Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2010, 01:20 AM

24 posts, read 127,206 times

Advertisements

If I'm working in Brockton and my husband is going to school in Cambridge, where would be a good place to live?

We're both in our 20s, really like living in areas with restaurants within walking distance and stuff to do, and have 2 small dogs. Neither of us have ever lived in snow before, so we were thinking an apartment in a high-rise with covered parking might be a good idea, at least for the first year. Also, I don't mind driving, but my husband would rather avoid it, so we'd like to find somewhere that would offer convenient public transportation to Cambridge. Rent-wise we're fine with ~$1600 or less for a one bedroom.

Our favorite place that we've lived so far is Berkeley, because it has great restaurants and food, lots to do, lots of young people, is compact enough to walk almost anywhere, and is beautiful. If there's someplace like this that would work, that would be awesome. (I know that's probably asking for WAY too much, but I figured it might help to describe what we're looking for)

Thanks so much for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2010, 08:35 AM

3,971 posts, read 5,764,113 times
Check out the Ashmont and Neponset sections of Dorchester.There are plenty of apartments to be found in both neighborhoods and a good selection of restaurants and pubs such as Girards, the Ashmont Grill, and the Blarney Stone (actually in Fields Corner). Ashmont is also served by a Red Line rapid transit station (and even a BAT bus to Brockton Center) while the Neponset neighborhood has feeder bus service into the Red Line.

Check out all of Quincy as well, especially the parts closest to the Red Line stations. There are restaurants abound in Quincy Center serving all types of cuisines. North Quincy has some excellent Asian restaurants as well. Quincy is within good driving distance of Brockton and one MBTA bus, the #230 actually runs to the Montello section of Brockton. Good luck.

Old 01-12-2010, 09:09 AM

385 posts, read 1,454,413 times
Quincy makes sense transit-wise, since you could drive to Brockton and your husband could take the Red Line to Cambridge. I don't know if it has the vibe you are looking for, though. There are some young people and a few trendy restaurants, but I'm not sure one could compare it to Berkeley.

Old 01-12-2010, 09:47 AM

Thank you both for your advice - the areas you mentioned will give me a perfect starting point. Thanks also for including public transit info to Brockton. I hadn't even thought that would be an option, but it would be great if that worked out. Time to go look at craigslist postings for those areas.

Old 01-12-2010, 10:00 AM

12,825 posts, read 21,999,989 times
Where in Brockton is work? If it's downtown (or near one of the commuter rail stops), the Fort Point district in Boston may work. It's an easy walk South Station where he can pick up the Red Line to Cambridge and you can take the commuter rail to Brockton. It's a pain to park/drive in the Fort Point area to Brockton so if you're a ways from the rail station in Brockton it'll be tough to do, but if transit is a possibility, it may be perfect.

I also really like the Ashmont/Neponset sections of Dorchester. In addition to those, check out the Lower Mills area. A very cool urban vibe right along the Neponset River with plenty of restaurants and walkable neighborhoods.

Quincy Center is also a good option right on the commuter rail and Red Lines. Which gives you driving and transit options for your commutes. Check out MBTA.com > Official Website for Greater Boston's Public Transportation System to get a good picture of what your public transit options are. It would be great to be able to take advantage of them

Old 01-12-2010, 10:18 AM

Thanks for the reply, Irfox. I'll be working at the VA, so not all that close to the rail station, unfortunately. I'm definitely a fan of public transportation if it's convenient, so if anyone knows of good options for getting to the VA I'm all ears. I'll check out your link to see if I can find good routes for myself, too.

Lower Mills sounds great - I'll add that to the list.

Old 02-08-2010, 01:04 PM

26 posts, read 67,046 times
If you're in your 20's, want stuff to do within walking distance, and like restaurants -- you might be better off basing yourself in Cambridge. Cambridge and Berkeley have a very similar feel (other than the weather)

Old 07-12-2011, 05:20 PM

1 posts, read 3,631 times
I am thinking about a place on 239 North warren ave in brockton anyone no this area
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston