Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2023, 05:45 AM

11 posts, read 6,970 times

Advertisements

I live in Framingham and am considering moving to Boston. I am curious for those who live in Boston, how often are you approached by homeless people? Do you perceive it's any different in other US cities such as Philadelphia or NYC? Is it more common on some T lines than others?

I have lived in Massachusetts since my infancy, but almost totally in the MetroWest area. In my time in the city, I have seen more homeless people in Cambridge, especially Harvard Square, than Boston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2023, 09:47 AM

3,973 posts, read 5,768,214 times
Homeless people tend to congregate in Downtown areas where homeless shelters and clinics are located and where they know they can beg/panhandle for more money. There are huge swaths of Boston that do not have a homeless problem. I live in Dorchester near Ashmont MBTA Station and my neighborhood so far does not have much homeless people out and about, just every once in a while 1-2 sleeping on benches near the station but no tents popping up. That can be said of any major city in North America really. It depends on where you are. Where in Boston are you thinking of moving to?

Old 06-10-2023, 11:59 AM

Thank you for the reply.
I am not able to move right now, so I will wait until that changes to decide.

I was thinking Brookline, Somerville, Jamaica Plain, Brighton, or Dorchester.

Old 06-10-2023, 01:13 PM

5,104 posts, read 2,663,898 times
"Approached" by homeless people! Oh the horror!

It's always interesting to see how so many of these lovely "progressive" folks in Boston pass by and look down with disgust at many of these street people as if they are pariah. Most can't even muster up a response or a hello.

Old 06-10-2023, 02:23 PM

I don't look down on disgust at anybody, and I never said it was horrible or called anyone a pariah.

Old 06-10-2023, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bread&Roses View Post
I don't look down on disgust at anybody, and I never said it was horrible or called anyone a pariah.
And I never said you did.

But if you seriously think you will ever be able to live here and never be "approached" by homeless people, you're out of touch with the reality of city life.

Old 06-10-2023, 03:34 PM

16,357 posts, read 8,174,665 times
It's been a while since I've been approached by homeless people, but I think what the OP meant was coming up to you asking for money. In the city this would happen frequently.

Old 06-10-2023, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
And I never said you did.

But if you seriously think you will ever be able to live here and never be "approached" by homeless people, you're out of touch with the reality of city life.
Well then why did you post thay comment lmao

Also I outright said I live in the MetroWest area.

Old 06-10-2023, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
It's been a while since I've been approached by homeless people, but I think what the OP meant was coming up to you asking for money. In the city this would happen frequently.
Where do you live?

Old 06-10-2023, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bread&Roses View Post
Well then why did you post thay comment lmao

Also I outright said I live in the MetroWest area.
Because it relates to your ridiculous question. I read where you live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston