearby but no student housing on that side of Tremont that I know of. If you were a little further up into the Fort Hill area it might be a different story but not this area.
On a 145K income I wouldn't choose to live there right now, especially given the city's latest crime trends and the fact that you don't know the area. I know those shiny new buildings probably attract people but they wouldn't attract me.

Old 11-13-2022, 07:40 AM

2,501 posts, read 4,432,989 times
Are you street smart?
Are you used to city living?
Know how to handle yourself?

This is not a place to be walking around with earbuds in, staring down at your phone. There's also nothing around to walk to, except the ruggles subway stop. But other more hip areas will be more expensive.

Old 11-13-2022, 08:00 AM

2,066 posts, read 1,071,035 times
I would not, especially with that kind of salary. You’ll be right next to several public housing developments chock-full of all sorts of dawgz, slingaz, killaz and gunnaz and your own development is in fact just a rebuilt housing project where suckers like you pay $3K/month while all the former residents who made Roxbury into Gloxbury are still there, right down the hall from you, paying absolutely nothing.

Old 11-13-2022, 09:43 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,727,444 times
I would not-for the reasons BGJ said.

Fort Hill or Mission Hill would be better choices. That part of Lower Roxbury is not desirable.

Old 11-15-2022, 09:51 AM

13 posts, read 10,394 times
Roxbury is great. A lot of racists on this board who haven't visited the area in 30 years. Bought a place in Roxbury year and a half ago. Area improving rapidly, will probably be the next IT place to live in Boston in 5-10 years.

If you don't hang out with the wrong crowd and do things that are illegal people will leave you alone. We have felt more welcome here than when we lived downtown

Old 11-15-2022, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
They are developing that area but it's still in the middle of the hood. Seems to have quieted down a little over last five years or so, but the area was once home to some of the most notorious housing projects in the city and there are still remnants of them. Orange line is about 3/4 mile walk. Boston Police HQ is nearby but I don't think it makes that area particularly more attractive. Whittier Health Center has some social services programs going on there, including homeless programs. Northeastern U has facilities nearby but no student housing on that side of Tremont that I know of. If you were a little further up into the Fort Hill area it might be a different story but not this area.
On a 145K income I wouldn't choose to live there right now, especially given the city's latest crime trends and the fact that you don't know the area. I know those shiny new buildings probably attract people but they wouldn't attract me.

Most of the people moving into Roxbury make well over 145k income. Everyone I know that has moved here recently does. Mostly people who are priced out of $2-$3 mil condos in South End but want to live near South End. People that are buying condos in 600-800k range are shopping here.

Last edited by Tex3650; 11-15-2022 at 10:16 AM..

Old 11-15-2022, 10:03 AM

16,317 posts, read 8,140,203 times
Wow places have salary requirements when it comes to renting? Dang. I didn't know that.

You can live lots of places with a 145k salary. You might like some of the nicer parts of Dorchester also

Old 11-15-2022, 11:31 AM

5,094 posts, read 2,656,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex3650 View Post
Most of the people moving into Roxbury make well over 145k income. Everyone I know that has moved here recently does. Mostly people who are priced out of $2-$3 mil condos in South End but want to live near South End. People that are buying condos in 600-800k range are shopping here.
I doubt the the bulk of them are moving to THAT particular corner of Roxbury and to THAT particular building. Either way, I stand by the facts and personal opinions I expressed.

Old 11-15-2022, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
I doubt the the bulk of them are moving to THAT particular corner of Roxbury and to THAT particular building. Either way, I stand by the facts and personal opinions I expressed.

Speaking to Roxbury as a whole, not a specific area. Can't say on that building.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston