Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2023, 12:02 PM

17,708 posts, read 9,175,662 times

Advertisements

Central Perk. Newbury Street.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4Tlg31bNHA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2023, 02:40 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,118,146 times
So f*****ng dumb

Old 11-16-2023, 04:20 PM

5,100 posts, read 2,661,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post
So f*****ng dumb
That's what gets people to line up with their wallets in this town nowadays--shiny, fake and unoriginal.

Old 11-16-2023, 04:28 PM

5,957 posts, read 2,874,419 times
Parden me while I spill H O T coffee on you

Old 11-16-2023, 04:35 PM

17,708 posts, read 9,175,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post
So f*****ng dumb
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
That's what gets people to line up with their wallets in this town nowadays--shiny, fake and unoriginal.
I think it's pretty cool.

Old 11-16-2023, 04:44 PM

5,100 posts, read 2,661,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
I think it's pretty cool.
Of course you do.

Old 11-16-2023, 06:50 PM

16,346 posts, read 8,162,213 times
Lol

Old 11-16-2023, 08:44 PM

8,016 posts, read 5,856,161 times
This is wicked stupid.

Old 11-17-2023, 06:23 AM

12,836 posts, read 22,009,846 times
This is not for me. But I’m sure there will be plenty of people lining up for crappy coffee and the chance to get an Instagram shot. I’m a little surprised it’s “permanent,” and not a pop-up, however. You’d think the novelty would wear thin at some point.

Old 11-17-2023, 10:23 AM

2,947 posts, read 5,187,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
This is not for me. But I’m sure there will be plenty of people lining up for crappy coffee and the chance to get an Instagram shot. I’m a little surprised it’s “permanent,” and not a pop-up, however. You’d think the novelty would wear thin at some point.
Long and meandering post:

But....the Cheers novelty hasn't dropped off decades later, at least not enough to close the original spot in Boston.

Sure, their Quincy Market location closed in the pandemic (still vacant, I think), but not sure if that was the major reason, or it would have closed soon anyway after too much saturation with three Cheers at one point here, including the airport.
Maybe the Logan airport spot still operates?

Many young visitors to Cheers nowadays have never heard of it, or at least may not be able to name the characters and their real-life names and faces....never mind sing or recognize the theme song!

But it survives for now -- and I hope forever; heck, it's Boston history! At least to me. But even years ago I encountered an international young adult here who hadn't heard of it. I guess it's mainly an American thing.

But, like Cheers, some or many of a certain age have never heard of Friends, especially if not American (though it's in syndication multiple times back to back daily on TBS and maybe other channels-- and maybe in other countries.)

Or if they're aware of Friends, they don't know the characters' names or real life names, and can't recognize or sing the theme song. I encountered a Star Market cashier last month who either hadn't heard of Matthew Perry and his death, or maybe hadn't even heard of Friends! He was late 20s-early 30s, but maybe not born and raised here. But I was shocked he hadn't heard of Matthew's passing...i guess it's no surprise that some or many just don't follow the news unlike many here. No time and/or no interest. Maybe lazy. Maybe reading or writing great literature?

I actually think it's fun to have the only Friends coffee shop here in Boston! Why isn't New York the first, as it was based there. Are they planning to open there and other cities?

I'm not a coffee drinker, but hopefully they have quality hot chocolate and decent pastries. I'll definitely check it out, maybe even become a regular if I like it. Or, just go inside and get a kick out of watching the folks (fools!? as most here might label them) getting off on their experience.

It sure beats having a bank or nail salon, or vacant space, in that spot on our landmark street (no offense to any here working in those professions!).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston