Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2022, 12:41 AM

836 posts, read 851,866 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
You need to understand the political and cultural history of this state as it relates to the MBTA, to fully appreciate all the issues in play here. You do not. You have an academic understanding of some of the transit issues. I think some people have tried to communicate that but it seems to go in one ear and out the other.
I'll take that I guess Boston deserves the transit it has right now then. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2022, 07:14 AM

5,094 posts, read 2,656,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer34 View Post
I'll take that I guess Boston deserves the transit it has right now then. Thank you!
According to you, it's all great. But, in usual fashion you will take things however you want to take them because you seemingly have all the answers regarding a state you know nothing about.

Old 12-30-2022, 09:09 AM

23,571 posts, read 18,672,702 times
Quote:
You're right about managing what you currently have, but I also feel that it has very little to do with expansion and more to do with the MBTA's upkeep and maintenance. You've had ties and rail that haven't been changed not just for a years, but even decades and that's just the problem with the MBTA's maintenance division and it doesn't need to be investigated because one wrong step, and you could've had a major accident which would've costed not just a lot of money, but people's lives.

The "wide-eyed fantasies" were actually realities at one time, when people had to take the trolleys to Kenmore, Back Bay, and Downtown before the automobile slowly, but surely, replaced the Arborway and Watertown lines. I kinda believe that the T doesn't want to be a better system, and it's not the system that's the problem, but the people who are running the T and the people who maintain and repair the system that needs to be checked. They also needs to be terminations for the people responsible for the delayed maintenance. Another problem seems to be an entrenched culture of not doing the maintenance but checking it as complete, anyways, which is why the T system is in the condition it's in!

"Dad sorry I wrecked your Corvette, but if you get me a Ferrari I'll be a lot more careful!"

Old 12-30-2022, 09:20 AM

23,571 posts, read 18,672,702 times
Quote:
I'll take that I guess Boston deserves the transit it has right now then.

Probably the first thing you have been right about so far. Although I would go a step further, and say that what's left of our transit system is owed to our forefathers that had abilities light years ahead of our current crop of leaders. We have squandered our inheritance like a bunch of druggy unemployed trust fund brats, to which NO we probably don't deserve what was handed down to us.

Old 12-30-2022, 03:05 PM

Quote:
According to you, it's all great. But, in usual fashion you will take things however you want to take them because you seemingly have all the answers regarding a state you know nothing about.
I don't claim to have all the right answers, but what I was trying to look for are solutions to a growing problem which is a declining infrastructure. It's great Boston has the Big Dig, but what has been done to improve mass transit in Boston? You would figure that the Orange Line shutdown would've been a major catalyst to not just improving transit, but to build another subway line in the near future, but I guess the Bostonians in this forum want the same damn thing, which is subpar transit.

OK, let's forget the Fairmount Line, lets forget Arborway and Watertown, and let's forget about Lynn, let's forget the North-South Rail Link and keep the T the same way for 100+ years. I'll listen to the natives this time and if another shutdown on not just the Orange line, but the rest of the remaining system happens again, then I don't want people here saying that we need to improve (meaning expand, maintain, repair and clean) the T. You're the natives and I'll take your advice with a grain of salt, OK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Probably the first thing you have been right about so far. Although I would go a step further, and say that what's left of our transit system is owed to our forefathers that had abilities light years ahead of our current crop of leaders. We have squandered our inheritance like a bunch of druggy unemployed trust fund brats, to which NO we probably don't deserve what was handed down to us.
Maybe I'm doing too much to care about a city I don't really have any ties in. Once again, albeit Boston looks better than my old city of Philadelphia (at least on paper), it has the same inferiority complex when it comes to mass transit. As somebody who's lived in Philadelphia for 20+ years, when it comes to mass transit, the grass isn't always greener, take my word for it!

Old 12-30-2022, 03:46 PM

Quote:
I don't claim to have all the right answers, but what I was trying to look for are solutions to a growing problem which is a declining infrastructure. It's great Boston has the Big Dig, but what has been done to improve mass transit in Boston? You would figure that the Orange Line shutdown would've been a major catalyst to not just improving transit, but to build another subway line in the near future, but I guess the Bostonians in this forum want the same damn thing, which is subpar transit.

OK, let's forget the Fairmount Line, lets forget Arborway and Watertown, and let's forget about Lynn, let's forget the North-South Rail Link and keep the T the same way for 100+ years. I'll listen to the natives this time and if another shutdown on not just the Orange line, but the rest of the remaining system happens again, then I don't want people here saying that we need to improve (meaning expand, maintain, repair and clean) the T. You're the natives and I'll take your advice with a grain of salt, OK!

Maybe I'm doing too much to care about a city I don't really have any ties in. Once again, albeit Boston looks better than my old city of Philadelphia (at least on paper), it has the same inferiority complex when it comes to mass transit. As somebody who's lived in Philadelphia for 20+ years, when it comes to mass transit, the grass isn't always greener, take my word for it!
The Bostonians on this forum who are transit geeks have been trying to tell you why some of your proposals are not viable or realistic. In return, you just double down on your rhetoric. Rhetoric which is not supported by even a superficial understanding of the context of the physical, cultural, or political environment in which your lofty ideas are to be applied. You seem to fancy yourself the transit "knight in shining armor" riding your white horse into the Boston forum to save us all from ourselves. Save for some occasional political drama, this is a place where people share ideas, news, knowledge, and sometimes learn from each other. I learn a lot from some of these posts. Unfortunately, when you know everything you don't learn anything and this approach just makes you sound preachy and condescending.

We just elected a new Governor. I'd suggest you forward your ideas and resume to the transition team and see how that goes. Then you can be in charge and actually be responsible for implementing your ideas. Let us know what happens. Don't forget to tell them they just don't care about good transit if they say thanks, but no thanks.

Old 12-30-2022, 09:37 PM

Quote:
The Bostonians on this forum who are transit geeks have been trying to tell you why some of your proposals are not viable or realistic. In return, you just double down on your rhetoric. Rhetoric which is not supported by even a superficial understanding of the context of the physical, cultural, or political environment in which your lofty ideas are to be applied. You seem to fancy yourself the transit "knight in shining armor" riding your white horse into the Boston forum to save us all from ourselves. Save for some occasional political drama, this is a place where people share ideas, news, knowledge, and sometimes learn from each other. I learn a lot from some of these posts. Unfortunately, when you know everything you don't learn anything and this approach just makes you sound preachy and condescending.

We just elected a new Governor. I'd suggest you forward your ideas and resume to the transition team and see how that goes. Then you can be in charge and actually be responsible for implementing your ideas. Let us know what happens. Don't forget to tell them they just don't care about good transit if they say thanks, but no thanks.
I didn't come here as a "transit expert" or a "white knight in shining armor". I came here as an outsider who thought that maybe some of those expansion plans should be rehashed on the T since the Orange Line, and possibly the Red Line starts to shutdown again.

Let's see what else can come about. With the type of attitudes on here for "new ideas", I wouldn't be surprised that Boston doesn't expand for the rest of our lives until the 22nd century, and maybe that's the best plan for the MBTA: no new lines. I may be reaching, but once again, that's what Boston wants, and I'm not Boston.

Old 12-31-2022, 05:36 AM

Quote:
I didn't come here as a "transit expert" or a "white knight in shining armor". I came here as an outsider who thought that maybe some of those expansion plans should be rehashed on the T since the Orange Line, and possibly the Red Line starts to shutdown again.

Let's see what else can come about. With the type of attitudes on here for "new ideas", I wouldn't be surprised that Boston doesn't expand for the rest of our lives until the 22nd century, and maybe that's the best plan for the MBTA: no new lines. I may be reaching, but once again, that's what Boston wants, and I'm not Boston.
Not only is this forum not where any decisions are made and doesn't fully represent Massachusetts, despite your alleged good intentions you don't play well with others. You don't have all the answers and seem to have issues working with information that runs contrary to your grand plans, instead lashing out at people who know more about certain issues than do you. In short, any "attitudes" here seem to belong to you. You don't take your ball and go home, you just take your ball and tell everybody in a state they deserve poor transit if they disagree with any of your proposals. Quite childish, actually.

Old 12-31-2022, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Not only is this forum not where any decisions are made and doesn't fully represent Massachusetts, despite your alleged good intentions you don't play well with others. You don't have all the answers and seem to have issues working with information that runs contrary to your grand plans, instead lashing out at people who know more about certain issues than do you. In short, any "attitudes" here seem to belong to you. You don't take your ball and go home, you just take your ball and tell everybody in a state they deserve poor transit if they disagree with any of your proposals. Quite childish, actually.
I've already given up on helping in the last post and you just continue to bash. Maybe you shouldn't help those that don't want the help & maybe Boston does deserve the subpar transit you guys hate. The end!

Old 12-31-2022, 09:01 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,727,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highlander617 View Post
Should the south side of the orange line be extended from Forrest Hills to Norwood?
No just to Dedham mall or Wolcott Square. Or both-a Wolcott and Dedham branch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston