Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2009, 11:23 PM

2 posts, read 3,695 times

Advertisements

Hello everybody,

I need some help with picking a location for an apt around Boston. I have lived in Massachusetts suburbs my whole life and plan moving closer to the city. I am in my mid 20s and currently work in Burlington. My max for rent is around $1200 for a 1 bedroom. Proximity to T is important but not a deal breaker as long as I have a way of getting to T by bus. Easy parking is very important. I would mostly use the public transportation during the weekends going into the city. I would like to be a cab ride away from the city and would like to stay around 93. I have been looking into somerville - davis sq and winter hill area. Winter hill around central st are has some rentals around my price range but didnt seem nice when I drove around. Is this a safe area? Do you think there is a good chance the real estate prices in this area will go up with the planned green line extension - lots of apts for sale in case I decide to purchase. I have also been looking into Malden. Western Malden is nicer but more expensive than Eastern Malden. Are there any other towns I should look at?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2009, 06:28 AM

639 posts, read 3,528,368 times
Your best bet is to look on the Craigslist site. In fact, today there's a few good ones in your price range:
boston apts by owner classifieds - craigslist

I saw a 2BR in Medford for $1250 and a few others in your range.
There is also a 2BR in Salem on this site w/heat and hot water included for $1200 a month, so research this site, it's a good one.

I also saw a 1BR apartment in Andover and they want $995, that's quite good in this day and age and there's a picture of the place on craigslist and it's just gorgeous. It's in a real old yet updated New Englander/Victorian home. It would be ideal if you could get something closer to Boston, but I'd even consider this one in Andover if it were me! You'd still be closer to the City via I-93, which can get quite congested, but you have to know when to travel on it, that's all. I googled/mapquested this particular place to the Burlington Mall which is located at 75 Middlesex Turnpike and it's roughly 20 minute away, of course, that's without traffic! I'd still live in this particular one in a heart beat for that type of $$$ a month, you'd be ahead then. Check it out to see what you think on the Craigslist site, it'll bring you right to it, as well as others. Keep checking this site every day too, you'll see them change quite a bit daily and also you'll see all the good ones on here, believe me! You have to try to scoop one up quick this time of year with the college students going back to school next month.

I know you want to live closer to the City, yet easy access to Burlington. Davis Square or Inman Square apartments would be where a lot of the students will want to live I would think due to Tufts being near this whole area, just naming one of the colleges, there's several others of course near those squares. I know from experience, the rents will be jacked up sky high you know, due to that happening.

Another thought for you is Winthrop. Did you think about living near the coast? It's got a few rentals in your range there. I checked the Highlands site and saw them on there. I can't show you the address here due to their restrictions, but just google Winthrop, MA rentals and/or check the Highlands site by googling it and then when you get there, just click on rentals and you'll see them. The MBTA would be here. Another place you should check is Stoneham may be? That might be a good area to live where it's right along I-93 just a few exits more to go for either Burlington or downtown Boston for that matter and there's "T" buses that run thru here where it's not too far from Melrose/Malden at all.

Best of luck where ever you end up living!

Last edited by CityGirl52; 07-05-2009 at 06:44 AM..

Old 07-05-2009, 01:50 PM

1,270 posts, read 5,416,817 times
Default Wakefield-Melrose-Arlingtonq

Try Arlington-has good subway-bus connections

Also try Wakefield-Melrose

Old 07-05-2009, 01:51 PM

Default Davis Square

Look into Davis Square- Somerville-Medford

Old 07-06-2009, 04:06 PM

2 posts, read 3,695 times
Thanks for the recommendations.

I have been checking craigslist. I am looking into east arlington, somerville-davis sq and west medford. $1200 doesnt go far in arlington or davis sq. I might be able to get a nicer place around winter hill but not sure about the neighborhood.

WRT wakefield, melrose and andover they are further away from the city than I would like to be. I live in North Andover right now and even though it is a good town there isnt much going on for a 25 year old. Also the commute to Burlington is a pain.

Old 07-06-2009, 05:21 PM

406 posts, read 1,497,016 times
Winter Hill is more or less safe, it's just not as "pretty" as other parts of Somerville, like Davis Square for instance. I used to live quite nearby and never had any problems. I took the 101 to Sullivan Square station every day, sometimes quite late at night. Somerville can be tricky, because unless you know the area you may not be aware of how close you actually are to Davis or Union Squares via back roads, etc. Just something to consider--that "out of the way" apartment near Winter Hill might actually be a short walk to all Davis Square has to offer.

Old 07-07-2009, 01:26 AM

Thumbs up Arlington or Davis SQ

Why not Davis Sq- right on the red line - and you can take Route 2 out to Burlington

or Alrlington area.. plenty of bus service and "T" Red line service nearby -
right on route 2 for easy access to Burlington

Waltham might be another option (Commuter rail into the city) good apartments and right on 128
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston