Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2023, 05:43 AM

3,207 posts, read 2,116,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Just seeing this now. Didn't even realize they closed? Open yet?
Sadly, No? it looked like they were building a while ago, but I haven't seen or heard any movement in a long time. It would be great because now that BK's sold their liquor license and is closing, Roslindale is left with few options. Something tells me that maybe they also got offered some crazy Seaport price for their license as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2023, 10:12 AM

1,853 posts, read 1,954,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by porterhouse View Post
Brooks Brothers was Brooks Brothers in name only over the past decade. They turned into a mass market and e-commerce company, with price to quality ratio to match. In reality, Brooks Brothers has been gone for quite some time.

and it's been replaced with the $7 designer cookies of Levian bakery (the next fad to die out)
The bold part is very true and I agree. However, it was always nice to know that a menswear store was close by in case one needed a tie or crisp white shirt.

My office is in the Back Bay and I have had instances where I accidentally spilled coffee or had pasta sauce stains post lunch and BB really saved me there.

Old 07-11-2023, 01:26 PM

12,825 posts, read 22,003,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
The bold part is very true and I agree. However, it was always nice to know that a menswear store was close by in case one needed a tie or crisp white shirt.

My office is in the Back Bay and I have had instances where I accidentally spilled coffee or had pasta sauce stains post lunch and BB really saved me there.
Certainly not the same caliber as BB, but I'm a pretty big fan of Uniqlo's non-iron white shirts (they've got a storefront on Newbury). They're cheap and they stay crisp wash after wash. I probably have 6 or 7 in my closet and one in my office for emergencies. For $40, you can't really go wrong.

Old 07-13-2023, 07:30 AM

1,853 posts, read 1,954,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Certainly not the same caliber as BB, but I'm a pretty big fan of Uniqlo's non-iron white shirts (they've got a storefront on Newbury). They're cheap and they stay crisp wash after wash. I probably have 6 or 7 in my closet and one in my office for emergencies. For $40, you can't really go wrong.
+1 from me.

Great tip, thank you for sharing. I have a tendency to wear white shirts and having a reliable standby (particularly for $40) you can't really really go wrong.

Old 11-18-2023, 06:33 AM

5,094 posts, read 2,656,710 times
Amongst all the closings, something is reopening; China Pearl.

https://www.boston.com/food/restaura...n-this-winter/

Old 11-20-2023, 01:57 AM

2,944 posts, read 5,185,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
Amongst all the closings, something is reopening; China Pearl.

https://www.boston.com/food/restaura...n-this-winter/
Great!

Hmmm...hadn't there been some rumblings last year that the old Jacob Wirth German spot on Stuart Street would be redeveloped into another restaurant soon? Or was it that Jacob Wirth itself might reopen? Can't recall.

What an eyesore whenever I pass by. Graffiti all over the exterior for years now. Nothing seems to be happening with the spot.

Wasn't it the oldest continuously operating restaurant in Boston at the time?

I passed the former Pour House last week on Boylston Street. Didn't we hear almost two years ago about its possible reopening, maybe with a different owner? Well, now the sign above is suddenly missing, just the frame remains and the windows have light brown paper covering them; I don't recall the windows being papered over until recently?

I noticed Dunkin' closed on Commonwealth inbound at Babcock near B.U. It's now a Fuel America coffeehouse, one of a few in the area (I think).

I guess it closed awhile ago, but I never noticed.

The former City Sports Boston finally has some scaffolding covering the entrance. It's been an eyesore with graffiti and clusters of pasted and torn jumbo advertising posters for years. I can't recall when it closed. No indication what's replacing City Sports, but it's good to see some action there finally. What an ugly facade for B.U. students to stroll by for years.

Old 11-22-2023, 12:41 PM

5,094 posts, read 2,656,710 times
I didn't realize that Boston Market was still hanging on because all of the locations I recall have been closed. Apparently they have still been operating. But, based on the plethora of closings in November for unpaid rent, it looks like the end is near.

https://bostonrestaurants.blogspot.c...d-waltham.html

https://www.wfsb.com/2023/11/20/boston-markets-close-face-legal-troubles-across-connecticut/

Old 01-05-2024, 12:00 PM

16,317 posts, read 8,140,203 times
Looks like Barbara Lynch is closing 3 restaurants:

https://www.boston.com/food/restaura...n=bdc:push:web

Old 01-05-2024, 03:46 PM

2,944 posts, read 5,185,254 times
What a blow to the local scene. I think.

Yes, it seems she has had bad publicity in recent years: I think she had a drunk driving incident, and then the recently reported mistreatment of employees, possibly while drunk at work.

But she's a local Southie girl, from the projects I think, so even more impressive she could create this empire in such a competitive business.

Seems the landlords according to the story were supposedly being greedy after all her years there, thinking they could now command "Seaport" rents for a street that's not quite in the Seaport. Or maybe there are other undisclosed reasons she's closing these spots.

Seems only big national restaurant groups may be the only ones to now fill the void on that Congress Street block from what I think she seems to imply, that it's a different Boston business climate now than when she started her ventures.

I hope anybody who bought Christmas gift cards can use them at her other restaurants.

Old 01-05-2024, 04:03 PM

16,317 posts, read 8,140,203 times
yeah I've heard she's tough and maybe has a drinking problem..but it's a pretty cool story to come from the southie projects and open restaurants like No. 9 park in Beacon hill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston