Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 01:42 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,703,549 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonlover456 View Post
racism is created in your own mind, its created by low self esteem!
Agreed. If you are not comfortable in your own skin, then you will have problems.

Old 11-06-2008, 02:08 PM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,158,197 times
Quote:
racism is created in your own mind, its created by low self esteem!
I agree! Which is why others calling me names doesn't bother me. I consider the source, then brush it off and move on.

Old 11-07-2008, 02:07 PM

16 posts, read 83,686 times
i wouldnt say its like "nyc" i mean Boston is multicultural but not as big of a mix as new york. Everyone is racist so yes Boston would be a racist place as well as new york

Old 11-07-2008, 10:43 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,340,899 times
Quote:
Everyone is racist so yes Boston would be a racist place as well as new york

Old 11-10-2008, 02:23 PM

1,348 posts, read 3,585,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
And thanks in part to that dreadful black gangsta rap music, the "n" word is alive an well in America. Just like walking slowly while crossing the street against traffic, blacks use the "n" word among themselves like it was some special word only they are allowed to use. From there, their close buddies of other races are also allowed to use the secret club word. Eventually, it is once again used by everyone. If blacks don't like the "n" word, then they must stop using it themselves. Everyone knows the "n" and it's never going away, not until the AA stop using it themselves.

Otherwise, the "n" word is only a word, like f*ck. And if the blacks stop overreacting to hearing it, it will lose its appeal and power.

What black friends call eachother in an endearing, friendly manner is absolutely no business of yours.

And rap music--or any form of music, art, or literature--is free to use the "n word" as artistic expression. Plenty of whites, from Quentin Tarantino to Marylin Manson to William Faulkner, have used the 'N-word' in their work, and they are not criticized for it.

However, just because the blacks use it amongst themselves in a peer setting or the word is used in music or film, why do some people like you get all bent up over it? It is a non-issue and is completely irrelevent when discussing the issue of racism.

Old 11-10-2008, 04:31 PM

7 posts, read 19,851 times
If you're a minority then don't move to South Boston, the whites in there are the most racist and violent compared to any other part of the city. If you want more diversity then I would reccomend moving to Cambridge, Brighton or Allston.

Old 11-10-2008, 08:19 PM

8 posts, read 17,987 times
Those South Boston stereotypes sure die hard. I don't know how much you know about Southie but it's not the 1970's. Things have changed in a big way since then. Southie is far more diverse than it was during the busing fiasco. But think for a moment about what actually happened during the 70's. A predominately white neighborhood was being FORCED to have thier children bused to minority schools, while blacks were being FORCED to integrate into white neighborhoods. Neither wanted it. Did forced integration help racial relations? NO, it was a mistake. Neighborhood schools have served us well. The problem was the underfunding of certain neighborhood schools not the lack of integration.

Old 11-11-2008, 12:53 AM

16,690 posts, read 29,506,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xavierob82 View Post
What black friends call eachother in an endearing, friendly manner is absolutely no business of yours.

And rap music--or any form of music, art, or literature--is free to use the "n word" as artistic expression. Plenty of whites, from Quentin Tarantino to Marylin Manson to William Faulkner, have used the 'N-word' in their work, and they are not criticized for it.

However, just because the blacks use it amongst themselves in a peer setting or the word is used in music or film, why do some people like you get all bent up over it? It is a non-issue and is completely irrelevent when discussing the issue of racism.
Very good post, very well said.

Old 11-11-2008, 01:45 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,340,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xavierob82 View Post

while I find the use of the N-word hypocritical (I'm black and never have, never will use it, and people who know me know not to use that word around me, no matter their intent), I'm fine w/ its use in music, film, etc. I understand that, w/in certain demographics, people can make jokes about themselves and use ethnic slurs among themselves (like in that Seinfield episode where someone wanted to convert to Judaism just so he could tell Jewish jokes), but I just don't see the reason to do so outside of comedic situations (and I've heard blacks toss out the N-word w/o the slightest hint of humor, as if it was just any other word, like "sir"). I think w/ the N-word, who gets to say it and who doesn't can become complicated (some white people can say it w/o any worries, and some would get beat up over it). the context of the use is important, but again, it's complicated.

I think w/ rap, for example, its the overall demeaning quality of many artists/songs, not just the use on the N-word but the treatment of women, glorification of drugs and crime, etc, that's unappealing for many

ETA: Southie, for the most part, is fine. it's so yuppified at this point and losing its old school stereotypes.

Old 11-11-2008, 01:54 PM

9 posts, read 26,522 times
Default Boston is not anything of the sort!

The people of Boston were at one point forced abruptly to integrate as a form of fairness. I feel that allot of families of all cultures are so traumatized from this event that incapable of much integration. The neighborhoods they are very segregated I agree. I find that with a little extra care in dealing with older generations who went through this time. It is a very racially non bias place. I think it more traumatized as a city. The people are friendly and respectful. I find event street vendors of all cultures educationally motivated and respectful of peoples cultures.. it is like any place in the world. If people are not well studied in dealing with others they develop fixations for their problems. Race is only one component. The society of Boston is generally helpful. There is no serious disrespect of people based on race that I have seen. It is actually a similar to many towns and social experiments. The people get to know others a little more than usual and commonly re segregate. This can not be blamed on the town or the people as an indication of disinterest in respectful intercultural interactions. It has a place as the birthplace of racial equality as a matter of fact. Boston as well as Plymouth, and Virginia. The places that people of this country originally came from had no integration at all. The first steps of racial equality of the united states came from places like Boston. In the end I answer you this painfully not..you will be treated as everyone else for better or worse..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston