Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2023, 09:12 AM

6,787 posts, read 4,230,123 times

Advertisements

I don't get it. Isn't that like having a Yankees Team Store in Boston? Friends is a New York show and has nothing to do with Boston. While New York isn't that central to the plot in Friends (certainly not like it is in Seinfeld), it's still publicly identified with the city. I mean the name of the place is a pun on Central Park.

But there appears to be sort of a cult around the show now. If you go to the WB Studios in Burbank, where Friends was actually filmed, you'll find that almost their entire tour offering is centered around Friends. There's a fake Friends stage where you can have your picture taken on a replica of the Central Perk couch. The gift shop is like 90% Friends themed. The fountain from the opening credits is a core part of the studio tour even though it is no longer actually in the location where said opening was filmed (because that original backlot is being turned into sound stages). It's very strange because of course Warner Brothers had many famous movies, and yet they seem to mostly cater to Friends fans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2023, 10:36 AM

12,825 posts, read 22,003,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
I don't get it. Isn't that like having a Yankees Team Store in Boston? Friends is a New York show and has nothing to do with Boston. While New York isn't that central to the plot in Friends (certainly not like it is in Seinfeld), it's still publicly identified with the city. I mean the name of the place is a pun on Central Park.

But there appears to be sort of a cult around the show now. If you go to the WB Studios in Burbank, where Friends was actually filmed, you'll find that almost their entire tour offering is centered around Friends. There's a fake Friends stage where you can have your picture taken on a replica of the Central Perk couch. The gift shop is like 90% Friends themed. The fountain from the opening credits is a core part of the studio tour even though it is no longer actually in the location where said opening was filmed (because that original backlot is being turned into sound stages). It's very strange because of course Warner Brothers had many famous movies, and yet they seem to mostly cater to Friends fans.
Friends is considered by many to be one of the best, if not the best, shows of all time. It's also among the most watched on streaming services today - nearly 30 years after it was created. And unlike Cheers which has a nostalgic following, Friends seems to have had a rebirth with another generation too. It's wildly popular today with 20-something Friends fans who are streaming the show in their dorms or apartments. So from a marketing standpoint, it makes sense. With the exception of the Harry Potter franchise (which has also been merchandized to death), it's hard to think of another WB movie or show that extremely popular today that also has a strong multi-generational following.

So I don't question the enthusiasm for the show. I just question whether the enthusiasm for the show can sustain a permanent Central Perk location in Boston(a Pop Up? Definitely.). I don't think the NYC piece matters quite as much (as you said, it's not Sex and the City or Seinfeld where the city was basically a character in the show), but I do think a Central Perk location would have a greater chance for long term success if it opened in Greenwich Village.

Old 11-20-2023, 11:00 AM

17,680 posts, read 9,168,053 times
https://centralperk.com/pages/locations

"OUR COFFEEHOUSES

The Central Perk Coffee Co has opened its first ever coffeehouse and cafe concept! It’s a modern take on the classic Central Perk from FRIENDS™ and we think you’re gonna love it.

There are more locations coming on the horizon!
Thanks for your patience and we hope to see you soon."

Old 11-20-2023, 01:35 PM

959 posts, read 533,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
How is the Friends sitcom related to Boston? I means Cheers is tied in with modern Boston folklore but Friends?
Boston has some of ethnic restaurants in tourist guides. Ethnic groups may live in Boston, but not in huge numbers. Maybe Friends fans live in Boston or visit Boston. You never know.

There is Venetian in Las Vegas… and it is pretty popular. My friends were so excited to stay there and try gondolas! Actually hotel is pretty nice

Old 11-21-2023, 08:26 AM

3,207 posts, read 2,116,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsGirl View Post

There is Venetian in Las Vegas… and it is pretty popular. My friends were so excited to stay there and try gondolas! Actually hotel is pretty nice
There's also one in Italy that's pretty cool.

Old 11-26-2023, 12:01 PM

959 posts, read 533,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post
There's also one in Italy that's pretty cool.
I hope they use real canals

Venice is magic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston