Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 07:23 PM

62 posts, read 454,420 times

Advertisements

Are The Caffrey Towers in Brockton, MA a nice place to live?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2009, 10:45 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,350,894 times
well, it's Brockton...

Old 01-25-2009, 08:08 AM

296 posts, read 528,779 times
Stay out of Brockton

Old 01-25-2009, 09:38 AM

4,888 posts, read 13,840,601 times
Any place with "Towers" in the name kinda screams "sketchy." Not every building or complex deserves that, though. In Brockton it probably does.
You notice that the Brockton haters are already on board. Pay them no heed. Every place has its good and bad sections. Outside of downtown and the south side it's a decent city to live in. My feeling about Caffrey Towers stems from the fact that with Brockton's having a heavily blue-collar (and poorer) population the Towers' tenant composition probably reflects this - may be Section 8 all or in part. Painting with a broad brush means spots are missed, but let's face it, less money all too often translates into more crime.

Old 01-25-2009, 01:00 PM

12,873 posts, read 22,046,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
Any place with "Towers" in the name kinda screams "sketchy." Not every building or complex deserves that, though. In Brockton it probably does.
You notice that the Brockton haters are already on board. Pay them no heed. Every place has its good and bad sections. Outside of downtown and the south side it's a decent city to live in. My feeling about Caffrey Towers stems from the fact that with Brockton's having a heavily blue-collar (and poorer) population the Towers' tenant composition probably reflects this - may be Section 8 all or in part. Painting with a broad brush means spots are missed, but let's face it, less money all too often translates into more crime.
Good Post.

I would call and see what percentage of the complex is section 8. I am not sure about this particular place, but Brockton is a working class/ lower income city... many of the apartment complexes reflect that. My feeling on Brockton, and many of the other "Gateway" cities (Fall River, Lowell, New Bedford, Lawrence, Worcester, Haverhill, etc), is that there is EXCELLENT value to be had when buying or renting IF you pick the right neighborhoods AND you don't plan on utilizing the public school systems. If you have a child and don't plan on sending that child to private school (or to another district by using another address), then Brockton may not be the place for you. If you don't... pay special attention to the neighborhood... there are some nice spots in even the "worst" bay state cities.

*EDIT* well, after writing this, I decided to google "caffrey towers." turns out its a public housing complex managed by the Brockton Housing Authority. While the location doesn't look terrible (adjacent to Massasoit CC), I would be concerned about who you're living with. It may be in your best interest to continue looking elsewhere.

Old 01-25-2009, 06:32 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,699,483 times
why not check out bridgewater, for better safety. even norton?

Old 01-25-2009, 07:19 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,481,105 times
Brockton is one tough town. Marvin Hagler and Rocky Marciano both are both from Brockton, a testament I think to just how tough Brockton is.

Old 01-26-2009, 05:55 AM

296 posts, read 528,779 times
Pay no attention to the hookers , crack heads , Crach houses ,Shootings , Latin Kings, Bloods , crips or Teen Pregnancy

Old 01-26-2009, 07:55 AM

12,873 posts, read 22,046,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMedic View Post
Pay no attention to the hookers , crack heads , Crach houses ,Shootings , Latin Kings, Bloods , crips or Teen Pregnancy
Are there really hookers, shootings, latin kings, crips and pregnant teens (pregnant teens?! what that hell does this matter?)on EVERY corner of EVERY neighborhood in the city of Brockton?

While it's ignorant to believe that Brockton is perfectly safe and nothing's wrong, it's just as ignorant to believe that there is nowhere in the entire city that's even 1/2 way decent. There are fine, family oriented neighborhoods in the city-- even though they may make up the minority of neighborhoods. Again there is value to be had in Brockton, ESPECIALLY if the OP doesn't have a kid that needs to go to public school.

Like any city of nearly 100,000, certain common sense is needed. Don't deal or buy drugs... getting involved puts you at risk. Don't join a gang... it puts you at risk... use birth control, you won't get pregnant... etc, etc etc.

You provided no substance in your first post by saying, "stay out of Brockton." why should anyone listen to that? You provide nothing to back up your statement. Even your second post does nothing but make sweeping generalizations. Essentially, you're two posts in this thread are worthless as they lack any substance... why should anyone pay any attention to them?

Old 01-26-2009, 09:51 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,350,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Are there really hookers, shootings, latin kings, crips and pregnant teens (pregnant teens?! what that hell does this matter?)on EVERY corner of EVERY neighborhood in the city of Brockton?

While it's ignorant to believe that Brockton is perfectly safe and nothing's wrong, it's just as ignorant to believe that there is nowhere in the entire city that's even 1/2 way decent. There are fine, family oriented neighborhoods in the city-- even though they may make up the minority of neighborhoods. Again there is value to be had in Brockton, ESPECIALLY if the OP doesn't have a kid that needs to go to public school.

Like any city of nearly 100,000, certain common sense is needed. Don't deal or buy drugs... getting involved puts you at risk. Don't join a gang... it puts you at risk... use birth control, you won't get pregnant... etc, etc etc.

You provided no substance in your first post by saying, "stay out of Brockton." why should anyone listen to that? You provide nothing to back up your statement. Even your second post does nothing but make sweeping generalizations. Essentially, you're two posts in this thread are worthless as they lack any substance... why should anyone pay any attention to them?
so what ARE the safe parts of Brockton? I know not every part of Brockton is dangerous. my first post was more out of sarcasm (though I posted it right after reading about that guy who killed one girl after raping her sister, so my view at the time was skewed). I'm almost always the one sticking up for the nice parts of Roxbury, but I try to make sure I point out that most of that neighborhood is pretty rough. the guy is apparently coming from Orlando, FL, and, AFAIK, giving his limited posting history, may not know the area all that well. unfortunately, the OP has given NO info into what his needs are, besides the fact that he's looking for a Sec 8 apartment, which by itself is going to put him in some rough places (it's not like anyone can recommend a Sec 8 apartment in Newton or Lexington). if the OP is specifically looking at this place b/c it takes vouchers, than needless to say, he may be in a bad part of Brockton
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston