Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2007, 11:21 AM

1,089 posts, read 1,525,829 times

Advertisements

Yeah, I guess is that incident of the Desegregation busing incident in Southie back in the 70's, and the fact that the Red Sox did not have any black player for a really long time. I can see the Irish being rude and tough and really honest, but that gives Boston its character.

Old 04-14-2007, 08:44 AM

1 posts, read 11,905 times
Boston is definitely not a racist city. Massachusetts is the second state to have a black governor. There are sections of the city that are predominately Black, Hispanic, Asian Etc. Even some suburbs around Boston are pretty diverse, like Lynn for instance.

Old 04-14-2007, 10:40 AM

345 posts, read 1,578,167 times
i guest it depends on where you live, yes??

Old 05-03-2007, 09:01 PM

1 posts, read 11,834 times
I just moved to the Maryland/D.C. area last year after living in Boston for the last 22 years. The segregation and casual racism down here shocked the Hell out of me. I have lived many areas in Boston and have never encountered racism like this. Yet people I've met say Boston is racist. Personally I'm confused. I don't think of myself as an ignorant "colorblind" type, I mean when I got down here the racism level hit me instantly. Is it possible for me to have been amongst rampant racism in Boston and have never noticed it? I mean, I have seen the racism among police and public officials frequently but I always figured that was a nation-wide thing. General people didn't seem too racist... Maybe they wait until I'm not around.... I can think of isolated cases, but they were always by already well-known *******s, and it always stirred a huge reaction---like it was NOT an accepted thing. So... I mean, I don't have too many white friends up there but when I talked to them about the situation down here they were all angry and shocked. So, I don't know what to tell you. Maybe the racists in Boston are just much better at hiding it. But I guess it depends where you go. I lived in Brighton, J.P., Roslindale, East Boston, and Cambridge. It may be different in Southie or something.

Old 05-03-2007, 09:15 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,545,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cauzinariot View Post
I just moved to the Maryland/D.C. area last year after living in Boston for the last 22 years. The segregation and casual racism down here shocked the Hell out of me. I have lived many areas in Boston and have never encountered racism like this. Yet people I've met say Boston is racist. Personally I'm confused. I don't think of myself as an ignorant "colorblind" type, I mean when I got down here the racism level hit me instantly. Is it possible for me to have been amongst rampant racism in Boston and have never noticed it? I mean, I have seen the racism among police and public officials frequently but I always figured that was a nation-wide thing. General people didn't seem too racist... Maybe they wait until I'm not around.... I can think of isolated cases, but they were always by already well-known *******s, and it always stirred a huge reaction---like it was NOT an accepted thing. So... I mean, I don't have too many white friends up there but when I talked to them about the situation down here they were all angry and shocked. So, I don't know what to tell you. Maybe the racists in Boston are just much better at hiding it. But I guess it depends where you go. I lived in Brighton, J.P., Roslindale, East Boston, and Cambridge. It may be different in Southie or something.
How has racism manifested itself in DC that is so shocking? Could it be you are in an environment that is predominantly black compared to Boston and surrounding areas? Is it a culture shock that you migh tbe experiencing- I'm not being funny or down playing what you are saying but I'm a bit surprised and would like to know what you've seen and/or experienced.

Old 05-03-2007, 10:57 PM

1,005 posts, read 1,889,698 times
Re: "I can see the Irish being rude and tough and really honest, but that gives Boston its character."

- AND -

Re: "It may be different in Southie or something."

Aren't these statements containing prejudice? All Irish are rude & tough? Really? All residents of S. Boston are different in some racist way? Really?

Blanket stereotyping is wrong in any respect. Isn't it?

Old 05-09-2007, 08:40 AM

197 posts, read 261,527 times
I was told I wouldn't get a date because I'm black, by more than one person.

Old 05-09-2007, 09:00 AM

197 posts, read 261,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemark View Post
And why would a black woman not want to date you?? Something wrong with you??
Heheh, black man you mean. I was told I wouldn't get a date with anyone outside of my race. I'm pretty sure I'm a normal guy.

Old 05-09-2007, 11:06 AM

639 posts, read 3,527,348 times
I was born and raised in Boston, right in the heart of it and I didn't see racism, the true racism that people can't stand until I moved OUT of Boston. The remarks, snide comments, ridiculous statements that I've heard in my lifetime are ALL out of people that lived outside the City of Boston. I never experienced anything like that in the City of Boston, ever. I grew up in a neighborhood of Boston with the majority of the people being of Italian, Irish & Polish descent. One of my best friends was Korean and when we went to high school in Cambridge (A private school) it was like the leaque of nations there were so many nationalities. My friends and I didn't think anything of it one bit. We figured they were all Italian & Irish & Polish like US! To this day my friends and I can NOT figure out what the big deal is. This is America. The land of the free and the home of the brave, what's up with this racism baloney?

I still to this day can NOT get over some of the comments and rude, snide remarks that I've heard out of some extremely intelligent, bright individuals that supposedly lived in a much better type of environment than my friends and I ever did through the years. Well, let me tell you guys something. I'll take MY years growing up in the City of Boston ANY day over what they've experienced, because OBVIOUSLY I'm not impressed with how they think, one iota! People with these thoughts, remarks and snide comments about race issues and all that? Are nothing but ignorant ingrates as far as I'm concerned.

Just my two cents.

Old 05-09-2007, 11:28 AM

175 posts, read 733,616 times
I would have to agree with the bulk of posters. Boston racial divide is a bit more ethnically based then racial based. Example South Boston Irish kids and Italian North Boston kids would probably dislike each other. Or Irish DOT kids and Black DOT kids might not like on another. It is more of an ethnic thing within the city in my opinion. I'm black american attending school here and live in the lovely suburb of Newton. I mean I had some initial problems with my italian elderly next door neighbor (she was an obvious racist and anti semite the jewish part is probably the funniest if you know newton well ), but besides that i've been here four years and can say i've never found it to be overall racist. I'd also like to point out just because the state elected a black govonor does not all of a sudden give the entire state a free pass of racial harmony haha. It merely proves nothing he was the best and most qualified to run the state out of those running and he just happend to be a black american. Furthermore, I think it proves that most people are not racist as opposed to we elected a black gov therefore no one here is racist. I'd say it is safe to say that for the majority of Americans no matter what color. Most of us are not evil racist a*holes but there is a portion of us that are.

Overall, i'd also strong disagree with people charging the more affluent white suburbs with being racist. I think that is another myth and holds no substantial truth. I've had more "suspected" racial encounters in the poorer white suburbs like the north shore area (Malden, Lynn, and Revere) than in Lexington, Weston, Newton, Westwood, Canton, or Brookline. In fact the majority of my MA friends are from the more affluent white suburbs and the kids that I tend not to get along with well are from the less affluent white suburbs toward the north and south shore (oh and worcester I cannot stand worcester natives no offense some i like some i do not). To answer your question NO BOSTON IS NO MORE RACIST THAN ANY OTHER MAJOR CITY IN THE US. 95% of the time nothing will happen to you, that you will suspect as racist only a small 5% of the time will something happen and make you wonder if ...but you should not let that ruin Boston for you!! It is my favorite city on the East Coast!!!! Oh and if you're in college it is by far the best city for College students. It is way safer than most large American cities of similiar size. Also if you are single it is supposedly the best place for single people. Although the girls/women here are not that hot (not saying they're unattractive, but i've seen a lot hotter haha). If you want really hot chicks you have to go down south to like Miami hahah.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston