Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2023, 02:55 PM

5,100 posts, read 2,661,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bread&Roses View Post
That's not an accusation, it's just an observation of what I perceived you to be doing.

I didn't take it as an accusation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2023, 02:59 PM

11 posts, read 6,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
I didn't take it as an accusation.
I did not say you did take it as one.

Old 06-11-2023, 02:59 PM

Quote:
I did not say you did take it as one.
Well that's such a relief.

Old 06-11-2023, 03:08 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,766,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
I made a comment. There's nothing in that comment about how you react to homeless people on the streets of Boston. The notion that someone would refrain from living in a city solely because homeless persons might "approach" them and ask for change is ridiculous to me. That's my opinion.

This is a discussion board. If you only want replies that you like or agree with, don't post.
Sorry bro, but I'm agreeing with Bread & Roses on this one. I do not find it ridiculous at all. It can very well be make or break when choosing a neighborhood to live in. Homelessness is a serious matter and no one ever wants to look down on someone being homeless or wish that anyone would end up homeless. Having said that, while there are many homeless people who are absolutely harmless and in fact hard to tell that they're homeless, there are an equal number that are mentally unfit to be near anyone. I don't know about you but I grew up in Boston and remember a time (the 80's/early 90's) when scores of homeless drunks and drug addicts slept on the streets of Boston's Chinatown. They drank, puked, and urinated all over the sidewalks and in front of doorsteps causing a stinky mess. Storekeepers constantly had to rouse and chase away those drunks sleeping on their doorsteps, sometimes the storekeepers even had to clean up after them, families with children had to walk past these slovenly individuals to shop for groceries; I was one such child myself. At least twice, I witnessed a drunk open up his zipper and relieve himself in broad daylight, and both times in front of women and children. The residents of Chinatown put up with it only for so long because many had nowhere else to go but if they had the means to, they'd move in a jiffy and many did. You can ask why don't the residents and shopkeepers take a more humane approach and tolerate individuals who are less fortunate than them? They'd probably respond with "why should it be our problem when we're the hardworking and sane individuals just trying to live and work here, why should our neighborhood be tagged with homeless, something we didn't bring upon ourselves?" Have you ever visited Portland, Oregon? Do you know what happened to Portland's Chinatown? Practically ran out of business to the point of non-existence because of too many mentally insane homeless people congregating there, scaring patrons away and stinking up the neighborhood with bodily fluids. The business owners and residents were all fed up and moved away and to tell you the truth, I would too if I were in that position. I would not ever want to see any neighborhood like that again. Someone like the O.P. is likely looking for a comfortable and clean place where no panhandler would approach asking for money, no drunk would be caught sleeping in front of your door, and the smell of human urine and faeces doesn't permeate the air. You might be okay with living in such a place but not everyone desires to, all right.

Old 06-11-2023, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
Sorry bro, but I'm agreeing with Bread & Roses on this one. I do not find it ridiculous at all. It can very well be make or break when choosing a neighborhood to live in. Homelessness is a serious matter and no one ever wants to look down on someone being homeless or wish that anyone would end up homeless. Having said that, while there are many homeless people who are absolutely harmless and in fact hard to tell that they're homeless, there are an equal number that are mentally unfit to be near anyone. I don't know about you but I grew up in Boston and remember a time (the 80's/early 90's) when scores of homeless drunks and drug addicts slept on the streets of Boston's Chinatown. They drank, puked, and urinated all over the sidewalks and in front of doorsteps causing a stinky mess. Storekeepers constantly had to rouse and chase away those drunks sleeping on their doorsteps, sometimes the storekeepers even had to clean up after them, families with children had to walk past these slovenly individuals to shop for groceries; I was one such child myself. At least twice, I witnessed a drunk open up his zipper and relieve himself in broad daylight, and both times in front of women and children. The residents of Chinatown put up with it only for so long because many had nowhere else to go but if they had the means to, they'd move in a jiffy and many did. You can ask why don't the residents and shopkeepers take a more humane approach and tolerate individuals who are less fortunate than them? They'd probably respond with "why should it be our problem when we're the hardworking and sane individuals just trying to live and work here, why should our neighborhood be tagged with homeless, something we didn't bring upon ourselves?" Have you ever visited Portland, Oregon? Do you know what happened to Portland's Chinatown? Practically ran out of business to the point of non-existence because of too many mentally insane homeless people congregating there, scaring patrons away and stinking up the neighborhood with bodily fluids. The business owners and residents were all fed up and moved away and to tell you the truth, I would too if I were in that position. I would not ever want to see any neighborhood like that again. Someone like the O.P. is likely looking for a comfortable and clean place where no panhandler would approach asking for money, no drunk would be caught sleeping in front of your door, and the smell of human urine and faeces doesn't permeate the air. You might be okay with living in such a place but not everyone desires to, all right.
Disagreement is what makes the world go round, so no need to apologize for it. I remember all that too but that wasn't the backdrop of the question. This particular question was not about aggressive panhandling, crime, violence, public urination, public drinking or drug use or homeless people camping out on your stoop, all of which are valid concerns. The extent of this question pertained to simply being "approached" by homeless individuals presumably asking for change, a situation that will always be inherent in city living in Boston and most other cities, and in most neighborhoods to one extent or another. We don't criminalize homelessness here, and people are free to approach others and ask questions. Yes, even for handouts.

Old 06-11-2023, 05:34 PM

959 posts, read 535,528 times
I often visit parents in Brighton and we walk a lot in that area and to downtown Boston (sometimes Walk for Hunger too. 20 miles). I generally do not see homeless in Brighton Center, near Oak Square. I'd say in Brighton overall, but of course I may miss some areas. If I were you I would spend some time checking in person.
My MIL lives near Fenway. When we leave Mass Pike near Double Tree hotel there are always some panhandlers asking for money.

Old 06-12-2023, 07:30 AM

1,708 posts, read 2,910,549 times
Anyone seen the 50 one handed pushup man in a while? He was a favorite bum around Northeastern.

Old 06-12-2023, 07:56 AM

16,346 posts, read 8,162,213 times
Default re

Quote:
Where do you live?
I live on the south shore but before this I've lived in Roslindale and Dorchester. I was approached in Dorchester but not Roslidale. I'd say it happened the most while i was taking the train in pretty much any station.

Old 06-12-2023, 08:04 AM

2,435 posts, read 1,319,830 times
Quote:
I live in Framingham and am considering moving to Boston. I am curious for those who live in Boston, how often are you approached by homeless people? Do you perceive it's any different in other US cities such as Philadelphia or NYC? Is it more common on some T lines than others?

I have lived in Massachusetts since my infancy, but almost totally in the MetroWest area. In my time in the city, I have seen more homeless people in Cambridge, especially Harvard Square, than Boston.
My experiences from living in Boston:

There are homeless and then there are panhandlers.

The panhandlers are the ones who frequently ask for money, but they also know their target audience. The panhandlers hang out in busy tourist and business quarters because that's where the tourists and/or business bros are. Think Copley Square, DTX, Boylston/Mass Ave, the common, etc. They have their spots and times of day and have figured out how to not loiter in one spot so long as to get kicked out. After a while, you actually get on a casual basis with them where walking past results in an exchange of greetings rather than a request for money. Of course, they're never going to turn down the occasional donation.

The homeless are the ones pushing a shopping cart with what little they own or sleeping in a vestibule. More often than not, they're unlikely to speak or make eye contact with you, never mind approach you for money. They tend to hang out more in places where they'll be left alone.

Old 06-12-2023, 12:14 PM

12,836 posts, read 22,009,846 times
I'm in East Boston and I'm rarely approached by homeless people. The lone exception in the neighborhood is the 7-Eleven in Maverick Sq. where there's usually the same homeless guy who will open the door for people entering/exiting and ask for change. He's not pushy, but I can understand why anyone wouldn't want to deal with it. I'll admit - if I need a convenience item and I'm in a particularly anti-social mood, I'll walk a bit further to another store or market rather than deal with it. There are a couple of homeless people who sometimes hang out near the Dunks in Mav. Sq. too, but they don't do much begging for change (though they occasionally loudly argue with each other). I experience a bit more over by North Station, Government Center, Park St. and Downtown Crossing, etc. than my neighborhood; but nothing prohibitive.

Really it's not much of an issue for us at all here. Especially compared to many other cities I spend time in (DC, NY, SF, etc.). Even tiny Portland, ME has a homeless/panhandling population that stands out more to me outside of the peak summer/fall season when they're masked by the throngs of tourists. I guess it's a matter of perspective. If you're from a place where there aren't any homeless people, it could be a rude awakening. But I think as far as major cities go, Boston isn't bad in most of the areas you're likely to find yourself on a regularly basis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston