Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2023, 09:24 AM

21,629 posts, read 12,766,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by id77 View Post
The city that always seemed the "worst" for me is Baltimore. Get a block or two away from the inner harbor and it seemed pretty rampant, but I only spent about a week there so I can't really say it's that way all the time or just happened to be bad at the times I was there.
Baltimore is the worst in the NEC. Philly is 2nd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2023, 09:33 AM

Cigarette moocher turns violent, smashes man with bottle at Quincy Center T stop, police say
By adamg on Wed, 06/14/2023 - 8:44am

Transit Police report arresting a man they say demanded a cigarette from a couple standing on the Red Line platform at Quincy Center, then hit the man with a bottle and threatened to stab the woman, around 2 p.m. on Tuesday

These types of things seem to happen a lot in Boston and it screams of a homeless person to me.

Old 06-14-2023, 09:44 AM

23,549 posts, read 18,700,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
If you plan to stay in Philly for long periods of time, carry Narcan with you, because it may help someone.

Narcan only goes so far these days...

https://nypost.com/2023/05/27/horrif...ranq-epidemic/

Old 06-14-2023, 09:48 AM

12,163 posts, read 8,002,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
I really disagree. Boston is not particularly worse or better than other comparable NEC cities imo. And seems to be getting worse. I was approached by so many homeless people 2 weeks ago and there are at least 2/3 on virtually every single bus or train. It seems worse in Baltimore and Philly but i think thats due to poverty.

On a per capita basis no worse than NYC or DC. I think in DC they're more visible but they're almost always in areas of low foot traffic and near highways and exit ramps. Not aggressive at all. In Boston, the homeless seem hostile and ready to go. Often shouting nasty cusswords, ethnic/homophobic slurs and stuff at people. I was on Warren Street in Roxbury, intersection of Seaver Street and Walnut Ave in Roxbury, Mattapan Station, and was approached by homeless beggers while in my car (Seaver and Walnut Ave), while on foot entering my jobs office, and while waiting for the bus. There was also a homeless man/beggar back at Morton and Blue Hill the time I was there before. I also still saw homeless at the Central Library, sleeping in the doorways on Tremont Street and in Downtown Crossing. I saw the shacks by Franklin Park and their illegal tents. I saw a tent somewhere else too but I forget exactly where.

It a big part of why my job is moving its offices from Nubian Square to nearby Bromley Heath/Mildred Hailer. We had a business owner below us, a black woman- shut her hair salon down because people were scared off by the homeless and drug dealers in front of our building. This is what she told my boss directly. We had people in our office commuting from Somerville pre-pandemic who did not feel safe leaving work in the winter because it was dark and they'd get harassed. My coworkers and boss said theyd see 10+ drug deals per day in the parking lot by our office. When i came there was a woman literally rolling around on the ground bumping into the fence, and a considerable amount of trash.

I also recently read that South bay customers and store owners are frustrated with the homelessness and more accurately the drug use inside of store buildings - particularly the bathrooms.

I think you see fewer tenants in Boston because of the right-to-shelter law but vagrants, seemingly unclean homeless-type people are fairly plentiful during the day in a large part of the city.
Definitely disagree. I work in Lower Manhattan now and its pretty awful just abut everywhere. From Hoboken Terminal, Journal Square, WTC Station, Gramercy Park, Midtown, Penn Station, Port Authority and various streets here and there.

A few weeks ago I was in Hoboken (I know, not NYC... but Hoboken gets a lot of NYC homeless people now because its so overcrowded there) and a white dude called three black girls the N word at the McDonalds on Washington Street. He threatened the staff and the police did nothing.

It definitely is bad in Boston, but NYC (Not sure about DC, I am actually surprised it would be bad) definitely has more in the spotlight, you will interact with them more. I think NYC homeless are less aggressive because, I hate to say it, its apart of the city's fabric now. Homeless people have been there for decades and the problem from the immense gentrification of the whole island of Manhattan has gone way too far. It wasn't too long ago when Lower Manhattan was 50% lower income... those days of the 1990s-2000s are long gone.

Manhattan is one of my least favorite places on the Earth for just how awful it has treated its citizens in recent years. I work for the City of New York now, its a problem that will continue getting worse...

Old 06-14-2023, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Definitely disagree. I work in Lower Manhattan now and its pretty awful just abut everywhere. From Hoboken Terminal, Journal Square, WTC Station, Gramercy Park, Midtown, Penn Station, Port Authority and various streets here and there.

A few weeks ago I was in Hoboken (I know, not NYC... but Hoboken gets a lot of NYC homeless people now because its so overcrowded there) and a white dude called three black girls the N word at the McDonalds on Washington Street. He threatened the staff and the police did nothing.

It definitely is bad in Boston, but NYC (Not sure about DC, I am actually surprised it would be bad) definitely has more in the spotlight, you will interact with them more. I think NYC homeless are less aggressive because, I hate to say it, its apart of the city's fabric now. Homeless people have been there for decades and the problem from the immense gentrification of the whole island of Manhattan has gone way too far. It wasn't too long ago when Lower Manhattan was 50% lower income... those days of the 1990s-2000s are long gone.

Manhattan is one of my least favorite places on the Earth for just how awful it has treated its citizens in recent years. I work for the City of New York now, its a problem that will continue getting worse...
Maybe it's all true, logically practically I could see homeless being attracted to NYC. But maybe I don't notice it because of the sheer density of people. Maybe because it's part of the city fabric as you say.

But I don't notice a ton of Homeless people in Northern Manhattan, Queens or Brooklyn. I'm very very rarely ever in Lower Manhattan, and I do see considerable vagrants around Midtown but never like a tent, and rarely someone sleeping in a doorway. Usually pushing a cart or something.

I wouldn't imagine Staten to have many and Last time I was in NYC I stayed in the Bronx not far form the Bronx Zoo, didn't notice any homeless. I stayed right here

There is a Park along the Bronx River Parkway 100 feet away. Its little used, flat, in a low-income area, near the freeway and about a 5-minute walk from the train- if you were going to be a homeless person this would be a logical place to stay or put up a tent. However, I brought my son to the Park- absolutely spotless and feckless.

Old 06-14-2023, 10:17 AM

16,359 posts, read 8,174,665 times
Boston has a homeless population yes...but there are plenty of areas that don't have homeless people. Clearly Boston is alive and well and people still wanting to live here despite our homeless population. In fact many people are homeless because of the supply/demand of people wanting to live here.

Old 06-14-2023, 10:31 AM

12,163 posts, read 8,002,089 times
Quote:
Maybe it's all true, logically practically I could see homeless being attracted to NYC. But maybe I don't notice it because of the sheer density of people. Maybe because it's part of the city fabric as you say.

But I don't notice a ton of Homeless people in Northern Manhattan, Queens or Brooklyn. I'm very very rarely ever in Lower Manhattan, and I do see considerable vagrants around Midtown but never like a tent, and rarely someone sleeping in a doorway. Usually pushing a cart or something.

I wouldn't imagine Staten to have many and Last time I was in NYC I stayed in the Bronx not far form the Bronx Zoo, didn't notice any homeless. I stayed right here

There is a Park along the Bronx River Parkway 100 feet away. Its little used, flat, in a low-income area, near the freeway and about a 5-minute walk from the train- if you were going to be a homeless person this would be a logical place to stay or put up a tent. However, I brought my son to the Park- absolutely spotless and feckless.
I love the Bronx... the Bronx doesn't have really any homeless people if I recall. Its mostly Manhattan from below about 75th Street on the East Side and 60th Street on the West Side, picks up significantly around Hells Kitchen/Port Authority and then again in random spots around the LES. Then parts of Queens and a handful of neighborhoods in North Brooklyn.

Its becoming noticeable in New Jersey too. New Brunswick, Hoboken, JSQ, Newark Penn, Newark and some stretches of Bergen County underneath i-80 around Hackensack/Bogota area.

Gentrification brings in social distress.

Old 06-14-2023, 10:36 AM

12,848 posts, read 22,021,203 times
Quote:
I really disagree. Boston is not particularly worse or better than other comparable NEC cities imo. And seems to be getting worse. I was approached by so many homeless people 2 weeks ago and there are at least 2/3 on virtually every single bus or train. It seems worse in Baltimore and Philly but i think thats due to poverty.

On a per capita basis no worse than NYC or DC. I think in DC they're more visible but they're almost always in areas of low foot traffic and near highways and exit ramps. Not aggressive at all. In Boston, the homeless seem hostile and ready to go.
I think Boston is quite a bit better than Philly and Baltimore. This might be influenced by the fact that Boston has more foot traffic than either city in/around the city Center so it's easier to hide, but both Philly and Baltimore appear to have a much greater homeless population to my eyes.

Boston may be comparable to DC and NYC on a per capita basis, but I still think it's a little better than both. NYC has always had a visible and vocal homeless population so it's hard for me to say whether its better or worse. It feels the same to me. DC (I was there for several days last week) has actually gotten much worse over the past several years in my experience though. I don't think the homeless people I encountered there are much less "aggressive" than in Boston either. I was asked for money just as often as I am in Boston. Not rude, but it hasn't been rude in Boston either for me (a lot of "god blesses" going around in both places). That said, I don't doubt that experiences vary depending on the individual.

The big difference between DC and Boston for me is that there seem to be larger groups of homeless hanging around in central DC. Especially at night. I walked by several groups of 10+ on corners just steps from the Mall. I don't see much of that in Boston. And while Mass/Cass is worse than any single encampment I've personally seen in DC (there could be worse ones), it's off the beaten path for most visitors. In DC, I drove and walked by several in/around the city center in pretty visible spots (tents set up literally in the shadow of the Capitol lends an added degree of symbolism too). I'm certainly open to the fact that my perspective might be skewed, but the homelessness in DC seemed a good deal more in your face than it does in Boston to me.

Old 06-14-2023, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
I think Boston is quite a bit better than Philly and Baltimore. This might be influenced by the fact that Boston has more foot traffic than either city in/around the city Center so it's easier to hide, but both Philly and Baltimore appear to have a much greater homeless population to my eyes.

Boston may be comparable to DC and NYC on a per capita basis, but I still think it's a little better than both. NYC has always had a visible and vocal homeless population so it's hard for me to say whether its better or worse. It feels the same to me. DC (I was there for several days last week) has actually gotten much worse over the past several years in my experience though. I don't think the homeless people I encountered there are much less "aggressive" than in Boston either. I was asked for money just as often as I am in Boston. Not rude, but it hasn't been rude in Boston either for me (a lot of "god blesses" going around in both places). That said, I don't doubt that experiences vary depending on the individual.

The big difference between DC and Boston for me is that there seem to be larger groups of homeless hanging around in central DC. Especially at night. I walked by several groups of 10+ on corners just steps from the Mall. I don't see much of that in Boston. And while Mass/Cass is worse than any single encampment I've personally seen in DC (there could be worse ones), it's off the beaten path for most visitors. In DC, I drove and walked by several in/around the city center in pretty visible spots (tents set up literally in the shadow of the Capitol lends an added degree of symbolism too). I'm certainly open to the fact that my perspective might be skewed, but the homelessness in DC seemed a good deal more in your face than it does in Boston to me.
Baltimore and Philly are worse- no doubt.

Generally when I lived in DC the homeless were not very visible, but it has gotten worse in my few visit back since I moved out 5 years ago. The difference is I'm not really seeing homeless in and around train stations and businesses as much in DC as I see them in Boston. Train stations, in particular, are much better in DC than someplace like Andrew, Fields Corner or Downtown Crossing or even some Green Line stops.

A place like a park ( like the national Mall) or an exit ramp seemed to be the norm which makes sense as DC generally has far more law enforcement officers and more strict city codes and bylaws when it comes to public disorder (signs on the bus and train - no eating, no drinking, no loud music, exit fares and so on).

I know Union Station had homeless tents outside the building but not many if any homeless Inside the building like I continue to see in Boston. But you'll never see the tents you do elsewhere due to the right to shelter law in MA, were the only ones in the country with it.

I ironically both DC and Boston were reporting multi-year decreases in homelessness until 2023.

Old 06-14-2023, 02:53 PM

17,716 posts, read 9,181,543 times
Quote:
Homeless people generally do best in areas where lots of people and businesses are. I don't see that park as being a logical choice at all.

Tompkins Square Park in the East Village is where you'll see lots of homeless people. And in the subway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
The big difference between DC and Boston for me is that there seem to be larger groups of homeless hanging around in central DC. Especially at night. I walked by several groups of 10+ on corners just steps from the Mall. I don't see much of that in Boston. And while Mass/Cass is worse than any single encampment I've personally seen in DC (there could be worse ones), it's off the beaten path for most visitors.
Walk through the Common during the night.

(Actually, don't...it's not safe.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston